Ubuntu 8.10 +780G ATI HD3200 screen messed up
Hi everyone...

I'm a total n00b when it comes to linux.

I installed ubuntu version 8.10 and after struggling to get my underscan problems fixed (output = plasma tv, using HDMI) I now have another problem.

I use the restricted driver manager to get drivers for my ATI card.

Everything works fine, even compiz.

But when I launch boxee (not tried XBMC yet, but I expect the same results)

My screen goes crazy... I attached a screenshot

ImageImage

Does anyone know what to do?
Disable compiz, and try again. Also try messing around with vsync; if it's on turn it off and vice versa.
where can I enable the vsync settings in ubuntu?
mavgink Wrote:Hi everyone...

I'm a total n00b when it comes to linux.

I installed ubuntu version 8.10 and after struggling to get my underscan problems fixed (output = plasma tv, using HDMI) I now have another problem.

I use the restricted driver manager to get drivers for my ATI card.

Everything works fine, even compiz.

But when I launch boxee (not tried XBMC yet, but I expect the same results)

My screen goes crazy... I attached a screenshot

ImageImage

Does anyone know what to do?

So you had underscan to? How did you fixed it?

Thats my problem to. When I use dvi-hdmi I get underscan. Now I use VGA. =(

And when I tried Catalyst 8.10 last week, I got the same screen on xbmc as you. Changed back to 8.9.

Now Im upgrading to Ubuntu 8.10, and therefor Catalyst 8.10. If it will not work, I will install the Catalyst 8.9 again.

/Söder
Catalyst 8.9 don't work at all with Xorg 7.4 and thats what it is in Ubuntu 8.10
gbyte Wrote:Catalyst 8.9 don't work at all with Xorg 7.4 and thats what it is in Ubuntu 8.10

So now with Ubuntu 8.10 installed, I will have to wait until xbmc works with the driver from Catalyst 8.10?

To bad then... =(
Ubuntu 8.10 uses a beta version of Catalyst 8.11 and that works with xorg 7.4. I had the same problem you have there, although only when switching between windowed mode and fullscreen with the \ button. If I start it fullscreen it works for me (try switching the mods when you see that screen). Same mainboard and ati chip. I think the problem might stem from the beta version of Catalyst 8.11 ubuntu is using atm, but I am not sure.

The underscan issue is fixable too - I just for the heck of it can't find the script I used to change the settings with the ati config tool. Try searching phoronix for underscan and ati, I know I found it there.

Edit: - changed overscan to underscan -
Edit2: - found the script -

#!/bin/sh
aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionX:0
aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionY:0
aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,sizeX:1920
aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,sizeY:1080
hotzenpl0tz Wrote:Ubuntu 8.10 uses a beta version of Catalyst 8.11 and that works with xorg 7.4. I had the same problem you have there, although only when switching between windowed mode and fullscreen with the \ button. If I start it fullscreen it works for me (try switching the mods when you see that screen). Same mainboard and ati chip. I think the problem might stem from the beta version of Catalyst 8.11 ubuntu is using atm, but I am not sure.

The underscan issue is fixable too - I just for the heck of it can't find the script I used to change the settings with the ati config tool. Try searching phoronix for underscan and ati, I know I found it there.

Edit: - changed overscan to underscan -
Edit2: - found the script -

#!/bin/sh
aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionX:0
aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionY:0
aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,sizeX:1920
aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,sizeY:1080

But I had problems with the Catalyst 8.10 also, now with Ubuntu 8.10 and the Beta Catalyst 8.11 I dont know since my upgrade is not finished. I always start xbmc in fullscreen.

This scrips, will that work for even in 720p? Thats the res. I use. I had underscan for all resulutions, but it looked like the resulution never changed when I changed it in the control center. The screen flashed, but nothing got smaller if you understand what I meen.

/Söder
Do you guys still have the 100% cpu issue with hd3200?
XBMC Live 9.11
Intel core duo 2,E7400 2.80GHz
P5N7A-VM
1 GB DDR2 667MHz
Musta78 Wrote:Do you guys still have the 100% cpu issue with hd3200?

Yes. Its very bad. Makes me have to close down xbmc everytime I've used it. =(

/Söder
Damn...... Got the cpu down with other ati cards, but not with the one I'm using obv....
XBMC Live 9.11
Intel core duo 2,E7400 2.80GHz
P5N7A-VM
1 GB DDR2 667MHz
Pretty sure the script also works with 720p - if you change the resolution accordingly.
About the 100% issue: no idea, I changed primary PCs recently and haven't gotten around setting up the old one in my living room for htpc purposes yet. The tearing issues with the ATI card drove me crazy and led me to install XP on a second partition for the time being (hopefully this all will be solved end of this year with the xorg advancements and ati driver advancements). Maybe I'll get the chance to play around this weekend.
hotzenpl0tz Wrote:Pretty sure the script also works with 720p - if you change the resolution accordingly.
About the 100% issue: no idea, I changed primary PCs recently and haven't gotten around setting up the old one in my living room for htpc purposes yet. The tearing issues with the ATI card drove me crazy and led me to install XP on a second partition for the time being (hopefully this all will be solved end of this year with the xorg advancements and ati driver advancements). Maybe I'll get the chance to play around this weekend.

I read a lot of problem with tearings when searching for solution with my 100 %. But I also read that you could moce the slide in ATI control center for performace I think, and after I did that I never saw any tearings.... ?

/Söder
soder Wrote:I read a lot of problem with tearings when searching for solution with my 100 %. But I also read that you could moce the slide in ATI control center for performace I think, and after I did that I never saw any tearings.... ?

/Söder

I person in this tread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=2...post239330 also helped me with my underscan. Havnt tryied it though..

/Söder
soder Wrote:So you had underscan to? How did you fixed it?
And when I tried Catalyst 8.10 last week, I got the same screen on xbmc as you. Changed back to 8.9.
Got the same thing (Fedora9, Xorg downgraded to F8, Catalyst 8.10, HDMI->720p LCD TV). Resolved it by starting xbmc windowed and switching xbmc's resolution from "Auto" to "720p 16:9".

EDIT: Sorry, resolution switch mentioned before doesn't really works. The only way to workaround this issue I've found for now is to modify Xorg.conf:
Code:
Section "Device"
Option "DesktopSetup" "vertical"
EndSection

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu 8.10 +780G ATI HD3200 screen messed up1