Getting XBMC working on Apple TV (using only windows)
dja1ien Wrote:I had this exact same issue, it seems to be related to attempting to install on partition0 of the device. I have had success installing instead to partition1 (and looking at the device after install, all partitions appear to have been created correctly by dd). I've not been able to get any install to work using the removable filter though, it always stops and says the usb device doesn't match the filter, so I've just been using dd.exe.

I haven't had success actually getting it installed on the atv though, both of my flash drives boot and load the kernel, but then sit at "waiting for boot device" or some such error, rather than continuing the install. I'm assuming this is because they're incompatible and I need to get my hands on a known working flash drive, can anybody confirm?

I went out and bought a 1G DataTraveler, same result. "Access is Denied" on the mountvol command. As I look at the USB drive, it has only a primary partiition. Should there be another one? What exactly is the mountvol doing? Sorry, very new to this.
Vista is a cruel mistress Smile Solve the permission problem and it should work.
Ah, now my first one that failed was a SanDisk 4GB Cruzer - I get the impression that the ATV is very picky!

Is there anyone you know with XP that could help you get past this stage and rule out vista?
So I got an aTv today with the intentions of getting XBMC up and running on it tonight. However "The Machines" have a different plan.

I am using a Transcend JetFlash V30 2GB

I have fallowed every step and everything seems to work fine through step 8.... step 9 is where the real fun is beginning. aTv boots from the USB but only takes a second or two before I see, "Caused Wake Event (EHCI)" Then a second after that it says "Waiting on root device", over and over.Huh

Seeing that I am new at this sort of thing, I am stumped. I have tried creating the boot twice, both times stalling out at the same place.

Any and all help is appreciated!
Update.... It works!

As a last ditch effort I d/l avtpatchstick2.1 from a different site. This time it worked... I am not questioning anything. I am drinking a beer and going to bed!
Thats great to hear - enjoy XBMC (and the beer Smile)
davilla Wrote:Vista is a cruel mistress Smile Solve the permission problem and it should work.

I finally got past the mountvol denial by using another Vista machine (I'm surrounded by crappy MS products). The dd-removable command is hanging up. Saying the media does not match the "removable" filter. The" dd --list" shows the USB drive is removable media other than a floppy drive. Anyone have any suggestions?
jhauer Wrote:I finally got past the mountvol denial by using another Vista machine (I'm surrounded by crappy MS products). The dd-removable command is hanging up. Saying the media does not match the "removable" filter. The" dd --list" shows the USB drive is removable media other than a floppy drive. Anyone have any suggestions?

It would be helpful to see the commands and output of the commands that you are using Smile
davilla Wrote:It would be helpful to see the commands and output of the commands that you are using Smile

C:\Users\jack.hauer\Desktop\ATV Hack>dd-removable.exe --list
rawwrite dd for windows version 0.5.
Written by John Newbigin <[email protected]>
This program is covered by the GPL. See copying.txt for details

NT Block Device Objects
\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0
link to \\?\Device\Harddisk1\DR17
Removable media other than floppy. Block size = 512
size is 1008730112 bytes

C:\Users\jack.hauer\Desktop\ATV Hack>dd-removable.exe if=atvpatchstick2.1.img of
=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\DR17 bs=1M --progress
Output file does not match device filter removable
dd will not continue
jhauer Wrote:C:\Users\jack.hauer\Desktop\ATV Hack>dd-removable.exe --list

NT Block Device Objects
\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0
link to \\?\Device\Harddisk1\DR17
Removable media other than floppy. Block size = 512
size is 1008730112 bytes

C:\Users\jack.hauer\Desktop\ATV Hack>dd-removable.exe if=atvpatchstick2.1.img of
=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\DR17 bs=1M --progress
Output file does not match device filter removable
dd will not continue

Quote:\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0

This is the device id you should be using.

so

Quote:dd-removable.exe if=atvpatchstick2.1.img of=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0 bs=1M --progress
davilla Wrote:This is the device id you should be using.

so

=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0 bs=1M --progress
3,145,728Error writing file: 5 Access is denied
4+0 records in
3+0 records out

C:\Users\jack.hauer\Desktop\ATV Hack>
Quote:Error writing file: 5 Access is denied

Vista permission problem, I found this with a google search:

Quote:In Vista you cannot simply be logged in as an administrator, you have to run the application as administrator. Normally you can right could right click on the application and select "Run as administrator", but this will not work in this situation. You have to open the "command prompt" as administrator,

This is exactly why I don't run Vista Smile

If this does not work, then try http://www.winimage.com/. Never tried it myself.
davilla Wrote:Vista permission problem, I found this with a google search:

This is exactly why I don't run Vista Smile

If this does not work, then try http://www.winimage.com/. Never tried it myself.

I agree regarding Vista. I will be dumping eventually.
After checking out the site you recommended I decided to give this one more try. Running CMD ADMIN allowed me to have access. I made it almost all the way through. I'm so close I can taste it.

1,008,730,112Error writing file: 27 The drive cannot find the sector requested
963+0 records in
962+0 records out

jhauer Wrote:I agree regarding Vista. I will be dumping eventually.
After checking out the site you recommended I decided to give this one more try. Running CMD ADMIN allowed me to have access. I made it almost all the way through. I'm so close I can taste it.

1,008,730,112Error writing file: 27 The drive cannot find the sector requested
963+0 records in
962+0 records out

Does size matter? I just noticed the image is slightly larger than the bs-1M. Since this is a IGB drive can I change the bs setting to bs=2M? or 1112k?
You're having the same problem I had. You need to get a larger USB stick!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Getting XBMC working on Apple TV (using only windows)2