Using the Apple Remote in XBMC
Hi there,

Since most Apple hardware (Macs and Apple TV) come with a pretty neat remote, I think everyone using XBMC on such devices would enjoy using the Apple Remote. At least, I do :-)

Even though the Apple Remote works great in XBMC, the way the controls are mapped is a bit weird. Especialyl for people who have used the Apple TV/ FrontRow in the past.

So here is a very short Keymap.xml file that tries to simulates FrontRow's behaviour in XBMC. It makes using the Apple Remote a pleasure !

Since I cannot add attachements to the thread, here is the content of the Keymap.xml file :

Code:
<keymap>
    <global>
        <remote> <!-- Apple Remote configuration -->
          <menu>ContextMenu</menu>         <!-- Menu, long press -->
        </remote>
    </global>
    <FullscreenVideo>
        <remote> <!-- Apple Remote configuration -->
            <left>BigStepBack</left>       <!-- Left -->
            <right>BigStepForward</right>  <!-- Right -->
            <up>VolumeUp</up>              <!-- Up -->
            <down>VolumeDown</down>        <!-- Down -->
            <back>OSD</back>               <!-- Menu, short press -->
            <menu>Stop</menu>              <!-- Menu, long press -->
            <select>Play</select>          <!-- Play/Pause, short press  -->
        </remote>
    </FullscreenVideo>
</keymap>
Total newbie here - where do I put this file? Thanks.
Yes, where does it go?
You put the file in /Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata/keymap.xml
EMHMark3 Wrote:You put the file in /Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata/keymap.xml
Thanks! I assume that 'username' is 'frontrow' for AppleTV.
How well does this keymap work in the Pictures area? Specifically, I have opened up some .cbz and .cbr comic files and I can't get the remote to zoom in so I can read the text better. Does your keymap file allow zooming in the Pictures area?
EMHMark3 Wrote:You put the file in /Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata/keymap.xml

Another newbie question...

So you just take the code you've provided above, paste it into a text file, save it, and drop it into the location you indicate? What do you name the file?

I'm not a tech guru, and this is a bit beyond my realm of experience.

I haven't even successfully got XBMC loaded onto my ATV yet (see my post), but it looks like I'll have to figure out the ATV remote problem once I've figured out how to get XBMC loaded onto my ATV.
ECCO, you seem to know your way around the Apple remote - any chance you have any tips for using it in a windows environment..? What receiver i would need in my PC etc? Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using the Apple Remote in XBMC0