Getting XBMC working on Apple TV (using only windows)
fantastic, I look forward to seeing the new tool... I have been trying to get my apple tv to work with images on the net with no success.

thanks.

Jason
Looks like Davilla gave the ultimate workaround, Thanks.
Slight delay on this, got caught up in the US elections last night Smile
davilla Wrote:Slight delay on this, got caught up in the US elections last night Smile

Any chance we'll see this tonight? Waiting anxiously Nod
davilla Wrote:Slight delay on this, got caught up in the US elections last night Smile

Crap, and another delay -- my life is not my own Sad Maybe I can slip some time in at work tomorrow.
davilla Wrote:Crap, and another delay -- my life is not my own Sad Maybe I can slip some time in at work tomorrow.

Patiently waiting.... Nod
KevinSartori Wrote:Quick update for anyone interested. Lumpsack's directions work perfectly! I got a larger USB stick and everything works fine! There's one thing I'd like to mention here that I found in another thread that's very important:

I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I couldn't add an additional skin (Horizonz, FTW!). WinSCP just wouldn't let me create a folder or file! To correct this, open up PuTTY and type:

sudo mount -uw /

hit enter, then type:

touch /.readwrite

and hit enter again. This will allow you to transfer files over to the AppleTV.

Thanks again for the help, Lumpsack! You da man!

Thanks for this post. You saved me many hours.
pooh Wrote:ok, little update on my 'USB enabling' venture.

It tuned out that USB WAS enabled, but NTFS (My USB disk was NTFS formatted) is NOT supported by default..... Hence the HD not showing up on my ATV....

I'v erased and reformated the disk from within the ATV on the console (USB disk connected) with:

sudo diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk1 1 JournaledHFS+ USB 149G

1. /dev/disk1 = my usb disk as shown by the command 'diskutil list'
2. '1' = partition the disk as 1 big partition
3. JournaledHFS+ = MAC filesystem
4. USB = Disklabel name
5. 149G how big the partition should be

et voila! All of a sudden the USB disk appears on my ATV/XBMC etc..

Output of 'diskutil list' now shows:
/dev/disk1
#: type name size identifier
0: GUID_partition_scheme *149.1 GB disk1
1: EFI 34.0 MB disk1s1
2: Apple_HFS USB 149.0 GB disk1s2

Thanks,
-HF

I just wantd to let you know that after following your usb drive enabling directions, my Western Digital 1TB external hd connected to the atv without having to be mac formatted...I am guessing because it was mac tools and windows tools already located on the drive that it was able to read it...thanks for your help.
Another update, the injector is done as well as the dos batch script and the disk image. Just need to test it (at work right now) to make sure it really does work Smile

I'll post an announce here when it hits the download page on the atvusb-creator site.
Thank you, this worked flawlessly for me.

One "workaround" I had to use was to find the removable disk names and do the DD commands with dd.exe. It kept telling me that dd-removable could not find the correct type of drive.

I used 2 flash drives and had the same results..otherwise this was a flawless guide. Thank you very much.

Also XBMC is awesome on the Atv!
Once Launcher installed, I could not get XBMC and Boxee downloaded. 'Download failed'
Turned off ATV screensaver and everything worked then.

Another thing to remember for newbies like me is to upgrade ATV OS before installing XBMC or you will have to reinstall everything ;-)

Thanks a lot guys, what would ATV be without XBMC??!!
Interim solution released see;

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=40446
Thats great cheers davilla Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Getting XBMC working on Apple TV (using only windows)2