ubuntu 8.10 32-bit - xbmc blowing sound cards?
Hi,

has anyone else had their sound card blown from using xbmc? I have had my onboard sound card blow a few days ago after xbmc crashed from the pulseaudio bug when stopping a video.

I then installed an old soundblaster live card and disabling pulseaudio, xbmc seemed to run good, until today when xbmc crashed when playing an mp3, bricking this sound card as well.

I have tried the sound card in another pc and the onboard one in windows xp as I dual boot. They are both gubbed.

I don't wont to brick another sound card, so was wondering if there is a problem with xbmc for ubuntu 8.10?

Thanks,
Darren
Software shouldn't be able to kill hw normally. I'd say that must be a kernel bug in the alsa drivers in that case. And what makes you think it's broke.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Are you sure it's not your mainboard or bios at fault? I agree with elupus, it's either kernel bug that flash your hardware or it's simply broken Power Suply or MainBoard that burn chips.

Does "old" Sound Blaster cards have anything flash-able at all?
The only time I've had XBMC lose sound after a crash was indeed an ALSA bug but the hardware was fine -> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=35901
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
I wouldn't of thought that xbmc would cause physical damage to a sound card, but in my case my on-board sound card did fry, with one too many forever sound loop crashes (forever until I disable alsa I mean). The sound card will not be detected on ubuntu or windows anymore since the last crash using this card. All I can really do to test it is disable the on-board sound card then re-enable it again and test in different OS to see if it is being detected.

My sound blaster live card started working again after 4-5 restarts. Ubuntu seems to detect the sound card sometimes but not always now though as before it was being detected every time. I have never checked to see if the sb live! card is flash-able, will look into that when get more time. The sb live! cards must be 6-7 year old by now.

It could just be a problem with the pc as it is a new motherboard in it and I have not messed about with it long enough to test properly but just wanted to make sure that I am not doing any serious harm by trying to get xbmc running reliably with these random crashes.

Thanks for your info,
Darren
If you have bad static near the box and a poorly grounded case you'll blow sound cards quite often.

Happens in our office with some of the older cases that sit on carpet.
return null;
I'm pretty sure that XBMC linux just broke my sound card too - not all of it, just the digital output.

XBMC crashed and since then I can't get the card to work whatsoever.....
Tom George Wrote:I'm pretty sure that XBMC linux just broke my sound card too - not all of it, just the digital output.

XBMC crashed and since then I can't get the card to work whatsoever.....

Did you read and try this -> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=35901
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ubuntu 8.10 32-bit - xbmc blowing sound cards?0