Dolby TrueHD (E-AC3/MLP) and DTS-HD Master Audio (DTS++) support in XBMC?
update to the new ffmpeg
Hi there,

I have a capable 7.1 system that supports latest HD audio codecs such as DTS HD Master Audio and/or Dolby TreHD. I also have a nice collection of BDs with those formats so I would like to convert them to mkvs with these HD audio codecs embedded and use XBMC to play them. So this way, I am preserving my master BD copy and I am using wonderful XBMC library to access all of my media in its all glory 1080p and DTS HD Master Audio and/or Dolby TreHD.

Can someone help me how to do that? I have built myself a dedicated HTPC for XBMC with i5 Intel processor that supports thesecodecs via HDMI and also my motherboard is Asrock H55 which supports 7.1 DTS HD Master Audio and/or Dolby TreHD.

Can someone please help me with this setup as this is the only outstanding thing that I need to configure within XBMC which would make me a very happy person and extremely pleased with this setup.

Thanks,
Kotek67
At this time XBMC doesn't support HD Audio - though work is underway to provide a new Audio Engine, which will allow bitstreaming.

In the meantime rip your Blu's to mkv with the HD Audio codec of your choice - currently XBMC natively will play either the DTS core (from the DTS-HD MA track) or convert to LPCM (From a True-HD track). I'm sure it won't be too long before bitstream will be available.

Alternative is to rip the audio track to FLAC (same Audio just that your receiver won't light up like a christmas tree).
steelman1991 Wrote:At this time XBMC doesn't support HD Audio - though work is underway to provide a new Audio Engine, which will allow bitstreaming.

In the meantime rip your Blu's to mkv with the HD Audio codec of your choice - currently XBMC natively will play either the DTS core (from the DTS-HD MA track) or convert to LPCM (From a True-HD track). I'm sure it won't be too long before bitstream will be available.

Alternative is to rip the audio track to FLAC (same Audio just that your receiver won't light up like a christmas tree).

Thanks steelman1991, much appreciated Smile

Can you please let me know (or point me to the link) of what process to use to create mkv of my BDs with FLAC audio ?

Are you 100% sure that the FLAC audio version will be the same as DTS HD MA or Dolby TrueHD apart from reciever not showing it - what will it show ?

And finally, do I need to do anything special in Dharma to make the FLAC format work once mkv with it is created ?

Thanks,
Kotek67
One option is Another EAC3to GUI - http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198879.

Yes they are exactly the same - only compressed in a different container. Quite frankly I have a great deal of difficulty hearing a difference between bog standard DD/DTS and the newer HD Audio offerings, but that's a debate for another time. I only use FLAC because I can LOL - not that I hear any discernible difference.

Only change I made to my set-up was System\System\Audio\Audio Output - WASAPI option - this ensures that the audio bypasses the Windows sound mixer and therefore the audio is receved by the receiver unaltered.
steelman1991 Wrote:One option is Another EAC3to GUI - http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198879.

Yes they are exactly the same - only compressed in a different container. Quite frankly I have a great deal of difficulty hearing a difference between bog standard DD/DTS and the newer HD Audio offerings, but that's a debate for another time.

There is a big difference man Smile Just look at normal DTS/Dolby bitrates vs. HD formats - much different Smile

Only change I made to my set-up was System\System\Audio\Audio Output - WASAPI option - this ensures that the audio bypasses the Windows sound mixer and therefore the audio is receved by the receiver unaltered.

What does exactlt WASAPI stand for ? And btw, when I select I cannot hear anything , what gives ? What audio output should I be using anyways ?

Thanks,
Kotek67
Kotek67 Wrote:What does exactlt WASAPI stand for ? And btw, when I select I cannot hear anything , what gives ? What audio output should I be using anyways ?

Thanks,
Kotek67
standing for Windows Audio Session API
Starting from windows vista and newer. Usually you need to change this setting when use a computer with a tv and a monitor. When you switch to your tv and you want another audio output than example your head phone.
tiben20 Wrote:standing for Windows Audio Session API
Starting from windows vista and newer. Usually you need to change this setting when use a computer with a tv and a monitor. When you switch to your tv and you want another audio output than example your head phone.

Thanks Tiben20,
Should be Linux support soon, isn't it?
At least ffmpeg has already done it's part:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel/121073

Event MythTV is implementing it.
Dolby TrueHD, developed by Dolby Laboratories, is an advanced lossless audio codec based on Meridian Lossless Packing. Support for the codec was mandatory for HD DVD and is optional for Blu-ray Disc hardware.

http://www.meridian-audio.com/w_paper/mlp_jap_new.PDF
I mean that HDMI passthrough for E-AC3, MLP and DTS-HD was already implemented into ffmpeg, so should be easy to do this work available to xbmc, isn't it?

plue Wrote:Should be Linux support soon, isn't it?
At least ffmpeg has already done it's part:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel/121073

Event MythTV is implementing it.
seeing that the work in ffmpeg was done by anssi, who is also an xbmc dev, you go figure.. Wink it's coming with ae.
Are there any news in decoding hd master and true hd to mini jacks?
I don't see any options for enabling hd master true hd in options.
Would also interest me if there is a possibility to passthrough real hd audio to my receiver..
I am entirely new to the XBMC arena and request some help from you experts out there.
I want to venture into the HTPC area and what I have are -
1. A hp8440p (core i5 @ 2.4 GHz + Nvidia NVS 3100M Video + 4 GB RAM) as my HTPC.
2. A later version of Pioneer receiver than decode DTS-MA, Dolby True HD and a bunch of other audio codecs.

The questions I have for you gents are:
1. XBMC under which OS would be better for Highdef. Audio? I currently have Win7 x64 installed, along with XBMC and Daniella's patch for HD Audio. Do I continue with this or move to XBMC under Ubuntu?
2. The laptop (hp8440p) has a DVI port and I plan to connect it to the receiver using a DVI-->HDMI adapter cable. Will this work?
3. My TV shows, movies and music are stored in a external USB drive (NTFS format), which I plan to connect to laptop using a USB 2.0 connection. Is this fast enough for the video (especially the mkv format)?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dolby TrueHD (E-AC3/MLP) and DTS-HD Master Audio (DTS++) support in XBMC?1