Build Options / Performance / Cost - Comments Offered, Comments Welcomed.
Thought I would hit up the Linux builders for some input. I've got a couple of Apple build and am looking to try some of the others.

It seems like Linux might be the preferred build by my reckoning and personal preference.

AppleTV - Limitations with HD material. But excellent price point and size.
Mac - Great with HD material, depending on actual material and machine. Price point is kind of high for performance.
Windows - Great with HD like Mac but with same considerations. Price point is much nicer.

Linux - Again great with HD but with same considerations as Mac & Windows. Price point slightly lower then Windows. Less system overhead. Less issues with s/w updates and virus concerns?

So it seems like Linux would give you the best bang for buck for HD level material.

Not sure if any of the build are more stable then the others. Might be more a function of actual hardware. If that's the case Apple TV and Mac might have the edge since there are likely less combinations of hardware to code for.

That said it would seem one could build a killer Linux machine starting at $500 or so.

IE

Barebones $100
2GB RAM $25
40GB HD $25
3.0GHz CPU $200
Graphics $25
Misc Parts $25

That alone is only $400. Sure there's a few items missing. Remote senor, remote, keyboard, etc. But that still keeps you at $500. Doesn't seem like you would need much.

By contrast a (slower) 2.33GHz Mac Mini (modded) would run about $1000+

Thoughts?
Your question is in the Linux sub-section. So, of course we all agree Linux is the best and PC is cheaper than Mac at same speeds. Afterall lately all that Apple is doing is selling same PC but with BSD-like OS and cool looking peripherals.

So go for the Linux PC if you look for a cheaper XBMC machine that can handle up to 1080p.
This seems like a good thread to ask - I'm looking to build a 1080p-capable HTPC for xbmc use. Anyone have any advice? Would I be saving myself a world of headaches by just getting the Mac Mini (ignoring the price difference) or is it possible and quasi-simple to build a better linux one for the same price or less?
Gentlemen,

My best advice is to go to this read and ask all your questions there. I wish I would have done this before starting my own thread. I learned a lot reading this thread.Must Read. I wish you well, and good luck.
Heh, see what I mean about this being asked all the time? Wink
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Yes, BLKMGK. I see it too Wink
BLKMGK Wrote:Heh, see what I mean about this being asked all the time? Wink

Well I figured I would 'learn the young man, as you 'learned this 'ole Marine. I figured it would be nicer coming from me than it would be from you savvy vets!

But seriously, is there any reason why that thread shouldn't be a sticky?

-Semper Fi
gyrene2083
I ended up dropping about $900 all told on my HTPC project, and in the end I have a sick machine.
-$260 Shuttle Barebones SG33G5B
-$200 Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33 GHz 45nm CPU (running @ 2.8GHz using the Shuttle ICE cooler)
-$50 2x2GB DDR2 800 RAM
-$34 Asus EAH3450 fanless Radeon HD 3450 graphics card
-$20 off brand MCE compatible USB remote + dongle
-$130 1TB Seagate SATA II harddrive
-$25 Lite-On DVD burner
-$30 Silverstone front panel card reader / eSATA / USB / FireWire / Power thing
-$30 for a pair of SilenX fans for the PSU (stock were too loud)
-$160 Logitech DiNovo Edge wireless keyboard

That's absolutely everything except the screen and sound system I've got it hooked to.
This system is basically "done", as it can do everything I care about doing, especially playing back "HD" x264 / h264 1080P content while running really quiet. About the only thing to MAYBE upgrade down the road is adding a BluRay / HD DVD drive once they're cheap, or the video card if I wanna start playing computer games again.
Also the Dinovo is rediculously expensive for what it is, and the 1TB drive is extreme overkill for an "HTPC", I just went a little crazy on my last NewEgg order Tongue

For the budget concious, I would do like I did and go cheap on the video card but definitely get one. Its sooooo worth the $30ish dollars. I was trying to use the Intel GMA 3100 but Intel makes it a royal pain in the ass to get drivers and stuff in Linux. ATI has really caught up with nVidia in terms of Linux support, and for my needs they're better (lower-power chips = runs cooler so I can get a fanless card without worrying).
Catchy Signature Here
gyrene2083 Wrote:Well I figured I would 'learn the young man, as you 'learned this 'ole Marine. I figured it would be nicer coming from me than it would be from you savvy vets!

But seriously, is there any reason why that thread shouldn't be a sticky?

-Semper Fi
gyrene2083

No, no good reason other than as time has gone on the hardware reqs for XBMC have actually gone DOWN some and some of the advice might be a bit dated. If I could sticky it I would <shrug>

sleepyp, I think I'd have gone with a cheap NVIDIA card and a C2D instead fo a quad but overall a pretty good build. Are you having any issues fitting a video card in the XPC? I believe that is a system gyrene was also interested in but the slots being close to the side concerns me - I've seen people cut big holes in XPC to allow their video cards to breathe. <sigh> I would also advise leaving off the HD-DVD and BD drives unless you just intend to rip content. Linux doesn't support either format terribly well honestly, at least not yet. Windows on the other hand can rip\compress that video with ease for playback by XBMC, I can tell you how if you care as I do it often. The quad WILL work great for transcoding video for sure!

Can you share the source of your MCE compatible receiver and remote please? That's a good price since zippzoomfly seems to have run out of "real" MCE hardware Sad
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Build Options / Performance / Cost - Comments Offered, Comments Welcomed.0