• 3(current)
XBMC skin suite by wabidwoveren (XME)
as far as i can tell the dell skin is not copywritten.

Quote:* use of pictures licensed by third parties
you may use pictures, if any, provided in the software, which may be licensed from third parties, to demonstrate or complete your work created by the use of the software; provided that you should not use the pictures in any illegal or immoral manners, nor shall you grant your right to use to any third party. cyberlink does not provide any warranty or representation to these pictures from third parties.
cool skin :d

keep up the good work guys
i haven't seen the full license agreement so i could be wrong, but given the nature of the dell media experience i wouldn't be surprised if the 'third-party pictures' clause is referring to album artwork etc. pulled down as part of the cataloging process.
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
Sad 
(wabidwoveren @ mar. 08 2004,23:52 Wrote:as far as i can tell the dell skin is not copywritten.

you may use pictures, if any, provided in the software, which may be licensed from third parties, to demonstrate or complete your work created by the use of the software; provided that you should not use the pictures in any illegal or immoral manners, nor shall you grant your right to use to any third party. cyberlink does not provide any warranty or representation to these pictures from third parties.
can someone please post the full eula because that's not how i interpet that small section of the license, i read that as post pictures of this on your website as long as it referes to the dell software, as in reviews etc.. there is no way anyone can interpet that section alone as 'you may rip and re-use these pictures to do what you please with'. "the software" refers specifly to dell'as software in this case, and "licensed" means you have to get approval, something you most likely have to pay for.

and what exacly does "skin is based on dells mediacenter" mean?, point being if this dell skin uses any rippes or cloned pictures/images from dell then it's violates copywrite just as much as the mediacenter would do, so also need a yes or no answer to; where this pictures in the 'dell' skin ripped/cloned or not? if this skin does not use an rips or direct clones then it's mearly 'inspired by'..., which is a complete contrast to 'based on'.

sorry to sound all jumpy/offensive but it's something that needs to be cleared up before can officialy set it as a default xbmc skin
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(wabidwoveren @ mar. 08 2004,23:52 Wrote:as far as i can tell the dell skin is not copywritten.

can someone please post the full eula because that's not how i interpet that small section of the license, i read that as post pictures of this on your website as long as it referes to the dell software, as in reviews etc.. there is no way anyone can interpet that section alone as 'you may rip and re-use these pictures to do what you please with'. "the software" refers specifly to dell'as software in this case, and "licensed" means you have to get approval, something you most likely have to pay for.

and what exacly does "skin is based on dells mediacenter" mean?, point being if this dell skin uses any rippes or cloned pictures/images from dell then it's violates copywrite just as much as the mediacenter would do, so also need a yes or no answer to; where this pictures in the 'dell' skin ripped/cloned or not? if this skin does not use an rips or direct clones then it's mearly 'inspired by'..., which is a complete contrast to 'based on'.

sorry to sound all jumpy/offensive but it's something that needs to be cleared up before can officialy set it as a default xbmc skin

poing also made a few good points
(poing @ mar. 08 2004,13:13 Wrote:>  * use of pictures licensed by third parties
> you may use pictures, if any, provided in the software, which may be
> licensed from third parties, to demonstrate or complete your work created by
> the use of the software; provided that you should not use the pictures in
> any illegal or immoral manners, nor shall you grant your right to use to any
> third party. cyberlink does not provide any warranty or representation to
> these pictures from third parties.

could you paste the complete eula? based on this part, i don't think it's
right to assume that reuse of menu graphics is allowed.

"pictures, if any, provided in the software" -> are we even sure this
refers to menu graphics, and not included sample photos?

"[..] to demonstrate or complete your work created by the use of the
software;" -> even if we assume pictures refers to the menu graphics and
icons, this only states that we're allowed to use it to demonstrate dell
mediacenter, or complete work created by the use of the software. xbmc is
not demonstrating the dell mc nor is it created by the use of dell mc.

to me it seems most likely that this is referring to sample photos and not
the menu graphics, and that it's allowing you to include these samples in
any content that you produce with dell mc, and also for demonstrating dell
mc (in a pc retail environment or so).

also, let's think for a minute, why would they allow other companies or
people to copy the menu look & feel? there's nothing in it for dell. dell
mc is included on all new dell pcs as an alternative to the more expensive
windows media center edition, so it's supposed to promote dell pc sales
(it's not a free download nor can you buy it as a commercial product, as
far as i know). xbmc indirectly competes with dell pcs running dell mc, so
why would they let us reuse their custom designed menu graphics?

i think if we want a truly legal skin we have to choose one of the skins
created by homebrew authors, and make sure they didn't use any copyrighted
sources. i don't think any commercial software product will allow reuse of
their menu graphics for free.

poing
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
howdy!

i'm on a widescreen hdtv and applied the new default skin to xbmc. it seems there are some issues with the skin at 720p or 1080i. the top bar only runs half way across the screen and the buttons are positioned incorrectly when highlighted. this is also true of the text on the main menu buttons i believe. seems to be off-centered. i tried editing some of the xml files and resizing png files but couldn't get it to work right. this skin is awesome and can't wait to see the bugs worked out for widscreen hd users! thx.
for all this third party crap, dell is the third party, and its there graphics on top of the powerdvd player, this program is pretty basic, its just a gui ontop of powerdvd/windows media player.
Quote:for all this third party crap, dell is the third party, and its there graphics on top of the powerdvd player, this program is pretty basic, its just a gui ontop of powerdvd/windows media player.

i don't follow how this solves the legal question? i'm firmly with gamester17 on this. it's extremely unlikely that the xme skin is legal.
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
Sad 
just installed the 3-9-04 cvs w/the xbox media experience skinn and everything works fine except for the my weather part of it. checked the log file, and it seems like there are some problems with the myweather.xml and the loading of the skin (not changed - as in the official cvs).

-----------------------

10-03-2004 16:13:29 load default skin:[mediacenter]
10-03-2004 16:13:29 load skin from:q:\skin\mediacenter
10-03-2004 16:13:29 delete old skin...
10-03-2004 16:13:29 load fonts for skin...
10-03-2004 16:13:29 loading fonts from q:\skin\mediacenter\font.xml
10-03-2004 16:13:29 load font:font13 path:q:\skin\mediacenter\fonts\common-font13.xpr
10-03-2004 16:13:29 load font:font14 path:q:\skin\mediacenter\fonts\common-font14.xpr
10-03-2004 16:13:29 load font:font16 path:q:\skin\mediacenter\fonts\common-font16.xpr
10-03-2004 16:13:29 load font:matrix8 path:q:\skin\mediacenter\fonts\matrix8.xpr
10-03-2004 16:13:29 load new skin...
10-03-2004 16:13:30 unable to load:q:\skin\mediacenter\myweather.xml
10-03-2004 16:13:30 initialize new skin...
10-03-2004 16:13:30 skin loaded...
10-03-2004 16:13:30 initializing skin

--------------------------

btw - internet connection ok, all files are in the correct xbox directories...

why would the "weather" xml-load go wrong? missing png's in texture file, the ref. to logo file, ....

just a bit stuck here!
Sad 
just installed the 3-9-04 cvs w/the xbox media experience skinn and everything works fine except for the my weather part of it. checked the log file, and it seems like there are some problems with the myweather.xml and the loading of the skin (not changed - as in the official cvs).

-----------------------

10-03-2004 16:13:29 load default skin:[mediacenter]
10-03-2004 16:13:29 load skin from:q:\skin\mediacenter
10-03-2004 16:13:29 delete old skin...
10-03-2004 16:13:29 load fonts for skin...
10-03-2004 16:13:29 loading fonts from q:\skin\mediacenter\font.xml
10-03-2004 16:13:29 load font:font13 path:q:\skin\mediacenter\fonts\common-font13.xpr
10-03-2004 16:13:29 load font:font14 path:q:\skin\mediacenter\fonts\common-font14.xpr
10-03-2004 16:13:29 load font:font16 path:q:\skin\mediacenter\fonts\common-font16.xpr
10-03-2004 16:13:29 load font:matrix8 path:q:\skin\mediacenter\fonts\matrix8.xpr
10-03-2004 16:13:29 load new skin...
10-03-2004 16:13:30 unable to load:q:\skin\mediacenter\myweather.xml
10-03-2004 16:13:30 initialize new skin...
10-03-2004 16:13:30 skin loaded...
10-03-2004 16:13:30 initializing skin

--------------------------

btw - internet connection ok, all files are in the correct xbox directories...

why would the "weather" xml-load go wrong? missing png's in texture file, the ref. to logo file, ....

just a bit stuck here!
try to update the skin with the one from the newest cvs.
greets,

zilvershadow
designer of the kmlbrowser script.
hmmm...

am using the latest build (03.09.2004-proper-ind), so that should not be the problem (seems to be working for everybody else...?).

just in case, i did some .png updates from sourceforge (seemed to be missing some files from the "skin / mediacenter / pal / media " directory) without any changes.

so - still no action when selecting "my weather" from the main screen (just dead) - same error msg in logfile as previously.

everything else works...
with the risk of sounding like a complete lamer, where exactly do i find the xbox media experience skins for avalaunch, evox etc?

tried allxboxskins but not on there yet and the above link only seems to have the xbmc skin to download.

it does look quality and its a good idea having the same skins though multiple dash's .. gives it that 'factory' look.. nice!
does anybody know the difference between the new default skin and the xbox media experience you download separately? they look a little different. it's the fonts or something. anybody know?
(wessleym @ mar. 11 2004,17:53 Wrote:does anybody know the difference between the new default skin and the xbox media experience you download separately?  they look a little different.  it's the fonts or something.  anybody know?
lol
are you serious? Image
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC skin suite by wabidwoveren (XME)0