apple tv vs mac mini
Hi been reading some of your posts and you all obviously are extremely well versed in this subject. Sorry if this has been asked b4. Quick and dirty - have x360 and right now downloading mkv files and converting on a pc (old) to wmv and streaming from my mac to my x360. Problem: want a better way to do it. The xbmc looks great. Question - 2 alternatives I can see - go with mac mini or appletv with xbmc. I've heard the appletv is underpowered and won't work as well as mac mini. Something about appletv not being anywhere near the high def resolution and fps etc as x360 or blue ray. Movies have to be in 720p and 5.1 surround sound for my system. Can you provide any insight on this?

Gregory
Correct, the Mac Mini has more power, and some 720p movies do require more than the AppleTV has to offer at this point - particularly if it has AAC encoded audio. AppleTV is miles cheaper though (there have been reports of Target selling them for $160.)

If you are wanting an OS X machine, and have money to spend on the Mini, then that's certainly the way to go at this point.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Apple TV is about 15KW meaning $3/m
Mac Mini is about 30KW meaning $6/m
when I was referring to power I was referring to processing power - i.e. to decode hd audio and video.
bourbon Wrote:when I was referring to power I was referring to processing power - i.e. to decode hd audio and video.

MacMini (@ 2Ghz) has a factor of four greater raw cpu processing power than the AppleTV. The cpu arch is similar so one core at 1GHz vs two cores at 2Ghz. Note that this does not mean everything is four times faster as some libs will not take advantage of the dual core nature of the cpu inside the MacMini.
has anyone compared xbmc when running on mac vs on apple tv with 720p mkv or other such files?
Bourbon - I have and the mac mini plays everything that I have thrown at it for 720p while the AppleTV unforunately is just on the verge of handling the 720p content I have. Davilla was even kind enough to take a look at the video for me and he found that it is just out of the AppleTV's ability to handle the 720p video.

If you are looking to go with any decent HD, I would definately recommend the mac mini.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
apple tv vs mac mini0