Shortcuts
I think it would be cool to be able to add shortcuts that go directly to a folder or a media plugin when you hit 'a' on them. There is already something like this in the Games section (at least according to the xbmc manual (which i poured over trying to figure out how to do this)). You can create an xml format file with a .cut file that points directly to a .xbe file and that enables you to go even as far as launching a specific emulator game when you open the .cut file. This might already be possible to do for plugins by using AdvancedSettings.xml to not filter .cut files out of the video section so you could launch the default.py of your plugin but this wouldn't work for opening folders. Having a user friendly way to add these not only to the games section but also to the media section would be awesome for customization.

(this is what I am trying to accomplish... read if you like)
I'm trying to place a shorcut in F:/movies/ so that when I open my 'movies' share (which has F:/movies as one of the paths) in the videos section that a shortcut named "Apple Movies Trailers" shows up along with the two folders already under F:/movies (F:/movies/full length/ and F:/movies/tv shows/). Upon opening the shortcut it would open up the apple movie trailers plugin.
I would also like to do the same thing by adding a shortcut in my music videos source that points to the yahoo music video plugin created a couple days ago (which is saweeet). The last place I want to add a shortcut is actually a shortcut to an smb location so that i don't have to show all the folders and files that are with the parent folder of the smb location.
(Last night I even tried adding a path substitution in AdvancedSettings.xml to accomplish this but couldn't get it to work)

sorry for the massive post
add them to favorites Smile or there are an "bookmark" option under setting -> skin settings (atleast with pmIII)
Or just add F:\Videos\Full Length as a source, F:\Videos\TV as a source, AMT as a source, and your music videos and smb share as a source.

Simple.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

blittan: I want shortcuts inside of the media sources. What I'm trying to accomplish is not solved by what you suggested... although the PMIII skin is a good skin I prefer Vision so that last bit won't work either... (and I tried it out and it's still not what I'm trying to accomplish)

Think of what I'm suggesting more in terms of windows xp. Windows xp uses shortcut files to directly link to a different folder location, executable, internet url, etc. What I'm suggesting is the xbmc equivalent of this... I would like to be able to add shortcuts inside sources to folder locations and plugins for the purpose of customization and organization.
The example you gave showed a single level of "sources".

This is what XBMC provides. I see no reason for you needing anything else.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

jmarshall: Although i do see your solution is feasible, that would bring my list of sources to 8 sources (full length, misc, tv shows, music videos, pandora's box, playlists, apple movie trailers, and yahoo music videos). What I'm trying to achieve is less of a list and more categorical organization. This is what my sources look like now:

legend:
*=source
>=folder
_=plugin

*Movies
>full length
>misc
>tv shows
*Music Videos
>^new
>interviews
3 doors down - kryptonite.mpg
etc.
*Pandora's Box (this is linked to my downloads folder)
>too many to list
*Playlists
Rock.wpl
Hard Rock.wpl
etc.

And this is what i want to change it to

*Movies
_apple movie trailers (on click opens the amt plugin)
>full length
>misc
>tv shows
*Music Videos
>^new
>interviews
*playlists (source inside of source; this is linked directly to a smb location with my playlists)
_yahoo music videos (on click opens the plugin)
3 doors down - kryptonite.mpg
etc.
*Pandora's Box
>too many to list (this is linked to my downloads folder)

I could use 8 sources but i'm an organization freak and i would hate it.
I suspect your only option, then, is to add code support for some sort of shortcut file. A patch would most likely be considered.

i wouldn't know where to start as i've never coded before...
i could give it a shot though... could you point me in the right direction?
See GUIWindowPrograms.cpp for how .cut file parsing is done.

See any of the Filesystem/FileDirectory.cpp for how to setup a virtual directory from a file.

If you haven't done any coding before, it's probably beyond your abilities, but that's a challenge, right?

I looked at the code in GUIWindowPrograms.cpp but I also realize looking at it that yes, this is beyond what I can do. I could with experience but i'd probably understand xml alot easier lol... What are the different projects under the branches section of the svn? (particularly the musicvideo one) and finally is the following what you were talking about in GUIWindowPrograms.cpp?

else if (item->IsShortCut())
{ // resolve the shortcut to set it's description etc.
// and save the old shortcut path (so we can reassign it later)
CShortcut cut;
if (cut.Create(item->m_strPath))
{
shortcutPath = item->m_strPath;
item->m_strPath = cut.m_strPath;
item->SetThumbnailImage(cut.m_strThumb);

LABEL_MASKS labelMasks;
m_guiState->GetSortMethodLabelMasks(labelMasks);
CLabelFormatter formatter("", labelMasks.m_strLabel2File);
if (!cut.m_strLabel.IsEmpty())
{
item->SetLabel(cut.m_strLabel);
__stat64 stat;
if (CFile::Stat(item->m_strPath,&stat) == 0)
item->m_dwSize = stat.st_size;

formatter.FormatLabel2(item);
item->SetLabelPreformated(true);
musicvideo branch was my development branch when i did the musicvideo support.

i'll remove it now
spiff: just curious... how long ago was that? and what was it for?
uhm. maybe three weeks ago. it was for adding music video support and music video smart playlists (all of which is in trunk now)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shortcuts0