XBMC crashing while playing movie
To start with, I love XBMC. The software is awesome and I would enjoy contributing to it's development if help is needed or wanted.

Now on to my issue. I've searched the forums for this one and found similar issues but nothing so far like this issue I am encountering. I apologize in advance if this was already covered.

I have movies that are in MKV format, a single file with thier .IFO file in the same directory. These files play perfect on their own in any folder without Library management. Once configured for Movie content (which was tricky) the IFO files are scraped properly and the library appears happy (and looks great BTW). But...

...when I try to play a movie in the Library mode XBMC crashes. For example:

Movie: Iron Man
Filename: IRON_MAN_DOM.MKV
IFO: VIDEO_TS.IFO (going from memory, but pretty sure this is the name)
Default Location: /Volumes/NewerTech Ministack/Movies/
Content: Movie

Both files are contained in said Location.

My Hardware:

Mac Mini 2.0 Ghz
Ministack 1TB drive
Plasma 50" Panasonic... or Sony 36 inch CRT, either works great!

My Software:

Leopard 10.5.5

Now, I'm assuming I've missed something. Again, the MKV works almost PERFECTLY standalone, but when managed by the library or even in File mode when there is a thumb on the folder and XBMC tries to run the movie when clicking on the folder XBMC crashes. If I move the movie up to the root and play it directly from there is works but there is not thumb for it.

Any ideas?
Hi and welcome. Can you post the debug log, found at ~/Library/Logs/xbmc.log to pastebin.com. If you're using Beta 2, navigate into "XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/tools/xbmcpaster/" in Terminal and run "./xbmcpaster.pl" to automatically upload the log file and give you a link to it.

Also, since you expressed interest in development, I'm assuming you might able be able to provide the crash report (backtrace), which would also be helpful. Feel free to join #xbmc-osx if you wish to further discuss how you can contribute to XBMC with one of the developers.

Cheers.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

Will do, I'll grab this info tonight. (Embarrassingly, I had a feeling you would need this.)
The log file can be found at:

http://pastebin.com/m4e101cf2

I don't have the debugging installed as of yet, I'll get a stack trace as well. Hopefully the log is of some use.
Ok, try this link because it contains a fresh crash log:

http://pastebin.com/m5815a921

Also some additional information about this crash is at:

http://pastebin.com/m85a6ea0
It looks to me like the video is looking for the VIDEO_TS directory and some additional files. Are these files chained by the VIDEO_TS.IFO or are they not compatible with the MKV? This is the first time I've encoded an MKV, since the MKV is a container does XBMC expect the movie information to ve in the container?
The problem seems to be the presence of the IFO file. XBMC checks a folder for the presence of the VIDEO_TS.IFO file to determine whether or not that folder is a DVD (or a DVD mirror). So, while your media got scanned correctly (based on folder names), XBMC thinks that those folders are DVDs instead of just MKVs with an IFO file. When you play the item in the library, XBMC tries to play that folder as a DVD and when it does, it fails (although it should definitely not crash).

I think a possible fix in this case could be to exclude the IFO files from the scan. This might help.

I removed the IFO files and it worked, but now the Scanning only works on a single title. I can scan each individual title folder and XBMC scans properly only then. Is this a side effect of removing the IFO files? BTW, recursive scanning used to work with the IFO files. I've also set the scanning to scan on startup and it doesn't do that anymore either.
For scanning, try selecting the option 'Use Folder Names for Lookups' (on the parent /Movies folder).

The root issue is solved/explained and thank you for the help. The scanning is still not working. I'm having other minor issues that I want to spend some time reading up on before reporting.

The structure that I have is:

/Movies/IRON_MAN_DOM/IRON_MAN_DOM.MKV

That's it, nothing extra in the movie folder. The recursive scanning does not work and I have it turned on, at least I try to turn it on. The recursive scanning reverts to it's previous setting after clicking Select.

I am able to manually update each item in the library, this works fine. Any ideas?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC crashing while playing movie0