Problems with the keymap.xml and Apple Remote
Question 
Hi together,

first of all hello to the community and a big thanks for making XBMC for Mac possible. Have used XBMC for a long time on Xbox and i am glad to see it for my macbook now. Smile

Nevertheless i have a few problems to change the mapping of my apple remote to my wishes, to be honest, it looks like the editing of keymap.xml has no effect at all.

e.g.: FullScreenVideoMode
<joystick name="AppleRemote">
<button id="1">VolumeUp</button>
<button id="2">VolumeDown</button>
<button id="3">StepBack</button>
<button id="4">StepForward</button>
<button id="5">OSD</button>
<button id="6">Fullscreen</button>
</joystick>

it would expect me to turn up Volume with "up" instead of that, pressing remote up will lead to Stepforward, pressing down to Stepback changes have no effects.

Keymap is located under /userdata/

perhaps it is a stupid question with simple solution, but i spent already 2 days searching and trying, so any help would be much appreciated.

thank you!
A couple of things:

1. Make sure you are modifying keymap.xml in the correct location. This is ~/Library/XBMC/userdata/keymap.xml.

2. If it's volume up and volume down, it won't have any effect during passthrough of encoded (ac3/dts) audio, but it should popup the volume slider.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Hi,

i am editing in ~/User/myname/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata/keymap.xml

unfortunately pressing up button does not bring up the volume slifer, just steps forward.

i also tried to change e.g. in myvideofiles the button id 1 to "Down" just to see any effect, but didnt work out.

as i did not had a keymap.xml, i downloaded from svn

thanks
It should be Keymap.xml (case sensitive).

The log file (in ~/Library/Logs/) should indicate if it is being loaded.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

I had a similar problem and I ended up editing the keymap.xml in this directory: /Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/system

See this thread here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...keymap.xml

Not sure why it wasn't working in userdata. I looked at the debug log and it stated it was loading too...
Do NOT edit it there - it will be overwritten anytime you upgrade. We have 2 locations for a reason: The second overwrites (portions of) the first.

If you can get a reproducible case where you make a change to the one in your userdata folder and it does not get read, then please create a ticket on trac with succinct guidelines for reproducing.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Note: You need only alter the bits you actually want to alter in the userdata keymap.xml - it does not need to be a complete copy of the whole thing.

jmarshall Wrote:Do NOT edit it there - it will be overwritten anytime you upgrade. We have 2 locations for a reason: The second overwrites (portions of) the first.

If you can get a reproducible case where you make a change to the one in your userdata folder and it does not get read, then please create a ticket on trac with succinct guidelines for reproducing.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Note: You need only alter the bits you actually want to alter in the userdata keymap.xml - it does not need to be a complete copy of the whole thing.

Sorry to mislead. I put this hack in a little while ago because I couldn't get the userdata file to work correctly. I just updated the launcher and moved my modified keymap.xml into userdata and it works. The one thing I suggest is to make sure you are using the most current keymap.xml to modify (I think I was originally using the wrong remote codes for the apple remote).
so thanks for all the replies, i took a look into the xbmc.log:

ERROR: /Users/aster/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata/Keymap.xml Doesn't contain <keymap>

may be the problem.. my problem now is, that the .xml file starts with <keymap> and ends with </keymap> so i do not see an error here...

btw heres my Keymap.xml
<keymap>
<FullscreenVideo>
<button id="1">VolumeUp</button>
<button id="2">VolumeDown</button>
<button id="3">StepBack</button>
<button id="4">StepForward</button>
<button id="5">OSD</button>
<button id="6">OSD</button>
</joystick>
</FullscreenVideo>

<MyVideoFiles>
<button id="6">Down</button>
<button id="1">Down</button>
<button id="2">Down</button>
</joystick>
</MyVideoFiles>
</keymap>

Thy for help
It could be something to do with how the file is saved perhaps - try saving it as utf8? If you could upload the actual file (eg to megaupload or similar) we might be able to test it out ourselves.

hi thanks, that was a good point Smile aftr changing it to UTF-8 it is now loaded:

INFO: Loading /Users/aster/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata/Keymap.xml

unfortunately it still doesnt change the mapping of appleremote :/

pressing Menu on Fullscreen Video still leads to step back and so on.

regards

______

here is the funny part: my apple remote acts on the <remote> entries, not the <appleremote> entries...

bug or feature? or did i missed something in the manual?
That sounds like something that the XBMCHelper is in charge of - perhaps you have an older version than current which is why this is occuring. Feel free to either build latest SVN for yourself, try the newer version that was posted on these forums, or wait for the next Atlantis release.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Hello,

First thanks to all who contributed to this problem. I will try to play around with the settings ( main idea is to integrate Harmony One to XBMC).

looking forward to the next release. If i found some good combinations and activities within harmony one and anyone interested i can post it here.

btw: is there a list of all builtin functions of XBMC and commands?
(play, stop, Volumeup, etc.. Description of possible windows as <FullScreenVideo> etc?)

just wondered the difference between

<VideoMenu> and <VideoOSD> ?

Thanks again
I don't know whether this will help. I have been using XBMC for last couple of years on my modded xbox. Today I decided to try it out on my wife's macbook pro. When playing around with mac's remote I noticed that only when I use media stream skin short press of the menu button while video is playing rezults in movie information being shown.
It seems like the remote is acting differntly for different skins...
jmarshall Wrote:It could be something to do with how the file is saved perhaps - try saving it as utf8? If you could upload the actual file (eg to megaupload or similar) we might be able to test it out ourselves.

Ok, I'm having the same problem. The Keymap.xml file isn't loading (checked the logs).

So, noob for you... How do I check and see if the file is saved UTF-8?
Zip up the file and upload it somewhere for analysis.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems with the keymap.xml and Apple Remote0