[LIVE] HOW-TO get the original Xbox DVD Remote Kit and Dongle to work with XBMC Live
Works perfectly - the original post still needs
Code:
type: sudo vim /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
changing to:
Code:
type: sudo vim /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
... though. Honestly, it could probably do with using nano instead of vim also - it's easier to use imho, and is already installed with Live. I know to apt-get install, but many others won't.

I would highly recommend this to anyone who's considering a remote - I already had two from my old Xbox, and the USB adapter was £5.74 including shipping from this place. Every button on my remote now works, after trying a generic Maplin (VRC1100) remote and an absolutely TERRIBLE PS3 Remote with qwerty (the very worst remote I ever owned, I've bought better 'all-in-one' remotes from the pound shop - awful build quality!), it's nice to go back to the old faithful Xbox remote.

Thanks again for the tut.
Thumbs Up 
Thanks for the tut.
Back to the old remote is more then fun, it's amazing Smile
Using it's IR converted to USB, just some fooling around with it and it's USB ready Wink
(using it with the aspire revo)

Cheap!

Cheers.
Awesome info I had a MCE working but it was lacking in some important function's !
I'm now using a XBOX IR (USB mod) and with this script it's working great ! Even the "o" button is working an menu back options !! Loving it !

Would it be possible to make a turn off/on function in this script ? Because when I add te remote to my Harmony 1100 it has this option already in it.
One small question - does anyone else notice a slight lag when using the XBOX remote? I might just be too used to the super snappy response when I used it with an actual XBOX, but if there's a way to speed it up, that's be cool.
sorry nvm...i found my answer in another post

and i just wanted to add...wow this is awesome...i ended up wasting some cash on a MCE remote which has half the buttons not working...this is great...this is exactly like i needed. had an old XBOX remote...just had to buy a XBOX plug/USB adapter from ebay...thanks OP!
I was just wondering...is it possible to change some of the shortcuts for buttons on the controller? Wanted to change some of the # buttons on the controller to change screen resolution like on the old xbox game controller.

i saw this part in the code...

begin codes
LEFT 0xA9
UP 0xA6
RIGHT 0xA8
DOWN 0xA7
SELECT 0x0B
1 0xCE
2 0xCD
3 0xCC
4 0xCB
5 0xCA
6 0xC9
7 0xC8
8 0xC7
9 0xC6
0 0xCF
MENU 0xF7
DISPLAY 0xD5
REVERSE 0xE2
FORWARD 0xE3
PLAY 0xEA
PAUSE 0xE6
STOP 0xE0
SKIP- 0xDD
SKIP+ 0xDF
TITLE 0xE5
INFO 0xC3
BACK 0xD8
end codes

i'd assume i would just have to do some editing here? how do i know the codes? i
When I follow the instructions :
Run putty,
get into the root dir,
type: sudo vim /etc/lirc/hardware.conf....I get the following error:
sudo: vim: command not found.

I've tried using WinScp to "browse" to the hardware conf. file but when I try to edit it, the system wont let me save it, overwrite it, or delete it and replace it. Can anyone of you kind folks guide me the right way? Thanks

Opps! Read older post, and found the answer.
I just can't get this to work. Can I use a MCE USB Dongle with the Xbox remote (or a logitech programmed to emulate an xbox remote?)
Tried editing all the files, still nothing.
The MCE remote will work, even after deleting the details. Not sure what to do now.
Any suggestions?
What cable do you use to connect the acer revo to the pc ?
NEUR0M4NCER Wrote:One small question - does anyone else notice a slight lag when using the XBOX remote? I might just be too used to the super snappy response when I used it with an actual XBOX, but if there's a way to speed it up, that's be cool.

I had this same problem. I was using the "updated" lircd.conf that thecheekymonkey posted. Which did help me to get the Xbox remote working. I spent a few hours over the last two day's trying to get the "repeat" function to work on the remote (I don't have the patience to turn the volume down or up one button press at a time). I looked at the .lircrc option, but XBMC doesn't use this file. So it lead me to the "gap" tag line in the lircd.conf, which thecheekymonkey's updated version doesn't include. So I just copied a pasted the missing lines:

eps 30
aeps 100

one 0 0
zero 0 0
gap 163983
toggle_bit_mask 0x0

Between the "bits 8" and "begin codes" in my lircd.conf file. And bango! It works.Big Grin

P.S Oh, for anyone who's having trouble getting the remote working on a XBMCbuntu (Minimul install). You'll have to install the Lirc package first.

I hope that saves someone else some time.Wink
I just got my old Xbox remote to work with my Live Dharma beta 2 install, but browsing the library feels awful :/

The timing if a button is pressed or held down is completely off, it seems that i have to wait a full second to press it again to have XBMC respond correctly. If i'm pressing it faster, it starts scrolling way too fast. If i'm holding it down, it's scrolling but stops every few seconds.

What values in the config files have an effect on that? I'd like to tweak it a bit.
I second .nimrod's post! I've followed the instructions in this thread, spent waaay too much time on it, and ended up with a mostly-ish working orig xbox remote. I love using the old remote, but as .nimrod pointed out, the timing is off.

I've experimented with different "gap" values, and restarting lirc every time to test, but that hasn't helped. If the gap setting has the potential to help, I haven't hit on it.

I feel like, with all of us who are using the old xbox remote with xbmc live, there should be some effort to make this remote work properly. Does anyone have an idea on how to improve the delays experienced with this remote?

1. On single button press = ~1 second post-press blackout
2. On frustration-induced single-press up/down button-mashing = delayed clumps of button actions

1 & 2 have the combined effect of making multiple-single-button-press navigation almost unusable, or extremely frustrating at the least. This leads to the use of long-press navigation

3. On long-press navigation = clumps of ~8 rapid actions (focus rapidly moves 8-10 items up or down) followed by ~1sec pause, pattern repeats while holding button

These timing issues lead me to believe that there is hope for lirc processing the events from this remote correctly. It seems it's all about the remote events being processed at the wrong rate, leading to event buffering or blackout. If someone can help, it would make the current generation of xbmc (post-beloved-xbox1) truly seamless. Thanks to all who've helped so far!
I cant even log in! Connection refused. Sad using the ip and port on the xbmclive box.. no luck. Im like 2 secs from throwing the remote in the garbage can.
I had this working great before but its not working on Dharma Sad anyone have a fix?
Warpedflash Wrote:I had this working great before but its not working on Dharma Sad anyone have a fix?

Same here, someone can help please ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] HOW-TO get the original Xbox DVD Remote Kit and Dongle to work with XBMC Live0