How to clone XBMC install on one PC to use on another
Is there a way to make a clone of one of my XBMC machine's install to use on another? The two machines are different hardware, but I have always used the exact same Live and configuration on both machines. So they get set up the exact same. I tried clonezilla, but that didn't work because the system I want to clone is on a larger hard drive than the one I want to restore.

Is there any way to do this?
You can shrink the hd on the source machine and try clonezilla, but there is no garantee it it will work with different hardware. Not sure about the details on linux.

I think acronis and norton ghost can clone to a smaller disk, but not 100% sure.
RockDawg Wrote:Is there a way to make a clone of one of my XBMC machine's install to use on another? The two machines are different hardware, but I have always used the exact same Live and configuration on both machines. So they get set up the exact same. I tried clonezilla, but that didn't work because the system I want to clone is on a larger hard drive than the one I want to restore.

Is there any way to do this?

Try using clonezilla to clone the partition instead of the disk. Assuming the partition is bootable it shouldn't matter what size the disk is if the partition will fit on the new disk. If it wont fit then shrink the partition.
Yeah, of course I mean shrink the partition
On the machine I want to clone, I setup XBMC to use the while drive. So three partition will still bee larger than three drive on the second machine. How do I shrink the partition on the machine I want to clone?
I am not sure whats going on in the first line, but to answer the second: You can shrink it with e.g. a gparted live cd or any such tool. Dial it up in the google
Just shrink the partition in parted and use DD to transfer it to the other system. You'll then have to change:
  • udev rule (to avoid eth0 becoming eth1)
  • The hostname (otherwise get network conflict)
  • Regenerate a new SSH key
I am shrinking the partition now. What is DD?
Thanks for all the help guys. I was able to get back up and running once I shrunk the partition. I did have to change the udev rule and the SSH key, but not the hostname for what it's worth.

Thanks again!
dd is a block level disk manipulation tool. You'll want to change hostname for accurate reverse DNS or you'll get conflicts
My bad. I thought DD was a abbreviation. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to Linux. I'll look into the hostname.
It's dd not DD I just capitalised as it was using it as a verb. To change hostname just use: "hostname whatever"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to clone XBMC install on one PC to use on another0