Help! How do I get my movies to show up?
Hi,

I have installed XBMC on my Apple TV - but I have no idea how to use it. I have tried looking at the online manual but that thing is just as confusing as hell! None of it makes any sense to me!

All I want to do is watch some movies.

I have an iMac and it has some movies in the following directory: Macintosh HD/Users/byron/Movies. How do I link to this directory on my iMac so that my movies show up in XBMC under Videos.

Thanks in advance.
too bad if it does not make sense.
we don't spoon feed around here, at least not on my watch.
Thanks for that - most illuminating!

I have looked at 'Macintosh (Apple Mac OS X) Sharing Alternatives' in the OLM but I don't know what SMB, UPnP, XBMS or iTunes (DAPP) are; which to use; or how to set them up.

That's why i posted the question if the first place - because I am feeling totally overwhelmed.

I am a grumpy bastard photographer not a grumpy bastard developer!
see, now you're actually asking a question, not just whining.

we do not support osx shares, there may be some support on the ATV system level, but there i cannot help you. you need to use windows shares from osx to set them up directly in xbmc. this is what is known as SMB shares.
spiff Wrote:see, now you're actually asking a question, not just whining.

we do not support osx shares, there may be some support on the ATV system level, but there i cannot help you. you need to use windows shares from osx to set them up directly in xbmc. this is what is known as SMB shares.

Ok - so let me get this straight, as i am completely new to this. You can install XBMC on your Apple TV (as I have done) but you cant access any of the media that is on your Mac (as it is not possible to stream media from a Mac to the Apple TV and have it played by XBMC). So i might be missing the point here - but what is the point in installing XBMC on my Apple TVHuh

More confused than ever!
that's because you read what you want to read, not what i type apparently.

as i said, there is NO SUPPORT in XBMC ITSELF for streaming from apple shares. IF the appleTV (a device i have NEVER touched) supports some SYSTEM WIDE way to tap into apple shares, there is no reason why xbmc would not support this.

there is however support in XBMC ITSELF for smb shares / windows shares. these can be shared from your mac (don't ask me how) no problem.
its not because 'i read what i want to read' but because what i read is like chinese to me. i can only make out a little of this and the semantics of your last post are completely lost on me - i really don't understand what you are talking about.

i appreciate that you are trying to help - but we are not on the same page - i am lost. i thought that i was doing the right thing by posting in the 'XBMC for Mac and Apple TV- Help and Support' cause I sure as hell need help and support with my Mac, Apple TV and XBMC. i am a simple end-user, plain and simple.

i just want to know if it is possible for me to go into XBMC on my Apple TV and configure it to see the media on my iMac. and if so how to do it.
rite. well i already told you it is possible, but i won't (and more importantly, as i just cannot stand apple stuff, can't) hold your hand further. somebody else might though so dont give up hope Wink
Sansan,

try this guide as a starting point.
After you've setup your samba shares on your Mac, start adding media sources.

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules. If you don't have the time to read them, please don't take the time to post in this forum!
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help! How do I get my movies to show up?0