• 7(current)
Problem with XBMC after installed ATI driver version: 8.542 (catalyst 8.10)
Is it someone who have tried to build themself, and see if that solves the problems?

I wonder if can build on the same computer I already hade xbmc installed on, without them interfer with each other?

Can someone then please write me o short guild on how to do this?

/Söder
I now understand that there was a different xbmc build for Ubuntu 8.10. I uninstalled, and reinstalled.
Still the green screen.

Then I once again tried to get the 8.552 driver, and NOW I could do it from the update manager. And TADA, I have no green screen.

I now have another problem, since I followed the guides for be able to start xbmc with the remote.

When I type "xbmc" or click on the icon, I get my settings from ~/.xbmc/userdata
but If I start with the button on my remote, I think I start it without my user, since I get another skin.

How do I fix this?

/Söder
Hi all,

Well looks like I'm in the same boat you were. Got plenty of underscan and can't seem to get rid of it. Here's the rundown (i'm running ubuntu 8.10/intrepid):

1. If i run the aticonfig query I get the wrong default values for my position and sizes
2. If I set the values manually, it works until I reboot. Then get the classic flashing and then blank screen.
3. If I use the set underscan to 0 as suggested, it doesn't do anything at all for me. I can confirm that it's been set in my amdpcsdb file.
4. This one might be new: when xserver first boots, it's in 1080p resolution (with underscan of course). After login, it waits a second, then flickers, then goes straight to 1024x768 resolution. No matter what I set it to in ATI Control Center, it always starts in 1080p and then ends up in 1024x768.
5. xbmc works flawlessly in fullscreen, 720p, except for the pesky underscan

Definitely pulling my hair out on this problem. It's been about 10 hours messing with, and it's very frustrating. I'm just about ready to scrap the whole project and go spend the 800 bucks to just get a vista HTPC and be done with it. The whole reason I started this project is so I wouldn't have to by a new PC. My windows xp setup couldn't handle the higher end MKV wrapped 720p content. Seems like it's just ATI's lack of good support for linux?

Any help would be incredibly appreciated!!
sail2371 Wrote:Hi all,

Well looks like I'm in the same boat you were. Got plenty of underscan and can't seem to get rid of it. Here's the rundown (i'm running ubuntu 8.10/intrepid):

1. If i run the aticonfig query I get the wrong default values for my position and sizes
2. If I set the values manually, it works until I reboot. Then get the classic flashing and then blank screen.
3. If I use the set underscan to 0 as suggested, it doesn't do anything at all for me. I can confirm that it's been set in my amdpcsdb file.
4. This one might be new: when xserver first boots, it's in 1080p resolution (with underscan of course). After login, it waits a second, then flickers, then goes straight to 1024x768 resolution. No matter what I set it to in ATI Control Center, it always starts in 1080p and then ends up in 1024x768.
5. xbmc works flawlessly in fullscreen, 720p, except for the pesky underscan

Definitely pulling my hair out on this problem. It's been about 10 hours messing with, and it's very frustrating. I'm just about ready to scrap the whole project and go spend the 800 bucks to just get a vista HTPC and be done with it. The whole reason I started this project is so I wouldn't have to by a new PC. My windows xp setup couldn't handle the higher end MKV wrapped 720p content. Seems like it's just ATI's lack of good support for linux?

Any help would be incredibly appreciated!!

Yeah, I've tried all the same "fixes" and I'm still having the same problems as well. Are you using HDMI? It seems like the underscan is due to a problem with the driver using HDMI only. I'm on the verge of just dumping the ATI card and getting an nVidia card. Angry
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem with XBMC after installed ATI driver version: 8.542 (catalyst 8.10)0