Which AMD processor for 1080p?
I'll let you know soon. I bought one to upgrade a BE2400 which stutters at the bird scene in planet earth aka "killa sample."
Well it's actually a secondary build. The BE2400 is going to the bedroom and the 6000+ will be in the living room.
Note that the BE2400 plays pretty much everything else I have in 1080p just fine.

stacked Wrote:Wouldn't a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.1GHz (Dual-Core) be enough to run 1080p smoothly?
supernoman Wrote:I'll let you know soon. I bought one to upgrade a BE2400 which stutters at the bird scene in planet earth aka "killa sample."
Well it's actually a secondary build. The BE2400 is going to the bedroom and the 6000+ will be in the living room.
Note that the BE2400 plays pretty much everything else I have in 1080p just fine.

I'll be waiting...
stacked Wrote:Wouldn't a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.1GHz (Dual-Core) be enough to run 1080p smoothly?

Yes plenty, i use an older X2 6000+ at 3.0ghz.
Hmmm...Still stutters in "killa sample" but much less than the BE2400. I guess it doesn't like AMD processors. If I get annoyed with this enough, I'll switch to Intel. I know my old E4500 didn't have problems so I'll use a E7200 I have.

stacked Wrote:I'll be waiting...
I found this Benchmark Review of the upcoming AMD Kuma CPU very interesting. It seems to hold it's own, but does really well in the wPrime test (which I read as a pure CPU grunt type benchmark).

As XBMC is a CPU intensive application this may be an option for people not wanting to go down the Intel route...
stuttering can have NOTHING to do with CPU load... Your CPU can run at 50% load and you can still notice stuttering. I can be caused by refreshrate, jitter, etc...

DP
The AMD 6000+ I put in is pegged at 90+% on both cores when running the killa sample. Unless I'm missing something else, I think it's the CPU. Has someone else gotten the killa sample to play smoothly on AMD?
My resolution is 1080P 60Hz.

My symptom with that sample video is that it will start, the pause a little, then "fast forward" a little to catch up, and then repeat. It's not unwatchable but I'm guessing there are dropped frames.

dpassent Wrote:stuttering can have NOTHING to do with CPU load... Your CPU can run at 50% load and you can still notice stuttering. I can be caused by refreshrate, jitter, etc...

DP
I don't know if it is your CPU but even if you get twice more powerful CPU - you will see judder. Killer Sample AKA Bird Clip is 23.98fps. Without changing refreshrate it won't ever play smoothly on 60Hz. Change your refresh rate to 24Hz (or 48) and try again...

DP
BTW, I don't see this stutter problem in WMP and CPU usage is of course, lower.
I'll try to see if adjusting the refresh rate helps in XBMC.

dpassent Wrote:I don't know if it is your CPU but even if you get twice more powerful CPU - you will see judder. Killer Sample AKA Bird Clip is 23.98fps. Without changing refreshrate it won't ever play smoothly on 60Hz. Change your refresh rate to 24Hz (or 48) and try again...

DP
supernoman Wrote:BTW, I don't see this stutter problem in WMP and CPU usage is of course, lower.
I'll try to see if adjusting the refresh rate helps in XBMC.

How low is your CPU when you play the killa sample with players other than XBMC? (try MPC)

I've been reading from other forums and I think this cpu is powerful enough to play 1080p smoothly with the right player, codecs, and settings. Some people said that you need a really fast cpu to play 1080p in XBMC since XBMC doesn't support hardware acceleration.
That's true. The XBMC does not currently use hardware acceleration that's why I tried upping the CPU from BE2400 (2.3 GHz) to the AMD 6000+ (3.1GHz).

I don't have any issues with 1080P in WMP for either processor. I usually install Cole2K codec pack and I'm good to go for windows playback.

stacked Wrote:How low is your CPU when you play the killa sample with players other than XBMC? (try MPC)

I've been reading from other forums and I think this cpu is powerful enough to play 1080p smoothly with the right player, codecs, and settings. Some people said that you need a really fast cpu to play 1080p in XBMC since XBMC doesn't support hardware acceleration.
supernoman Wrote:The AMD 6000+ I put in is pegged at 90+% on both cores when running the killa sample. Unless I'm missing something else, I think it's the CPU. Has someone else gotten the killa sample to play smoothly on AMD?
My resolution is 1080P 60Hz.

My symptom with that sample video is that it will start, the pause a little, then "fast forward" a little to catch up, and then repeat. It's not unwatchable but I'm guessing there are dropped frames.

If you can "almost" run the killa sample then you can play any properly encoded file without any problems. So AMD 6000+ is more than enough for 1080p unless you throw something broken like the killa sample at it.
I know. I can pretty much play any 1080P material on the 6000+. With the BE2400, Appleseed 1080P did have some areas where it appeared to skip frames but one could easily miss it.
I still might go with my Intel C2D 7200 once I can find the board I want at a reasonable price or try a phemon. Any one have a phenom that plays the killa sample in XMBC without stutter? I would be interested in the lowest speed/cost phenom.

eriksmith200 Wrote:If you can "almost" run the killa sample then you can play any properly encoded file without any problems. So AMD 6000+ is more than enough for 1080p unless you throw something broken like the killa sample at it.
Hello.

Ill have the 4850e and had also 1080p problems SadSad

Please read my thread here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=42233

My Mainboard just supports 6000+, is this enougth?

If not, then ill must buy a new intel mainboard and an C2D SadSad

Thanks for your info
pOpY

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which AMD processor for 1080p?0