Plug & Play hardware for XBMC Live 1080p and Digital Audio
Apologies if this is a dupe question. I browsed through the threads and see a lot of "what hardware for xx resolution playback" but I haven't seen any threads for "out of the box" xbmc live support.

What I'm looking for, if it exists, is confirmed hardware that works with XBMC Live for 1080P playback, digital audio, LAN support, HDMI/DVI out, and IR remote.

Basically I want to build a new computer for the sole purpose of being an XBMC machine running live off a thumb drive. I would like all the hardware to support xbmc live out of the box. Does anyone know what hardware will support this?

From what I've read so far it appears that almost all modern motherboards and CPU's are supported, I plan on going with a core 2 duo or quad at 3ghz+. 2GB RAM, 4GB thumb OS (with all media on a smb share server). The items I'm not sure about are video card, sound card, LAN card (have a gig-e copper backbone), and remote control.

Thanks in advance,
-Ed
eamiryar Wrote:The items I'm not sure about are video card, sound card, LAN card (have a gig-e copper backbone), and remote control.
Video Card: 8500GT fanless
Sound Card: use motherboard sound
LAN Card: use motherboard
Remote: MCE Remote

The system in my sig worked perfect with Live Beta 2 out of the box.
Geekzilla Wrote:Video Card: 8500GT fanless
Sound Card: use motherboard sound
LAN Card: use motherboard
Remote: MCE Remote

The system in my sig worked perfect with Live Beta 2 out of the box.

Sweet thanks. What mobo are you using? Does it have digital audio out and are you utilizing it for dd 5.1? Thanks again,
-Ed
I am using a discontinued motherboard that I had laying around the office collecting dust. Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 v3.3 which has a coax digital out that works with both DTS and DD 5.1.
Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H (nVidia 630i/Geforce7100)
Core2Duo E7200 o/c to 3.16GHz (333x9.5)
2GB DDR2-800 RAM (2x1GB)
4GB USB flash drive
some old dvdrom
Microsoft MCE USB IR remote (model 1040)

works perfect, right out of the box for 1080p + digital audio + gigE

edit: cost was about $350 shipped from Newegg, including case
Matt Devo Wrote:Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H (nVidia 630i/Geforce7100)
2GB DDR2-800 RAM (2x1GB)
4GB USB flash drive
some old dvdrom

It would be very helpful if people would post their cost along with the system specs...

xnappo
xnappo Wrote:It would be very helpful if people would post their cost along with the system specs...

xnappo

Why prices vary from place to place and also drop faster than a rock. If you want prices cut and paste the model#'s into google or newegg.com
Matt Devo Wrote:Core2Duo E7200 o/c to 3.16GHz (333x9.5)

Overclocked = not out of the box, imo Huh
NotShorty Wrote:Overclocked = not out of the box, imo Huh

well it plays 1080p video fine out of the box, just a few dropped frames on the killa sampla.
Matt Devo Wrote:well it plays 1080p video fine out of the box, just a few dropped frames on the killa sampla.

What case did u use?

xnappo
xnappo Wrote:What case did u use?

this one. Looks much better in person, as the front has a low gloss finish rather than the flat finish which appears in the pics.
2GB DDR2-800 RAM (2x1GB)
4GB USB flash drive
some old dvdrom

Have I got this straight?

All components including case, CPU, MOBO, Memory, Flash Drive, MCE remote for $350!!

I thought the prefect 1080p rig would be much more expensive going on other posts here I seem to remember.

Is it a case of a very small form factor, silent, attractive perfect 1080p rig being more expensive but if one is prepared to settle for a larger form factor, as much noise as an old xbox and a less attractive case, that one can do this for $350??

I must have missed that detail.

Heres me rationalising that I would settle for an H264 480p capable box because 6 or 7 720p or 1080p mac mini's or Shuttles at $700-$800 each would break the bank. 6 or 7 of your spec machines at $350 is much more palatable!! Nod

So if your spec is not much larger than an original xbox and not much louder, then I am sold!!

Gives me great hope that when I start our house renovation and rewire project and am ready to purchase the hardware in about 6 months, that I can easily do this without breaking the bank. Who knows, the devs may even have been able to implement hardware acceleration by then and I can get away with even cheaper components.
2GB DDR2-800 RAM (2x1GB)
4GB USB flash drive
some old dvdrom

EXACTLY what I was looking for. THANKS!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Plug & Play hardware for XBMC Live 1080p and Digital Audio1