Advice for ripping DVD library to local storage?
Yeah what sion28 said... I hate all the extra crap that they put on DVDs like the commercials and FBI warnings and crap-tastic bonus features. I especially hate not being able to skip past all of that junk and instead receive a "This operation not permitted" error. Handbrake also doesn't like it when there is copy protection on a movie so I remove that too.

DVDShrink has been around for what? Like 10 years or more? It's FREE and it does a really good job at giving you just the main movie, but sometimes there is extra crafty copy protection that basically *breaks your DVD and just gives you cycling redundancy errors. For these cases I use AnyDVD. As gabbott said, AnyDVD works in the background and just grabs the movie before WindBlows has a chance to mess with it... pretty handy.

cold_realms brings up a good point, I think Handbrake does tweak the audio... regardless you will be getting a lossy file back. If keeping a pristine, perfect copy of the movie is your goal, you will need a lot more storage and you might wanna look into Blue Ray. For me, I wanted:
  1. Something that could be automated
  2. Quality that I couldn't see a difference from the DVD
  3. File size under 2GB
  4. In a format that would play back on my Playstation 3
Handbrake gave this to me (I use the PS3 preset). My plan is to archive my favorite movies, *cough (that I own) *cough into a format/quality/size that I prefer as easily as possible. My system works pretty good for me, but you should find what's most important to you.

-Mic
micster Wrote:Yeah what sion28 said... I hate all the extra crap that they put on DVDs like the commercials and FBI warnings and crap-tastic bonus features. I especially hate not being able to skip past all of that junk and instead receive a "This operation not permitted" error. Handbrake also doesn't like it when there is copy protection on a movie so I remove that too.

DVDShrink has been around for what? Like 10 years or more? It's FREE and it does a really good job at giving you just the main movie, but sometimes there is extra crafty copy protection that basically *breaks your DVD and just gives you cycling redundancy errors. For these cases I use AnyDVD. As gabbott said, AnyDVD works in the background and just grabs the movie before WindBlows has a chance to mess with it... pretty handy.

cold_realms brings up a good point, I think Handbrake does tweak the audio... regardless you will be getting a lossy file back. If keeping a pristine, perfect copy of the movie is your goal, you will need a lot more storage and you might wanna look into Blue Ray. For me, I wanted:
  1. Something that could be automated
  2. Quality that I couldn't see a difference from the DVD
  3. File size under 2GB
  4. In a format that would play back on my Playstation 3
Handbrake gave this to me (I use the PS3 preset). My plan is to archive my favorite movies, *cough (that I own) *cough into a format/quality/size that I prefer as easily as possible. My system works pretty good for me, but you should find what's most important to you.

-Mic
Handbrake leaves AC3 alone. Only for the 0.01% or us that have the necessary setup to play back and enjoy DTS, Handbrake might reduce it to 8 discrete AAC channels in pristine quality. But then, that's lossy. If you can hear the difference between PCM and 160kbps AAC you should be a highly paid audio engineer.

Did I mention AC3 is lossy?
rernst Wrote:Handbrake leaves AC3 alone. Only for the 0.01% or us that have the necessary setup to play back and enjoy DTS, Handbrake might reduce it to 8 discrete AAC channels in pristine quality. But then, that's lossy. If you can hear the difference between PCM and 160kbps AAC you should be a highly paid audio engineer.

Did I mention AC3 is lossy?

Yes but ac3 and dts have different values for the LFE channel not to mention various subtle other changes that I simply do not trust to a converter Smile Personal preference of course.

And for the storage issue 1.5TB HDD are dirt cheap these days Nod
cold_realms Wrote:Yes but ac3 and dts have different values for the LFE channel not to mention various subtle other changes that I simply do not trust to a converter Smile Personal preference of course.

And for the storage issue 1.5TB HDD are dirt cheap these days Nod
1.5TB I saw $149.99 or so. You know a cheaper source? I am looking to buy ...
And with the DTS->AC3 I agree. eac3to does attempt to do it but I wound up with strange results. DTS is up to 7.1 and AC3 is 5.1 only AFAIK and the downmix is problematic. I have gotten strange results. The 8 channel AAC would work but then you'll have to know the mapping on playback time. The box I built does 8 channel analog but I really don't have a sound system that does accept that.
Technically ac3 and dts are only up to 6.1 for DTS-ES and DD-EX for standard DVD's

And 149 is dirt cheap for so much storage Smile
FYI guys I've been using DVD Decrypter and AutoGK to rip then encode to a single large avi file with a bit of compression and the original DTS/AC3 audio track.
I used to use AutoGK for years but i got sick of it cropping the video even when i told it not to it always crops something off the video. Sometimes large amounts of the image was lost. Def not good if you want to make pristine backups.
When HDD's got cheap enough i went to straight iso's. Big benefit was i no longer needed to take an hour each movie to encode, movie to iso is about 5mins Smile Makes me a happy panda

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advice for ripping DVD library to local storage?0