• 8(current)
Windows 7 + XBMC
People may find better results in Win7 when upon installing it, you do a FRESH install, IE. NOT the upgrade install path. There are still numerous reports of this method failing on various platforms. This is still true up to and including build 7100, both x86 and x64 versions are affected, I suspect it's a migration tool error that needs to be ironed out by MS.

I am running 7100 x86 on my HTPC with one of ikons recent(week or two old) builds, Sharky's win7 codec pack installed(just for fallback), and nvidia 180's running...the 185's cause issues for me still on a 7600GS. So far, my only issues have been:

Installing the SVN repo installer has been fruitless for me, so no scripts/plugins work still...I'm not sure what I have done wrong just yet but I will track back and figure that out.

And, I have XBMC set to start in the startup folder with no other autostart programs...everything used to start fine, XBMC took focus and ran fine.
Now, randomly it seems, it starts in the background, fullscreen, but in the background. When this happens...it does not recognize my database, I only get the add source icon in videos, music, etc.

If I exit out, and restart XBMC...all is fine. I have also seen it do this when idle for long periods. I've tried changing screensaver settings, but to no avail, it still happens. I'm not sure if it's the power settings in win, or if somehow the build I have is responsible...does anyone else have this problem in build 7100 with an official XBMC release?

Any ideas would be helpful.

**also, those with newer nvidia drivers in...may find it useful to make an XBMC profile in the nvidia control panel, and use that to turn off PhysX feature upon XBMC start. This should avoid the Aero issue**
m0deth Wrote:People may find better results in Win7 when upon installing it, you do a FRESH install, IE. NOT the upgrade install path. There are still numerous reports of this method failing on various platforms. This is still true up to and including build 7100, both x86 and x64 versions are affected, I suspect it's a migration tool error that needs to be ironed out by MS.

I am running 7100 x86 on my HTPC with one of ikons recent(week or two old) builds, Sharky's win7 codec pack installed(just for fallback), and nvidia 180's running...the 185's cause issues for me still on a 7600GS. So far, my only issues have been:

Installing the SVN repo installer has been fruitless for me, so no scripts/plugins work still...I'm not sure what I have done wrong just yet but I will track back and figure that out.

And, I have XBMC set to start in the startup folder with no other autostart programs...everything used to start fine, XBMC took focus and ran fine.
Now, randomly it seems, it starts in the background, fullscreen, but in the background. When this happens...it does not recognize my database, I only get the add source icon in videos, music, etc.

If I exit out, and restart XBMC...all is fine. I have also seen it do this when idle for long periods. I've tried changing screensaver settings, but to no avail, it still happens. I'm not sure if it's the power settings in win, or if somehow the build I have is responsible...does anyone else have this problem in build 7100 with an official XBMC release?

Any ideas would be helpful.

**also, those with newer nvidia drivers in...may find it useful to make an XBMC profile in the nvidia control panel, and use that to turn off PhysX feature upon XBMC start. This should avoid the Aero issue**

i think it might be your remote, what remote and soft are you using?
used to have the same, but after a clean install and configuration of the event ghost all seems to be fine now
my case has the iMon vfd, and remote, I am using the latest software directly from soundgraph, I believe it has been tested for Win7 according to their site. Everything seems to work fine until it's idle for awhile. I did notice however, that the template I found online for XBMC+iMon remote seemed to be allocated correctly, but I still had to go through it again and reconfigure the assignments, now it works fine.

I'll go through it's settings again...and see if it's triggering this somehow, but I believe I turned off features that prevented standby.
Dan Dare Wrote:@Brice
You've probably missed the announcement where ATI Catalyst dropped support for a few graphic cards a couple of months ago, you should try with 9.3 version, not 9.5.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/wi...ng=English

Ok thx Dan, but actually it seems there's a hack in order to get the catalyst driver to work. Anyway I read your too late as I installed back my usual XP.

Anyway it's a shame that MS didn't provide a recent OpenGL driver for these cards.
@Brice
MS can only provide the basic drivers, it's manufacuter's task to provide accelerated or improved drivers, not MS's. You can call it hack, but basically it only enables the drivers to be installed on Windows 7 - they might work just as well, I don't think there's much changes in the driver model there.
Works great on my windows 7 rc1 x64 HTPC.

AMD Phenom 8750 Toliman 2.4GHz 3 core 95w
MSI Media Live Diva 5.1 plus the preamp soundcard
On board ATI Radion HD3200
4 x 1 terabyte sata segate 7200.12 hard drives
4 case fans - 3 x ENERMAX UC-8EB 80mm; 1 x Scythe KAMA FLEX SA0925FDB12L 92mm
Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 (PC2 6400)
hi guys. i just downloaded xbmc 9.04.1 and i am trying to install it on windows 7 x64 build 7100. but when i try to start the install program i get the following error from windows : nsis error - installer integrity check has failed. common causes include incomplete download and damaged media.

i tried and redownload the file but i still got the same problem. also tried to run the file as admin but with no luck.

don't know if any of my hardware could be causing this. so i'll just post it anyways.

mobo. asus maximus formula SE.
GFX . xfx geforce 8800GTS 640
4 GB ram from chroshair
6 samsung spinpoint HDD's 1TB each.

hope someone can help me.
I think it's probalby a damaged download. try downloading it from another source, better yet download the newest unofficial compiled ppa from teh sticked thread in this forum
Dan Dare Wrote:@Brice
MS can only provide the basic drivers, it's manufacuter's task to provide accelerated or improved drivers, not MS's. You can call it hack, but basically it only enables the drivers to be installed on Windows 7 - they might work just as well, I don't think there's much changes in the driver model there.

Well after finally trying seven for good, thx to MSDN, I connot say AMD di a good job then thier page say 9.3 or earlier should be installed, but well the driver isn't even seen by win7 http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/wi...ng=English (I saw several report on this matter with the 9.3.1 legacy driver).

So I cannot use XBMC on 7 until i upgrade my computer, what a shame !
Thx AMD for doing a great job!
@Brice
Not quite true, have a look at this.

http://dandar3.blogspot.com/2009/06/cata...rs-on.html

PS: Oh, I already said that earlier, but it worked for me... I don't know about 9.3.1, it might work, I'll actually try it, thanks for the link.
@Dan Dare

Thx for your reply, but actually i already tryed that method without success : ONce I chose the inf file, Windows tells me the driver has been updated, but it actually does nothing. As I wasn't sure, and the same windows driver is used upon reboot.

EDIT: Actually I'm not the only one (on the original thread where MerlinUK posted his tweaks) : http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.c...TMP=Linear
@Brice
That is the point of altering the .inf file itself, it might not work as you found though. But maybe you shouldn't update yourself using the .inf, you should run the setup...
@Dan Dare
Well I tried that too, actually i tried quite a lot of things, anyway none of which were successful.

However I read a post were a guy installed the last year driver catalyst 8.7, and well it just worked: Download, Install (even the reboot wasn't required)
AN d now XBMC rocks on my computer Big Grin
Does anyone else has problems with XBMC on WIndows 7 x64?
After a few minutes in the menu it hangs and the Monitor is flickering some times.
(i'm using XBMC_for_Windows-9.04.1-repack2)

edit:
Forget about that, it was a problem with 64bit and my Asus P5Q-SE....after i dealed with some more problems (not just XBMC crashes), i checked every component and exchanged my maindboard, all problems were gone and XBMC runs fine again Smile
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 7 + XBMC0