Advice for ripping DVD library to local storage?
I'm looking into ripping all my DVDs to my local drive, and I'm wondering what you guys have found to be the easiest way to do it. After a bit of preliminary research it looks like my 2 options are ISO or VOB/IFO. Do either of those formats have an advantage over the other? What tools would you recommend to use for ripping either format?

I've discounted ripping to avi/xvid because I've had trouble with audio sync in the past and I don't want to put up with that when I'm trying to rip hundreds of DVDs. Also I want the DD/DTS audio (not stereo MP3) and I'm not sure how to even do that in an avi, so a direct DVD rip seems to be the easiest way.

So please let me know what you guys have found to work well!

Thanks,

Nic
Duno if this type of question is ok here or not, but what I do:

AnydvdHD + dvd shrink to ISO

iso filename = movie name (year).iso

Using xbmc's multi-path sources, I put all dvd shares on a single source, tv shares on another.

I use iso's for simple file management and less clutter.

I think the main downside for iso's is less support from non-xbmc apps vs the vob folders.
depends on what file system your home storage uses,

if you use fat32 you cant go bigger then 4gb so you'll have to stick with the vob filesTongue

if you use NFTS(?) you can use bigger files so the choise is up to you..
You're right TeknoJnky this is definitely in the wrong forum, oops. I didn't notice the correct Off Topic forum which seems to already have some answers in it. I'll read up on the thread there and ask there if I find any further questions.
The easiest method of doing this is using dvdforfree and handbrake.

dvdforfree will remove decss in realtime and allow handbrake to encode without errors.
I've been ripping my DVDs using Handbrake. x264+AC3 sound with chapters. Everything's working great for me!

libdvdcss gets around the css encryption for me.
I use RipIt4Me combined with DVD Decrypter, and rip to .iso files (NTFS). If hard drive space is not a factor for you, then this is the ultimate way to archive your dvd's on a hdd. Zero compression, and XBMC reads the ISO file as if you'd inserted the dvd itself into the drive, but lots faster, and no layer break.

DVD Decrypter:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVD_Decrypter
RipIt4Me:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/RipIt4Me

RipIt4Me is only necessary if the DVD is relatively new and has some of the more modern copy protection schemes. If the dvd is more than a few years old, DVD Decrypter is fantastic on its own.

If you do want to compress the main movie file, Handbrake is a great tool, as is Super, and AutoGiordianKnot (aka AutoGK). Keeping the original AC3 and/or DTS audio stream is a piece of cake.
Here is my setup (I've succesfully ripped 500+ DVDs)...

With my Desktop I first
  1. Use AnydvdHD + dvd shrink to create an ISO
  2. Name that file properly "My_Movie.iso"
  3. transfer ripped file to my server
On the super fast server
  1. Install Handbrake
  2. Wrote a simple little Bash script to automatically run Handbrake from command line and batch process my .iso files.
This allows me to quickly rip DVDs at my convenience (which is fast, 5 min.) and have my server automatically transcode them while I'm at work or sleeping (which takes about 1-2 hours per movie).

Finally, I finish off with my desktop again and run Billyad2000's Media Companion or the forum thread. This little program creates .nfo files for all of my videos including the movie/DVD posters. That way, when I update my XBMC library all of my videos have complete information and thumbnails.
Why not just leave it as an ISO? Huh
Geeba Wrote:Why not just leave it as an ISO? Huh
Because the ISO file is the entire DVD, and isn't compressed (any more than MPEG2 is compressed) thus it takes up a LOT of room. If you only want the main movie file on your server, and not all the extras, and you don't mind some H.264 or XVID type compression, then you can cut the disk space for a move down from ~7GB (common for many modern dvd movies) to ~1GB (depending on compression used).
micster Wrote:Here is my setup (I've succesfully ripped 500+ DVDs)...

With my Desktop I first
  1. Use AnydvdHD + dvd shrink to create an ISO

Why do you need two programs just to rip? Most ripping utilities decrypt and rip to ISO in one step. For example, DVD-Decrypter, or DVDfab Decrypter (two unrelated products).
sion28 Wrote:Why do you need two programs just to rip? Most ripping utilities decrypt and rip to ISO in one step. For example, DVD-Decrypter, or DVDfab Decrypter (two unrelated products).

Anydvd is an on-the-fly dvd decrypter so its not like he is really manually using two programs to rip to ISO.
realityengine Wrote:The easiest method of doing this is using dvdforfree and handbrake.

dvdforfree will remove decss in realtime and allow handbrake to encode without errors.
Definitely Handbrake. The only thing I use. Full DVD quality (I beg to say better than DVDShrink at a fraction of the size), AC3 sound. Idiot proof. One or two click operation.
DVD shrink is good for just getting the main movie.... if you hit re-author you can select just the main title on the disk..... others I have used just give you a long list of VOB's which can get confusing if you have multi language and disks with extras on.....
Maybe I am mis-reading the site but doesn't handbrake alter the audio stream? I see that it will input a variety of audio formats but limits output to AAC, MP3, Vorbis or AC-3. If you have a DTS movie and want untouched sound then handbrake isn't for you. If you don't care about preserving original audio then yea it's great. But for true backup give it a pass.

Again I might be misreading the site but it's worth looking into.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advice for ripping DVD library to local storage?0