• 3(current)
MediaStream v0.95 Released (13/10/2008)
It's as opaque as it is currently as that seemed the optimum for transparency without making the text illegible. In actual fact there's been far more posts regarding the text not being readable than there has about making the overlay more transparent so I doubt it's gonna happen.

When we reach v1.00 then the plan is to open up the skin in SVN so everyone has access to all the textures etc so if someone wants to take it on then and make brighter mods then that's cool with me Cool
Thx haken, worked like a charm Smile

Oh and thx goes to the shaving mackerel crew as well. Awesome how you somehow managed to make this functional and good looking at the same time. Thats not an easy task! I only wish it was a bit more focus on fanart, but that would probably ruin readability, so I guess it has to stay the way it is =)
skunkm0nkee Wrote:It's as opaque as it is currently as that seemed the optimum for transparency without making the text illegible. In actual fact there's been far more posts regarding the text not being readable than there has about making the overlay more transparent so I doubt it's gonna happen.

When we reach v1.00 then the plan is to open up the skin in SVN so everyone has access to all the textures etc so if someone wants to take it on then and make brighter mods then that's cool with me Cool

Yea I agree, text legibility should be prioritized over looks.

Regarding the opacity... could it be done such that it's something in between the "lite" and "standard" versions? The lite version of media stream has an constant opacity that allows for the entire fanart to be seen. The text is legible and the entire fanart does show fairly well. So an idea would be to modify the current overlay in the "standard" version such that the dark areas have the same opacity as the "lite" version. Here are some shots, notice the difference:

Standard version:

Lite version:

BTW, It's great that you guys are planning on opening up the skin. I think a lot of good enhancements can come out of that which could make their way back to the source.
Here's a quick mock-up of the merge:

lite+standard:
THANKS FOR THE BEST XBMC EXPERIENCE SO FAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Question:
is anyone else having issue swhen you display lyrics..

they come up like this
lyric line1lyric line 2lyric line3
instead of the old way
lyric line 1
lyric line 2
lyric line 3
Huh?
you must compile new xbmclyrics from svn and copy it into xbmc/skins/mediastream/extras directory. New build works ok.

You can also download a working script here (built one): http://www.solidexpert.com/xbmclyrics_rev2376.zip
Updated: Switched plot and thumb locations in Video OSD

This looks very bad when plot is turn off Sad

Also, media count isn't center vertically when using bigger font and i notice overlay in movies rating (number of votes and stars).

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
xbs08 Wrote:Updated: Switched plot and thumb locations in Video OSD

This looks very bad when plot is turn off Sad
Yep, should have thought of that. Have now updated it for the next release so that thumb will sit on right (as before) if the plot is hidden.

xbs08 Wrote:Also, media count isn't center vertically when using bigger font
Fixed for next release.

xbs08 Wrote:i notice overlay in movies rating (number of votes and stars).
Which view/dialog? (Are you running 4x3 or 720p?)
About the vertical alignment with the new font, I think you have to look it over everywhere.

Like the "refresh" and "settings" buttons on the weatherpage. The "options" and "lyrics" buttons on the horizontal musicpanel in fullscreen visualisation.. to name few places where I´ve seen that it looks a bit off.
Htpc 1: Intel E8400@3GHz : Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2 G33 : Nvidia 9400GT : Antec Fusion V2 : MCE Remote : Windows 7 64bit : Dharma : Confluence : 1920x1080
Htpc 2: Zotac Zbox HD-ID11 : MCE Remote : Windows 7 64bit : Dharma : Confluence : 1920x108
There is also a problem with allignment in Episodes View (Episode names are too low, not in the middle)
yellowman Wrote:About the vertical alignment with the new font, I think you have to look it over everywhere.

Believe us we are but in trying to keep releasing the updated skin to you guys once a week means we can't notice every problem in such a short time frame. If people do spot things then it helps to let us know so that we can make sure we've dealt with it Big Grin
having a look at all of the screenshots posts over the last couple of pages, I would have to say NO, NO, NO!!!

I can genuinely understand that people want to have a skin that matches thier needs, but as a designer I'm going to stick my neck out and say that it's just not possible to incorporate every request that's posted. With regards to the blacks, I'm going to say....sorry,but that's the design i came up with. I never wanted a slightly opaque black panel so that all of the bg could be seen.

I designed the overlay panel as it is because I wanted to incorporate some of the background whilst not detracting from the media...which actually is the focus for the skin. I wouldn't be happy creating a black opaque flat panel, because it then begins to move away from the design.

It's a black skin...it uses slightly transparent overlays to show some of the images behind. If you dont want a skin that is as black or as dark as MediaStream is, then there's loads of other skins to choose from.

It's simply inconcievable to say "this is a kick-ass skin...it's beautiful, it's perfect....oh, can you please change this, this, this and this"

Views and text highlighting? Fill yer boots. Anything that detracts from the design of the skin I would put my foot down on personally.

/endrant
skunkm0nkee Wrote:Believe us we are but in trying to keep releasing the updated skin to you guys once a week means we can't notice every problem in such a short time frame. If people do spot things then it helps to let us know so that we can make sure we've dealt with it Big Grin

I've noticed this as well - wouldn't it be easier to just adjust the font so it's slightly higher?

PS I have no idea how fonts work so forgive me.
Mike, thanks for the insights. I'm surprised you are taking this so negatively :p I'm also surprised that you say that you never wanted a slightly opaque panel because the lite version of the skin features exactly one of those! Wink

Also, I don't think such a change has anything to do with media stream being a black skin... none at all. I love the black theme, it screams Cinema, Big Cinema, it's great.

The lite version of media stream features the opacity that some of us in this thread are suggesting about. We are not making it up, it's there :p Smile Personally I don't see it taking away from the overall theme. But obviously we may differ on this, no problem with that Wink

Regarding the screenshots, I was i afraid they might be taken wholeheartedly, at least the mock-up was only intended as "rough draft" since it's something i did quickly given the available screenshots. I think the final overlay could be more similar to the standard one, than the lite one. Could it be something worth playing with?

Anyway, I respect your take on this, and appreciate your insights. Please don't take this as an attack or disrespect of any sort; if we can keep the discussion going I think it can only lead to a productive outcome Wink
skunkm0nkee Wrote:Which view/dialog? (Are you running 4x3 or 720p?)

It overlays in the info screen of a movie (but only if that specific movie has many votes), i'm running 720p.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MediaStream v0.95 Released (13/10/2008)3