HOW-TO add and scan media files into XBMC Library
outatouch0 Wrote:A few ideas that may or may not help, perhaps you have already tried...
FWIW
Try assigning the external drive a drive letter via your HTPC. Then you should see this in your "sources" list of options.

Put your media in a folder on this drive and make sure it is a "shared" folder. Though this should not matter if the drive is attached to the HTPC. But you never know. Anyhow, this folder should then show up in your list of sources.

Well come to think of it this pertains to Win7... I you are using linux, mac, live.... then IDK.
FWIW? Sorry dont know what this means.

I'll try your ideas ^_^ and I'm running it on Win7.

Thanx again,
Spiktsu.
i'm going to ask this question here because my eyes keep glazing over trying to understand the minutiae of the guide. i'm running xbmc on a second gen apple tv. i have my media on a shared network drive and file sharing is on. if i try to add sources and browse, this drive does not show up. if i want to add the path manually, do i use the ip address of the router the drive is connected to? sorry for the totally newb question. and thanks!
I'm also having trouble adding an external hard drive as a source. None of the above options seemed to help
ok, give this a try: main menu Videos, add source, Windows Network (SMB), browse... see if you can navigate to the drive.

What is the external drive connected to btw? Is it connected to the htpc or another computer on your network?
When you go to "my computer" do you see this external drive?
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
outatouch0 Wrote:ok, give this a try: main menu Videos, add source, Windows Network (SMB), browse... see if you can navigate to the drive.

What is the external drive connected to btw? Is it connected to the htpc or another computer on your network?
When you go to "my computer" do you see this external drive?

The external drive is connected to directly to the HTPC. The drive shows up in videos as something like "483.5GB Drive". I can go into it and play whatever video i want but with none of the media info.
spiktsu Wrote:FWIW? Sorry dont know what this means.

I'll try your ideas ^_^ and I'm running it on Win7.

Thanx again,
Spiktsu.
FWIW = For What It's Worth
You are using windows so assigning a drive letter to your usb drive connected to the htpc should make the usb drive visible to the ADD SOURCE.

Main Menu --> VIDEOS --> ADD SOURCE --> Browse..., Set Content and options.

Report back if this solved the problem so others can benefit too Cool
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
g0beau Wrote:i'm going to ask this question here because my eyes keep glazing over trying to understand the minutiae of the guide. i'm running xbmc on a second gen apple tv. i have my media on a shared network drive and file sharing is on. if i try to add sources and browse, this drive does not show up. if i want to add the path manually, do i use the ip address of the router the drive is connected to? sorry for the totally newb question. and thanks!

You should be able to add this drive via
Main Menu --> VIDEOS --> ADD SOURCE --> Browse..., Set Content and options.

BROWSE --> Windows Network (SMB) will list your network devices, select the computer/device the shared drive is on, continue navigaing to the source folder.
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
gnolan Wrote:I'm also having trouble adding an external hard drive as a source. None of the above options seemed to help

See the two posts above and let us know if they help or not. If not please provide more details on your hardware/software setup etc.
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
outatouch0 Wrote:See the two posts above and let us know if they help or not. If not please provide more details on your hardware/software setup etc.

It didn't work for me for some reason i couldn't see the external drive anywhere in the shares.

But what did get it working for me was to simply go up to the drive, find the folder on it where my movies were located, set content as movies and select automated scan. That seemed to do the trick for me.
Hi all

I've got a question. Almost everything works fine with my xbmc. Except when i add a movie in my folder on my server, and i want it in my folder movies on xbmc i have to set content all over. Just update library or scan library isnt working at all, and cant figure out what the problem is.

hope someone can help me
The only issue that is holding me back is my failure to configure XBMC to display my DVD library the way WMC does (i.e ALL the movies in a tile-like fashion, neatly organized alphabetically.). I know it is possible as I have seen several youtube videos to that effect; but alas, I am at a lost here. The default XBMC skin does not seem to show an easy way to do this...
Any help (in the form of written instructions/tutorial will be greatly appreciated)..
merijnvld Wrote:Hi all

I've got a question. Almost everything works fine with my xbmc. Except when i add a movie in my folder on my server, and i want it in my folder movies on xbmc i have to set content all over. Just update library or scan library isnt working at all, and cant figure out what the problem is.

hope someone can help me

Same issue here... sigh.. looking and searching through the forum still showed that it is an existing problem. Something to do with fast hash.

I tried to "beat the system" by updating the root directory (for example: F:/Serials to the latest date/time stamp. Cause i noticed that even though I added a file to the subdirectory F:/Serials/CSI, the subdirectory folder time/date is updated but the root directory is not. So I tried to update the root directory time/date stamp and hoped it works.

Still does not.
civicguy Wrote:Same issue here... sigh.. looking and searching through the forum still showed that it is an existing problem. Something to do with fast hash.

I tried to "beat the system" by updating the root directory (for example: F:/Serials to the latest date/time stamp. Cause i noticed that even though I added a file to the subdirectory F:/Serials/CSI, the subdirectory folder time/date is updated but the root directory is not. So I tried to update the root directory time/date stamp and hoped it works.

Still does not.

My Personal Experience: Sometimes for the scan to succeed (i.e for XBMC to successfully add a new Movie), I've found that I have to name the folder and/or *.iso image itself, as close to what the entry in imdb.com is for said movie. Also, remember that XBMC does not update the library automatically. If will so do at start-up if you set it as such. Also, you can go to the source menu and tell XMBC to rescan the drive where you added the new movie...

Hope this helps.
Is it possible to have all the FAN ART and Movie & TV show info stored on the Server
- Either along with the Media Files
- Or in Central DB/ Location
??

So that that same Fan Art & Media Info is not NEEDED to be downloaded by various instances of XBMC on the network. Have the Server or Common Location store all such info?

Is there some way to make that happen or download such info via one of the Media Managers?
I cannot find any help on this forum when it comes to the iPad. I want to add some new video sources but cannot find any help anywhere on how to do it. I would really appreciate any help of link in my quest. I have an iPad 2 jail broken with xbmc installed I want to install like icevideos and mega uploaded can anyone help? I am completely lost.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO add and scan media files into XBMC Library3