customStrings.xml
a custom strings.xml file that can be used by the user to add text that might fex be in a script like the kmlbrowser or a custom button for a skin (webradio, online games, kai client).
it would have to be up to the user or/and script/skin author to not create conflicts.
benefit would be that xbmc cvs can be updated with the standard strings and user would not have to worry about copying custom strings to the 'new' strings.xml.
xbmc could use similar priority logic as used for texures.xpr and imagesbetween 'customstrings.xml' and 'strings.xml'.
did i make any sense with that?
:bump: bumptedibump
aqtbrowser
or maybe my suggestion unclear? tho it strikes me that scripts can actually download strings (right?)... but still.

as an addition: a way to avoid conflicts this customstrings.xml could be forced to always use stings above say 100000 or something else failsafe.
what about if we make it only available to python scripts?
will have to write a new function in python to open the custon xml file(each python script could provide his own strings.xml file then).
this means you don't have to worry about conflicts

hope i made myself a bit clear Smile
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(darkie @ sep. 08 2004,21:08 Wrote:what about if we make it only available to python scripts?
will have to write a new function in python to open the custon xml file(each python script could provide his own strings.xml file then).
this means you don't have to worry about conflicts

hope i made myself a bit clear Smile
that could be a nice feature.
  • ASRock ION 330 OpenELEC XBMC Frodo.
  • 47" LG HDTV1080p, AC3/DTS Receiver.
  • 96" Epson LCD 1080p projector
  • 2x Raspbery Pi with XBMC
it would be a perfect start i think. could this feature maybe be used to include a function in the script that actually gives a label to the button that the script is bound to? regardless of the global strings.xml? do you understand what i mean?

my main issue in this case has been custom buttons that i bind to scripts in various places. like fex a aqtbrowser button in my movies which right now has the label 'movies'. a kmlbrowser button in my music and  soon i will have a gamespot button in myprograms  :p

and when i update xbmc my strings.xml gets overwritten hence i loose my custom strings... and even if i saved my strings.xml i'd risk missing out on new additions to it or getting conflicts in it.

i must admit that now i realise that i'm just beginning to understand the advantages of python support in xbmc. thank you darkie!
couldn't you just use <label>gamespot</label> for the new button in the skin instead of adding a custom string?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
customStrings.xml0