Patchstick Not Working - Can't Add XBMC to AppleTV
Question 
Hi there!

I just found out this evening that XBMC can be added to my Apple TV. I immediately proceeded to follow the instructions at http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/ to add XBMC functionality to my ATV. Everything seemed to go perfectly for creating the USB "Patchstick." When I checked my USB stick, the new files perfectly matched the screenshot showing how it was supposed to look.

I then...

1. Powered down my ATV
2. Inserted the USB stick
3. Restarted ATV
4. Waited until it appeared the USB had completed the boot/patch
5. Powered down my ATV
6. Powered ATV up again.

No luck... nothing appeared to have changed when my ATV booted up again.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong? How long should I allow the USB to do its work with the boot/patch? I'm not much of a tech guru, and I couldn't tell from the long string of code that appeared when I tried the boot/patch whether it had worked or not. All I know is that nothing has changed now on my ATV.

I'm wondering if my problem has to do with the fact that I'm running AppleTV 2.2, and the ATV USB Creator only allowed me to select "AppleTV version 2.1." I couldn't understand the section that explained how to make the update for 2.2. I couldn't tell if it was something that needed to be done to the USB files, or if it was something I could do once I'd installed XBMC on my ATV.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do now to add XBMC to my ATV?

Thanks in advance for your help!
As soon as the patch-dialog says: Reboot you ATV, you are done and can remove the USB-Stick and reboot your ATV (by plugging out the power and replugging it after 10sec.)
Then there should be a menu saying XBMC and their you first install the 0.2 Launcher...wait for it to finish and then Update to Atlantis Beta2...
Thanks for the info, Sheerkhan.

I never saw the dialog "Reboot your ATV."

What happened after I inserted the USB stick and repowered the ATV was...

1. The "penguin and ATV" icon appeared.
2. A long series of code started flashing across the screen for about 10 seconds.
3. Then it stopped and nothing further happened for about half an hour.
4. I assumed it was complete, unplugged the ATV, removed the USB, and then repowered. That's when I discovered nothing had changed on my ATV menu.

After trying the boot/patch the first time I went into my ATV and did a Factory restore since the installation info indicated if I tried the boot/patch a second time without doing a factory restore I would run into problems. After I had completed the factory restore I tried running the patch again. Same thing happened again (same series of code dialog as well). I didn't give it as much time the second time around because nothing further seemed to have happened after that initial code flashed down the screen for about 10 seconds. Again, once unplugged, removed USB, and plugged in again nothing had changed on the ATV menu.

What should I do now? Should I try recreating the USB Patchstick? It looked to me like there wasn't any problem with it, but I can't figure out what else to do?

Is there something else I should be trying?

I really wish I could figure this out, because I'm totally pumped to give XBMC a try... it looks amazing!
Sounds like maybe your USB stick doesnt do full work, try with other jumpdrive.

I tried with some old ones i had and was stuck it didnt patch anything but it boot one of them, then tried a 4gb memorex those with E3 launcher and it worked.
Thanks lute. I'll give that a try.
Yep! A newer USB stick worked. Yeah!

Now I just have to figure out how to get XBMC to read my computer's video files...

Thanks for your help, everyone!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Patchstick Not Working - Can't Add XBMC to AppleTV0