Black screen in Vino
Sometimes I use vnc to control my htpc and I like to use the built-in vino server in Ubuntu for that because it's very simple to use.

This worked fine when I started to use XBMC, but a while ago something changed and now XBMC just shows up as a black screen in vnc. Everything else works fine (desktop and things like that), just not XBMC. I can still control XBMC this way, but it would be nice to see the interface..

Does anyone know what causes this and how to fix it? Anyone else have the same problem?
Can report the same problem! I used to be able to navigate the XBMC menus with a slow refresh and it was fine, then one day I'd get the initial screen (maybe) and then black after. I can still navigate if I'm watching the output display and not my laptop however. Been awhile since this worked with VNC, at least 6 months I'd say, but yeah I miss it <shrug>
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
same here, works with all other progs (including mythtv full screen) but not xbmc

Zeltak
Was it a change in XBMC or a change in Vino that caused this? It seems to work with other vnc-servers (I only tested with tightvnc)..

Any theories?
I've used RealVNC and it sems to work fine. A bit slow sending full screen video over a wireless coneciton, otherwise fine.
Quote:I've used RealVNC and it sems to work fine.

Can you connect to the running X session with realVNC? I can't sem to get that working..
And how about password, is there a way to turn off password or make it so I don't have to type it every time I connect?
Never mind my last post, I found the anser to both questions here.

That works fine for the desktop, but when I start XBMC the whole X server crashes and restarts! :-( That's no good!
Actually it crashes when I click on anything.

It's a known bug. So thats definately no good. :-(
The black screen in VNC (with vino) seems to be caused by the nvidia driver. When I uninstalled it and used the nv driver I get the XBMC UI in VNC, but then the interface is horribly slow all the time so that's useless too.

Oh well, I'm giving up for now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Black screen in Vino0