Problems with the keymap.xml and Apple Remote
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=660C1DW9

Thanks...
jmarshall Wrote:It should be Keymap.xml (case sensitive).

The log file (in ~/Library/Logs/) should indicate if it is being loaded.
I don't know about the original poster, but I don't have anything other than AppleTV logs in that directory.

My Keymap file is located in:
~/mnt/Scratch/Users/frontrow/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata/Keymap.xml

Is this incorrect? Perhaps this is why I've never been able to get my original XBOX remote to work for the ATV version of XBMC?

Also, there is a sticky in this forum mentioning a Keymapping for the Apple remote; however, I don't see any link to the actual Keymap.xml or where they are storing that. Does anyone know how I might be able to get this?
Every instruction, help file, and even the XBMC manual says the "Keymap.xml" is located /Users/frontrow/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata/Keymap.xml This is 100% inaccurate.

The "Keymap.xml" is actually in /Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/system

Look...
MacBook:~ sdaniels$ ssh [email protected]

Welcome to the AppleTV (via atv-usbcreator)

[email protected]'s password:

-bash-2.05b$ cd /Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/system -bash-2.05b$ ls
IRSSmap.xml asound.conf players
ImageLib-osx.so cdrip python
Keymap.xml libcurl-osx.so scrapers
Lircmap.xml libexif-osx.so
X10-Lola-IRSSmap.xml libid3tag-osx.so
-bash-2.05b$

But ANY response you get from ANY of the "XBMC Developers", I use this title loosely, if ANY response at all will state it's in /Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/system

Clearly ITS NOT!

Placing one into /Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/system does absolutely NOTHING either. NO MATTER what SKIN you use, or Version of ATV OS, or stand on your head and bark like a dog.
If you wish to edit Keymap.xml, then you should do so in your userdata area.

You should not edit Keymap.xml that exists in the system folder. That is the system keymap, and XBMC will override it on reinstall.

You may copy the one from the system folder across to your userdata folder and then edit that if you wish, but remember that you only have to actually have the changes you need to make in the userdata folder - not the entire file.

If you could point out where any inaccuracies are in the manual we'll be quite happy to remedy them.

Thanks,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I downloaded the XBMC PDF and looked at the WIKI, the problem is in general all support documentation is geared towards XBOX... which I understand, but there are a lot of people posting instructions they find in both those places as support for Mac/AppleTV which is a whole new animal (Leopard and Tiger to be exact)Big Grin

One specific issue is that any changes you wish to make regarding posters are constantly referenced to modify filename.tbn, or filename.jpg to match filename.avi

THIS ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT WORK on APPLE TV!

You can have folder.jpg inside a folder and that folders image will be the folder.jpg. Also it has to be folder.jpg if it is Folder.jpg or any other variant IT WILL NOT WORK.

But you absolutely can not, even as tbn's, a filename.jpg and a filename.avi and expect the skin to display filename.jpg as the poster... I know for a FACT it works on XBOX, I had three of them, but it does not on AppleTV, I have three of them now.

Also, on Keymap.xml... You can't just modify /Users/frontrow/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata/Keymap.xml you need to cd /Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/system and sudo cp Keymap.xml /Users/frontrow/Library/Application*/XBMC/userdata

The Keymap.xml inside userdata by default doesn't have any keymaps for Apple Remote, it only has WII, PS, and XBOX.

Oh, and FYI on ATV if you have 400-500 movies in a single directory... like Movies, the DB crashes.
Question 
I must be missing something, there is no keymap.xml anywhere in my XBMC install. Many posts say it should be in /Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Resources/XBMC/system but all I have there is another directory called "keymaps" In there is "joystick.AppleRemote.xml" which seems to contain the ATV remote keymap.

I am on the newest stuff (ATV 2.4) and todays SVN build. Did something change in the way the keymap files are used?

I am looking to add the universal maps to the system and/or change the volume function to something more useful.

Also in reguards to using the web.api commands where do I find the master list of all the button codes, this was the real reason I was looking for keymap.xml. Does XBMChelper have all the button codes hardcoded, I can't find a master map file anywhere.

Thanks for any help someone can provide.
GG:confused2:
I don't think you're missing anything. I quit using the AppleTV and returned to the XBOX once I spent a ouple days testing/searching for solutions.

The little chicklet remote, and the poor way it's mapped to XBMC, makes the entire experience miserable, and if you read comparisons between different XBMC flavors, you'll notice this as one of the key issues pointed out.

What's more disconcerting is that it doesn't seem to get much attention in this specific forum, despite former XBMC users generally taking a major issue with it.
Finally found some up-to-date info on the key mapping. It was changed in r21442 which came after the current 9.04.1 release. Since I went to the nightly build my system now has the new system in it. see;
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Keymap.xml

The nightly build greatly improved my video (now perfect) and even 720p plays at about 90% frame rate witch is very watchable.

I can't give up on ATV now, it plays better then my modified 128mb xbox and is way more stable. I will be doing most of the controlling via the web.api which is pretty much the same. Just going to take a little time to get it programmed in my control system.

Anyone that has knowledge of the new key mapping scheme please help with some pointers. Smile

Thanks all,
GG
Information 
Now that the keymap.xml is replaced by /keymaps/joystick.AppleRemote.xml in the system area, do we do the same in the user area when we want to have a custom one and not have it wiped when a new download comes along.

That is should I make a directory called
/Users/frontrow/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata/Keymaps

and place my updated joystick.AppleRemote.xml in it.

If I do that above will the system see it or do I have to just edit the system one and keep fixing it every time I update..

Is there some threads I have missed talking about this new key mapping system?

GG
geekygizmo Wrote:Now that the keymap.xml is replaced by /keymaps/joystick.AppleRemote.xml in the system area, do we do the same in the user area when we want to have a custom one and not have it wiped when a new download comes along.

That is should I make a directory called
/Users/frontrow/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata/Keymaps

and place my updated joystick.AppleRemote.xml in it.

exactly.

geekygizmo Wrote:If I do that above will the system see it or do I have to just edit the system one and keep fixing it every time I update..

Is there some threads I have missed talking about this new key mapping system?

GG

I wasn't mentioned (besides in timeline and the wiki) as there's no real change for the end user and it might be part of a bigger change. Old userdata/Keymap.xml is still read for compatibility reasons.

cheers,
mdd

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules. If you don't have the time to read them, please don't take the time to post in this forum!
For clarification -- you're still referring to a keymap for the AppleTV Remote.

Is there any plan to offer an option to show IR codes / custom keymap for an XBMC compatible remote?
rusten Wrote:For clarification -- you're still referring to a keymap for the AppleTV Remote.

uhm, the big fat Keymap.xml was just split into several keymap.xmls to make it easier to edit.

rusten Wrote:Is there any plan to offer an option to show IR codes / custom keymap for an XBMC compatible remote?

Don't get it, what do you mean?
I'm not sure about it, but I think the internal IR receiver of theMacMini only recognizes the AppleRemote. On the ATV, Frontrow provides the ability to learn other remotes.

cheers,
mdd

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules. If you don't have the time to read them, please don't take the time to post in this forum!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems with the keymap.xml and Apple Remote0