Which AMD processor for 1080p?
I am running an Athlon X2 4850e with 2GB Memory on Win XP Pro and all HD formats play fine - although there is the classic XBMC problem of stuttering on slow pans, but I feel this is XBMC that is at fault and not my setup as they play flawlessly in any other player...
idlerobbo Wrote:I am running an Athlon X2 4850e with 2GB Memory on Win XP Pro and all HD formats play fine - although there is the classic XBMC problem of stuttering on slow pans, but I feel this is XBMC that is at fault and not my setup as they play flawlessly in any other player...

Exact same here. Nice Cool'n quiet technology, low power consumption and heat, miniature case. Plays all HD just fine.
I have a GA-MA790GP-DS4H mobo (integrated Radeon HD3300), 4850e CPU, 4GB RAM and I am running WinXP 32bit. This setup can't play all 1080P mkv-files without problems running XBMC. It will be possible the day XBMC can decode 1080P movies with help of the GPU, and I hope that day comes soon. The 4850e is unfortunatley to slow for the job, a 6000+ should be enough though.
Duedate Wrote:I have a GA-MA790GP-DS4H mobo (integrated Radeon HD3300), 4850e CPU, 4GB RAM and I am running WinXP 32bit. This setup can't play all 1080P mkv-files without problems running XBMC. It will be possible the day XBMC can decode 1080P movies with help of the GPU, and I hope that day comes soon. The 4850e is unfortunatley to slow for the job, a 6000+ should be enough though.

A 6000 draws too much power and runs too hot to make it feasible in a set top environment.
Since the whole dual core vs quad core issue was brought up; is it in the plans to add quad core support anytime in the near future? When I say near future I mean by the end of 2009. I would like to build a dedicated HTPC within the next 3 months or so. If there is no real plan to add quad core support, I'll just go for a faster dual core.
i second the info request on >2 core processors. I am looking at getting the acer aspire x1200 SFF machine, which is perfect for playing HD content, but its dual core 4850e. I could easily stick another processor in there thats faster, but i may wait if 3/4 core is going to be implemented anytime soon.
Duedate Wrote:I have a GA-MA790GP-DS4H mobo (integrated Radeon HD3300), 4850e CPU, 4GB RAM and I am running WinXP 32bit. This setup can't play all 1080P mkv-files without problems running XBMC. It will be possible the day XBMC can decode 1080P movies with help of the GPU, and I hope that day comes soon. The 4850e is unfortunatley to slow for the job, a 6000+ should be enough though.

I am running on a 4450e and have yet to see the first 1080p-movie that doesn't run fluidly. All hd-dvd/blu-ray-rips in mkv-format I have found on usenet so far run without a hitch.
x5nder Wrote:I am running on a 4450e and have yet to see the first 1080p-movie that doesn't run fluidly. All hd-dvd/blu-ray-rips in mkv-format I have found on usenet so far run without a hitch.

What bitrate are your 1080p mkv's running at? I am looking at a acer aspire x1200 SFF box to use for my media center, and it comes with a 4850e (2.5ghz i believe) it wil play bluray discs with about 70% cpu usage...thats fine, but im wondering since XBMC is not GPU accelerated yet, would i have issues?

Can you check the bitrate on your videos, as well as let us know what cpu usage you see when using xbmc on your 4450e?

Thanks!
obohn Wrote:Hi!
I am building a new HTPC.
I will be using the new Geforce 8200 mainboard: http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8200mgpu.html

Which AMD cpu will give me the best performance?
Does XBMC support more than dualcore (quad, tri)?
Clockspeeds for smooth 1080p playback?

AMD *officially* recommends a 4400. My experience (I still argue) is that a 4050e also does on the right motherboard.
I think this is the right place to ask a question, so here it comes. =)

I got an AMD 4850 and running on Ubuntu 8.10 with the ATI 8.552 driver.

Shall I install something from this page?

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Tech...06,00.html

drivers for the motherboard or cpu or something?

Thanks.

/Söder
x5nder Wrote:For a energy efficient HTPC you definitely don't need to go as high as a 6000+. I currently use an Athlon 4450E-processor and that works smoothly with whatever I throw at it (1080p mkv/wmv and even M2TS-streams, XBMC running on top of Vista w/2 GB of memory). Even if I downclock it to the level of a 4050E it works fine. If you do want to be on the safe side, the 4850E has a little bit more horsepower but the same thermal envelope & energy usage.

I have 4850E [email protected] and still can't see high bitrate hd videos like M2TS files of 4.5gb (original Blueray rip) VC1... also with coreavc and bsplayer..
the 4850 is too weak.
regular 1080p files (8-30gb) works great

I should have bought an intel 7200 cpu..
anyway, my only option is to wait for the new Phenom II proc.

AMD SUCKS.
soder Wrote:I think this is the right place to ask a question, so here it comes. =)

I got an AMD 4850 and running on Ubuntu 8.10 with the ATI 8.552 driver.

Shall I install something from this page?

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Tech...06,00.html

drivers for the motherboard or cpu or something?

Thanks.

/Söder

install AMD Dual-Core Optimizer Version 1.1.4
it improves video playback
staticx Wrote:install AMD Dual-Core Optimizer Version 1.1.4
it improves video playback

But I see now that all downloads from that site isnt for Linux. Have you tried it for Ubuntu?

EDIT: wrong place =(
XBMC for Windows

/Söder
Evanrich Wrote:i second the info request on >2 core processors. I am looking at getting the acer aspire x1200 SFF machine, which is perfect for playing HD content, but its dual core 4850e. I could easily stick another processor in there thats faster, but i may wait if 3/4 core is going to be implemented anytime soon.

It's coming:

Gamester17 Wrote:FYI; XBMC's video-player currently only uses one CPU core in XBMC for Windows due to some issue with the cabac patch (while the same XBMC video-player supports two CPU cores in XBMC for Linux and Mac, the developers are working on fixing that issue). Know also that FFmpeg are currently working on developing better multi-core support as part of a Google Summer of Code project: http://code.google.com/soc/2008/ffmpeg/a...705A5D5DBB
Wouldn't a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.1GHz (Dual-Core) be enough to run 1080p smoothly?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which AMD processor for 1080p?0