Video resolution switching on AppleTV
I have a 720p TV and so I would like to run the GUI at that resolution, but I would like XBMC to switch resolution to that of the video when I play it back.
Most of my videos are SD, so 720x576. My TV has very good upscaling, so I would very much prefer that over XBMC doing the upscaling (and deinterlacing).
I am new to XBMC, but it seems like this should be possible. I already have the GUI running at the "fullscreen" setting and the video resolution is set at "best possible" or something like that. But it doesn't switch the resolution. It is still sending 720p to the TV, but software upscaling the 720x576 video.
If I set the video resolution at Pal, it plays back the video in a smaller window. So again the resolution sent to the TV is still 720p, but now the video is not scaled.
All this is Beta 2.

My question is (after all this background info...): Am I doing something wrong? Or is this a bug in the software? Or is it a know limitation of the AppleTV implementation? Or is it simply not possible in XBMC?

Thanks,
Jacob Lauritzen
It works like that on Xbox hardware (or at least can be set to do that) - I don't know if it is possible on the ATV though.
dynamic resolution switching is an known issue. Not sure if it will be resolved for 8.10 release.
The Apple TV port doesn't support custom resolutions for video playback (yet). For now, it's best to leave those resolutions at the default setting. These settings will be gone in the next release.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

OK. Thanks for the responses. I can live with the software upscaling for now, but I look forward to dynamic resolution switching on the AppleTV.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video resolution switching on AppleTV0