• 5(current)
Problem with XBMC after installed ATI driver version: 8.542 (catalyst 8.10)
u have dpms already in your xorg.conf
bexbier Wrote:u have dpms already in your xorg.conf

Yeah, but I added it after reading that post.

And what about the other problem, with XBMC. Even if I have underscan I shall be able to use 1280x720 (fullscreen) in XBMC. And I have all the options I need for fullscreen in Ubuntu 8.10 you say?

The problem with fast forwarding is nothing I've noticed...

EDIT
And even when I have erased

Option "TVOverscan" "true"
Option "NoTV" "no"

from xorg.conf, and restarted, I can't see my full desktop.
/Söder
Thing have been sooooo fucked up this night.
Had a friend over to work with my xorg.conf.
Just like me, we tried different xorg.conf and we couldnt get it to work.

Then suddenly, when running the script AT the computer connected to the screen (been using putty before) it worked. TADA!

BUT, still we couldnt find out where this script was saved.

Then we restarted, and we get no screen to the plasma with hdmi.

Tried for hours, with the original xorg.conf Ubuntu hade created for me, using a VGA lcd, and all the other xorg.conf you posted here, that worked for me before, only with underscan. We got no screen at all.

Then we made a progress without the ATI drivers. Full screen with underscan, but of course no ATI settings and all that shit.

Then in Ubuntu, I let it download the ATI setting and I tried to restart. Then NO screen again.

Finaly, 4 hours later, we tried aticonfig to FORCE settings, instead of just letting ubuntu download and just some default settings, and restarted.

SCREEN. The same as when I started. BUT with the underscan with the strange PosX, PosY just like when we started.

Run the script again. WORKED, no underscan!
But when I restart, I get no screen..

I then run "aticonfig --initial --force" again, and then restarted. Back to square one.

Still no difference in the xorg.conf I hade the last time with totaly black screen, and the xorg.conf I have now back at square one.

To sum up.

1. I dont know where all the setting "aticonfig" does is saved. Its not only in xorg.conf, even if aticonfin it self say it use the defauld conf.

2. It seems like I found the problem to my underscan, and I now know that the script works. Only that the screen and ubuntu and X dont want to work after a reboot.

3. All the different xorg.conf I tried before I got the script to work, that will say with 720p but in underscan, didnt solve the problem with my xbmc.

Seems like my last thing to do is to use the shitty VGA for htpc and composite for XBOX360...

EDIT
This is my xorg.conf now, made from a aticonfig --initial --force

"Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "aticonfig Layout"
Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
Option "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
Driver "fglrx"
BusID "PCI:1:5:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection
"
EDIT
Tomorrow I will try this, found in this tread
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=39717&page=3

"When you're modifying Xorg.conf, don't forget to check out /etc/ati/amdpcsdb file.
Settings specified in that file take precedence over Xorg.conf ones. Seems that nobody here knows about it. "

/Söder
hy soder

try to edit the amdpcsdb in /etc/ati

set :

Width=V1280
High=V720
Refresh=V60

like Andrewishy writes in other thread

this could be the answer
bexbier Wrote:hy soder

try to edit the amdpcsdb in /etc/ati

set :

Width=V1280
High=V720
Refresh=V60

like Andrewishy writes in other thread

this could be the answer

I have allready checked, and I allready had that settings, now when I have 720p but underscan. Square one.

I guess the reason I got no screen when finaly solved the problem for underscan with the script, was that something in "amdpcsdb" didnt like my "xorg.conf"..

What it was, I dont know...

But I will try to save my amdpcsdb from now, and tomorrow run the script again, and then compair them again...

/Söder
soder,

Did you try adding 5% to the values?

Width=V1344
High=V756
Refresh=V60

Kryspy
holy moly, guess I'm not the only one with crazy ATI troubles! There should be some sort of stickied ATI mega thread where people post known issues and solutions.

I personally had some weird overscan issues, and here's what I believe was happening:
My "monitor" is a cheapy Olevia 32" LCD.
Its native resolution is 1360x768.
It will accept inputs up to 1080i.
Connection is an HDMI port on the LCD going to DVI output on the video card
After getting the drivers installed, I had a weird down-scaled version of the desktop onscreen, taking up most of the screen but not filling it. This is with the "screen resolution" set to 1360x768, which you'd think would fill the screen completely, right?
I believe what was happening is pretty stupid: the TV says its 1080i, so the ATI drivers are like "oh, then 1360x768 isn't really the entire screen, let me scale it down a bit and then putting out a screwed up 1080i signal since thats what this screen is". This naturally looks crappy and weird. I never really figured out how to fix this, aside from using other drivers. My experiences are like Soder's, plogging away for hours, so I'm not honestly sure what works and what doesn't anymore.

One thing I DID get out of this thread: some folks are having better luck with the older drivers.

One question: anyone know why sometimes you DO end up with the nice ATI Catalyst control center app installed and then other times you don't? I think that thing is really key to getting things configured properly, but haven't figured out why I sometimes have it and sometimes don't.
Catchy Signature Here
SleepyP,

And I notice it installs as CCCLE which is probably hort for Catalyst Control Center Light Edition.

When will ATI learn that people who run LINUX didn't get a discount on their hardware and are therefore entilted to the same support as the Winbloze crowd.

Kryspy
SleepyP
"There should be some sort of stickied ATI mega thread where people post known issues and solutions."
I second this!

Kryspy
"When will ATI learn that people who run LINUX didn't get a discount on their hardware and are therefore entilted to the same support as the Winbloze crowd."
Amen.
Kryspy Wrote:soder,

Did you try adding 5% to the values?

Width=V1344
High=V756
Refresh=V60

Kryspy

No I didnt try that.

But I guess for me, I have now found the solution for my underscan, and I got the script that can correct it.

Now the problem is to understan WHAT in tha other file in /etc/ati that doesnt work with the new settings...

And I guess I can wait for xbmc rc1 to see if xbmc works on Ubuntu 8.10 on there, so now I first want to have a correkt 720p picture over dvi-hdmi to my Panaspnic Plasma..

/Söder
Söder,
It's strange that my overscan solution (aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0) doesn't work for you.
Do you have DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan parameter set to 0 in your amdpcsdb file?
Or, for the script solution, have you tried to put the script contents into your ~/.xinitrc?
I now changed from amdpcsdb to amdpcsdb.default and restarted. Still underscan, but something was edited in the file.

I then run the script, and like before, it corrected the screen.

But instead of reboot, like I did yesterday, I went to the ATI control center.

I fouled around, and I went to the scaling option. Ive tried this before, and nothing have happend then. NOW, I saw the picture jump from fully NO underscan, to jump to position X=0, Y=0 and the same size as in underscan, sizeX and sizeY to about the same as when I had the underscan in the middle of the screen (X and Y position NOT 0).

I had that picture for about 3 sec, then the screen did the same as when I normaly reboot after I have runned the script. It turns black, and the TV tries 1080p, 1080p, (flashes), some 720p, and nothing happens. Just black...

Soo.... I still believe that the scipt does something, that the normal ATI settings doesnt like..

/Söder
kowalski Wrote:Söder,
It's strange that my overscan solution (aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0) doesn't work for you.
Do you have DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan parameter set to 0 in your amdpcsdb file?
Or, for the script solution, have you tried to put the script contents into your ~/.xinitrc?

I have tried (aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0) before I figuered out how to make my script to work, so I will try that again now.
Do you think that the option will work by it self, or does it work TOGETHER with the script?

As I've said, I now now why I have underscan, and the script corrects it, only that when I then restart, I get no screen at all.

But I will try your (aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0) again now.

And BTW, putting the script in ~/.xinitrc I dont understand how that will work, cause if I run the script, and the restart, I get no screen at all. Not even an underscaned screen.

/Söder
Söder,
"Do you think that the option will work by it self, or does it work TOGETHER with the script?"
In my case it worked fine by itself without the script. I also tried that script when it was mentioned here (just of curiosity) and all I've got is just teh black screen.
But if this option doesn't work for you at all (you're sure that you have amdpcsdb with DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan parameter set to V0) then try to modify .xinitrc as I said before.

By the way: do you have any solution to "fullscreen garbage problem"?
soder Wrote:I have tried (aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0) before I figuered out how to make my script to work, so I will try that again now.
Do you think that the option will work by it self, or does it work TOGETHER with the script?

As I've said, I now now why I have underscan, and the script corrects it, only that when I then restart, I get no screen at all.

But I will try your (aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0) again now.

And BTW, putting the script in ~/.xinitrc I dont understand how that will work, cause if I run the script, and the restart, I get no screen at all. Not even an underscaned screen.

/Söder

OMG! It worked. =)

Since I figured out why I had the underscan, and made the script work, when running it direct on the htpc, I never tried your way.

Now I did after making a aticonfig --initial --force and it now works.

And now when I try aticonfig --query-dispattrib=tmds2i it says the correct values 0,0, 1280,720.

THANK YOU!!!

So for all you suffering from underscan, this is how I finaly solved the problem:

run this on your htpc, NOT via Putty and ssh:

"aticonfig --query-monitor"

then set the monitor name last in the following line:

"aticonfig --query-dispattrib=monitorname"

IF it display values that not is "posX=0, pozY=0, sizeX=1280 (or 1920), sizeY=720 (or 1080)" then thats why you also have underscan.

Then run:
"aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0"
and restart. Maybe you before that can run:

"aticonfig --initial --force"

to reset all you settings in xorg.conf AND the magic fil amdpcsdb in /etc/ati

/Söder
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem with XBMC after installed ATI driver version: 8.542 (catalyst 8.10)0