[Apple TV] Logitech Harmony Remote support with XBMC for AppleTV?
"I'm not sure if anyone tested this. Please feel free to do so and report back!"

That looks like my project for today. Smile
Well, this was my project for the day. But every time I started digging through XML, it made my brain hurt. Smile So, after a day of playing with it, I'm saying "Screw the AppleTV!" and going back to my Xbox XBMC.

Maybe I'll look into a Mac Mini, or start searching for an Eee Box type machine that has integrated IR. Damn. I really was looking forward to upgrading my XBMC to go with my new plasma.
darklordjames3 Wrote:Well, this was my project for the day. But every time I started digging through XML, it made my brain hurt. Smile
[...]

You mean the keymap.xml file? Did you check this little Howto: http://code.google.com/p/atv-xbmc-launch...versalMode ?

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules. If you don't have the time to read them, please don't take the time to post in this forum!
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Yeah, I did. Trying to merge that info with what the OG Xbox was doing though was more effort than I was willing to put into a box that is only marginally more capable than the Xbox's that I was already using. Add on trying to get my Harmony to spit out the right codes, and it became quite the headache.

That's okay. I'll just move on to looking for an alternative small PC to run XBMC Linux/Windows on. Thanks for the help anyway, Maestro!
Sorry if I do sound stupid, but how do you test this "universal mode"?
- By pressing manually the combination on the apple remote
- Or by programming those combination on a universal remote?

If the latest, then I guess you need a special remote. The way you can program combination on my universal remote is really not straight forward, you have to assign each function to different keys, then you can create "macros" and assign them to special keys...

One more question, is the "menu hold" a specific code to learn to the universal remote or it's just a "menu code that last a certain time"?

raydevos Wrote:Sorry if I do sound stupid, but how do you test this "universal mode"?
- By pressing manually the combination on the apple remote
- Or by programming those combination on a universal remote?

I test it by pressing the combinations manually.

raydevos Wrote:If the latest, then I guess you need a special remote. The way you can program combination on my universal remote is really not straight forward, you have to assign each function to different keys, then you can create "macros" and assign them to special keys...

sounds perfect for universal mode. You want to have all the keys assigned anyway (up, down, right, left, menu, menu_h, play, play_h). Now assign the macros to other keys.

raydevos Wrote:One more question, is the "menu hold" a specific code to learn to the universal remote or it's just a "menu code that last a certain time"?

IIRC, the different hold keys (right_h, left_h, play_h, menu_h) are specific IR codes.

HTH,
stephan

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules. If you don't have the time to read them, please don't take the time to post in this forum!
MaestroDD Wrote:I test it by pressing the combinations manually.
I must have two left hands, but I can't manage to make the combination manually. So I press menu for few seconds, then quickly do, e.g., down down.

The fantastic result I get is that the sound goes down ;-)
raydevos Wrote:I must have two left hands, but I can't manage to make the combination manually. So I press menu for few seconds, then quickly do, e.g., down down.

The fantastic result I get is that the sound goes down ;-)

You may want to check console.log while you are trying this. It should show what's going on. Don't forget to turn on universal mode in Launcher's settings. Do you try this in XBMC's main menu?

It looked like there was also an option in advancedsettings.xml that you could turn on, "<displayremotecodes>". If it works, then it should help you diagnose what your remote is doing.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=AdvancedSett...tecodes.3E
I'm having no luck with these either. I've added the keymap.xml file as instructed, universal mode is enabled in Launcher settings and XBMC, but I can't get any of the sequences to be recognized. I've tried many times with the Apple remote as well as my Harmony 550.

I've also never been able to get <displayremotecodes> to work. Am I missing something blatantly obvious?
Brandroid Wrote:I'm having no luck with these either. I've added the keymap.xml file as instructed, universal mode is enabled in Launcher settings and XBMC, but I can't get any of the sequences to be recognized. I've tried many times with the Apple remote as well as my Harmony 550.

I've also never been able to get <displayremotecodes> to work. Am I missing something blatantly obvious?

Did you check console.log and xbmc.log? Pastebin and I'll have a look at them...

MaestroDD Wrote:Did you check console.log and xbmc.log? Pastebin and I'll have a look at them...

Thanks for the fast reply, Maestro. Here's the XBMC log, and here's the console log. Thanks for taking a look at these.
After taking a look at the logs, I see one error:

Quote:ERROR: Keymapping error: no such action '-' defined

But according to the console log I'm firing the sequences as expected. Perhaps the problem lies with my keymap.xml? The keymap is in my userdata directory, and you can see the xml here.

Strangely, the error only appears once, although I tried multiple times to fire two different sequences (stop and pause) while playing a video fullscreen.
Brandroid Wrote:After taking a look at the logs, I see one error:

But according to the console log I'm firing the sequences as expected. Perhaps the problem lies with my keymap.xml? The keymap is in my userdata directory, and you can see the xml here.

Strangely, the error only appears once, although I tried multiple times to fire two different sequences (stop and pause) while playing a video fullscreen.
Sorry it took until today. Didn't get to my ATV yesterday.
Unfortunately it looks like UniversalMode is hard to debug with Launcher 2.3. Lots of debug info is missing in the output :/
I've uploaded a verbose version to play with. scp it to your ATV and start it with "-vu" (see --help for the options) from commandline while Frontrow is running.
Here's the log when I tried to generate some sequences with my Apple remote.
If you see the sequences there, the remote seems to be programmed properly. Next thing is to get the sent sequences recognized in XBMC. Unfortunately displayremotecodes does not seem to work and I see no remote codes in xbmc.log either. I'll ask for help here...

Maestro, I tried running xbmchelper, and my results were very similar to yours.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Apple TV] Logitech Harmony Remote support with XBMC for AppleTV?0