New to XBMC
Hi Folks ...

I am brand-spanking-new here. I am about to begin a project and perhaps I could get some input and direction from some of you. I am pretty much overwhelmed by the amount of information here, hence the need for assistance to get going on my planning.

My end goal is to have a server with all my DVD's backed up to it ;-) and to able to stream said movies within my house (currently have 3 rooms with TV's) via the home network with the DVD experience intact.

Is this the right technology?
What kind of architecture are you folks using?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.
welcome. Do you plan on runing xbox with xbmc or a computer with xbmc? are you only looking to backup standard dvd's or do you plan on having HD content? Do you want to compress your DVD's to another format or leave them uncompressed?

this is all possible, so you are in the right place. Read the forums and ask questions and I will be happy to help if I can.

XBMC is "the" best tool for what you are trying to do.
jarod - Thanks!

Short answer ... I am not sure ... but I do know this .. I do plan on HD content - I do not plan to compress to another format. Above that - no idea what I should do.

T.
By far the cheapest option is to get hold of an XBox and mod it. This will be fine for playing and streaming in standard definition.

For High definition you may want to consider either the Linux or Windows versions. Either way you will need to invest in some pretty heavy hardware, especially for Full HD (1080p)

At the moment the XBMC software is pretty much equal on all platforms but I doubt that this will be the case in the long term. The XBox is an old platform with very limited in both CPU power and Memory, it is stretched to the limit now, as more features are added I would expect to see people moving away from it.

Any way you choose, there is no doubt in my mind that XBMC is the best software for the task.
there is one thing xbmc is missing in the windows and linux versions that people overlook. Milkdrop
Hack_kid Wrote:there is one thing xbmc is missing in the windows and linux versions that people overlook. Milkdrop

true but milkdrop is directx only and thats why we use projectm its an open source opengl milkdrop clone. Sure it can't play all the latest milks but it does most

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New to XBMC0