• 23(current)
[PATCH] LaunchPlayer - External Video Player Launcher (to launch third-party players)
Mshake Wrote:Your second error code, unsure if it's simply a " problem or something with copy and paste.

C:\Program Files\python>python c:\python26\vlc.py o:\test.avi-> needs to be "o:\test.avi"

And in your line above, is python installed in Program Files\Python OR c:\Python26Huh? I am confused with your commandline above

Can you try to copy my settings and check back? My settings,
c:\python26 -> python installed here
c:\ -> scripts here
c:\Kmplayer\kmplayer.exe -> installed here

I will also try to install VLC and test from my end later today (after work, in about 10 hours, in the interim I will be online)

Sorry many is having some troubles but like I have mentioned a couple of times, not 100% sure this works for everyone but I am satisfied for now. Still fingers crossed and hoping there would be an internal patch to rectify the smb:// issue Smile

I had installed python 3 and 2.61. removed v3 now.

Tried it with kmplayer: success!

Tried it with vlc and python 2.61 (vlc works if directly called from advancedsettings.xml):

C:\>c:\python26\python c:\vlc.py "o:\cinema\test.avi"
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "c:\vlc.py", line 5, in <module>
os.execl('C:\VLC\vlc.exe','C:\VLC\vlc.exe','--fullscreen',file,)
File "c:\python26\lib\os.py", line 312, in execl
execv(file, args)
OSError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument

...KMPlayer even works without arguments

Thanks,

TvonT
konfoo, any news on having the "watched/unwatched" flag work? It would really add to the experience. And happy new year to all and XBMC project!
TvonT - i tested VLC (downloaded the zip package into C:\VLC as per your install)

Commandline test goes straight to fullscreen without even the flag hehe....
But if yours working via advanced settings, that is good. Personally I would use this ONLY for a very small amount of files....XBMC internal dvdplayer is actually pretty darn good

Cheers...
P.S. Don't think KMPlayer support UDP streaming which is what you wanted right?
Mshake Wrote:TvonT - i tested VLC (downloaded the zip package into C:\VLC as per your install)

Commandline test goes straight to fullscreen without even the flag hehe....
But if yours working via advanced settings, that is good. Personally I would use this ONLY for a very small amount of files....XBMC internal dvdplayer is actually pretty darn good

Cheers...
P.S. Don't think KMPlayer support UDP streaming which is what you wanted right?

Mshake,

does this mean your script works with vlc?

KMplayer has no built-in streaming server. Unfortunately. VLC is the only player (and not the worst one...one can specify its options in a vlcrc file and must not make use of the command line switches. And thats damned good.) My goal is to start a video on the main XBMC 'server' and have a few listening-clients in different rooms. This currently works great with vlc - i mean: really great and very stable. Also, you have PLENTY of switches for postprocessing in vlc. In my opinion, its the most powerful videoplayer currently available.

Just two things left:

1) the launchplayer-patch needs to run stable with all the focus / fullscreen issues resolved
2) I need an OSX build with launchplayer patch included (already did a request for that in the propper section) (the 'server' runs on OSX)

Your script is needed for the "smb slashes problem".
Really hope you can help with that.

Thanks,

TvonT
heh i'd thought xbmc would have a streaming capability as well? Or not..unsure..never tested full features of xbmc...

Have sent you a pm. Perhaps you could send your vlc config as well?

I am interested in VLC streaming capabilities as well.

Cool
Sad 
Mshake Wrote:I had the same issue
MPC - will not fullscreen no matter what I did. Commandline Mlayerc.exe /fullscreen works fine, just not via the command passed by external launcher

Zoomplayer - I did play around briefly but again there was a focussing issue. In the end I went with kmplayer, all good although u can probably see the splash window closing say 0.10 of a second and you will get xbmc in focus back

Thanks for the help Mshake, I downloaded a few alternatives, GOMPlayer and KMPlayer. So far I've only tried KMPlayer. It's working fullscreen (ideal), but there are a couple of problems im experiencing. Did you have any of these issues?

* KMPlayer seems to give the tearing/shearing effect while playing videos Sad
* After the file has finished, kmplayer closes (trying to return to xbmc), but shows this error: I've no idea what it means, have you had experience of it?

Cheers.

ps- Sorry about image dimensions :\
pantsonfire -> haha Smile (ur nick)

1) Tearing - erm, not really might be helpful over at kmplayer forums? so sorry can't help u there. Try disabling all the player's default video plugins and load the minimum as I suspect you would have already installed your preferred codecs?

2) The screenshot posted - Try uninstalling and installing to C:\kmplayer\*.* instead of c:\program files\the kmplayer\*.* (default directory?) AND also under options, preferences i think, select play selected file only (this player seems to enjoy stacking and looking for all media files ala winamp behaviour)

Tip: when u are playing the file prior to closing, have a look in the playlist, I initially had something similar with eg Testvideo.avi being played and the next file being queued is simply called 'The' which obviously does not make sense. Reinstalling to a root directory without spaces seem to solve it.
a few updates for the community

1) MShakes tip was perfect. Python is very pissy about capital / non capital letters. After writing VLC uppercase, everything was smooth with his script. Thank you, MShake!

2) VLC (most of the time) takes focus after setting it's video output to opengl instead of standard

Summary: XBMC in connection with VLC reflects my needs now perfectly as I can watch AND stream videos simulaneously to my LAN.

The only thing left is an OSX build with externalplayer patch applied.

I count on you, althekiller.

Regards and a very well start into the new year,

TvonT
Mshake Wrote:pantsonfire -> haha Smile (ur nick)

1) Tearing - erm, not really might be helpful over at kmplayer forums? so sorry can't help u there. Try disabling all the player's default video plugins and load the minimum as I suspect you would have already installed your preferred codecs?

2) The screenshot posted - Try uninstalling and installing to C:\kmplayer\*.* instead of c:\program files\the kmplayer\*.* (default directory?) AND also under options, preferences i think, select play selected file only (this player seems to enjoy stacking and looking for all media files ala winamp behaviour)

Tip: when u are playing the file prior to closing, have a look in the playlist, I initially had something similar with eg Testvideo.avi being played and the next file being queued is simply called 'The' which obviously does not make sense. Reinstalling to a root directory without spaces seem to solve it.

Thanks MShake, I reinstalled a new version of KMPlayer, and it took take of the shearing problem. And also it exits properly thanks to the c:\KMPLAYER\ suggestion.

It seems like you take your chances with this extplayer. For instance, now I have it opening and closin corrrectly, but a few niggles have arisen that didn't exist before:

* The mousecursor stays on screen when the video plays even tho I have told it not to in the advancedsettings xml.

* This last point is minor, but after player quits, it returns to xbmc (nice). But it takes two taps of a direction button/input before any menu item is selected in xbmc. It's only very very minor but do you know why it's happening?
well nothing is perfect. I tried diff players and even this one yes come with niggles and bits that I do not like.

With the mouse cursor, I don't think u even need to set it in advancedsettings.xml, leave it false coz that is ultimately the function of your player, i think you can hide the cursor from player. This 'may' be causing your second problem with two taps anywayHuh Smile

Two taps? hmm unsure and probably low attention level to try to figure it out anyway. I get this even on my xbox sometimes!

Majority of my stuffs I can play well via inbuilt player, only very specific files need this external player function seriously. With FFMPeg today it even decodes RV40 nicely !

My advice? Enjoy the new functionality and XBMC windows hehe...and Happy New Year!
Happy new year, everyone.

Does any one use powerdvd as external player? I found powerdvd cannot get its screen in the front, instead, it just stays behind of xbmc (this only happens when xbmc is in fullscreen mode). Powerdvd can obtain focus, as it can be controlled by mouse or keyboard, while it's invisible...

I also tried kmplayer, and it functions well.
Hi,

i'm using the externalplayer patch on ubuntu intrepid, latest svn and experience the often metioned "xbmc fullscreen / no video" problem, too, but also, vlc does not use spdif-passthrough output if started from xbmc.

If i launch vlc manually with the same commandline arguments without xbmc running, it perfectly switches to spdif-passthrough.

Maybe a pulseaudio/vlc problem.

I would like to use vlc because it plays all of the files i have without problems, while xbmc keeps crashing (xbmc exits, picture freezes, no sound with terratec aureon 5.1 with spdif passthrough and so on) if i use the internal video player.

Had anyone a similar problem and kows how to fix it?

Thanks and a happy new year with (hopefully) lots of improvements in this fine mediacenter software Wink.
Hi All,

I'm (newbie) trying to test the patch under ubuntu linux. My story so far.

1. Remove "^M" from the patch file and "project/VS2008Express/XBMC.vcproj" I finally got the patch to apply cleanly.

2. I ran into a problem with the 'make' command. The error was "Makefile:115: *** missing separator. Stop.". After googling I found out that there was a space or something on line 115 in the Makefile. After I removed it and used a TAB insert. That took care of that.

3. Here's where I am stuck. ExternalPlayer will not compile. It says...

ExternalPlayer.h:100: error: ‘POINT’ does not name a type
make: *** [ExternalPlayer.o] Error 1

Line 100 is...
POINT m_ptCursorpos;

Can anyone help me with this one?

Thanks,
PBjr.
Hi,

as i mentioned above, i have it working. Replace the line

POINT m_ptCursorpos;

with

#if defined(_WIN32PC)
POINT m_ptCursorpos;
#endif

and it will compile fine. Still got digital sound and fullscreen-problem, but i can successfully launch vlc, mplayer or whatever i want from xbmc on ubuntu.

HtH, Skillshot
skillshot Wrote:Hi,

as i mentioned above, i have it working. Replace the line

POINT m_ptCursorpos;

with

#if defined(_WIN32PC)
POINT m_ptCursorpos;
#endif

and it will compile fine. Still got digital sound and fullscreen-problem, but i can successfully launch vlc, mplayer or whatever i want from xbmc on ubuntu.

HtH, Skillshot

Skillshot,

Thanks for the reply. I took a chance and removed the line. Glad to see it does not apply to linux.

I ran into more issues not related to the xbmc. I had to get Pulseaudio installed. My external player, in this case is 'mythtv' for recordings playback (for commerical skip) complained that the audio device was already in use. I'm not sure if that was the best solution, but sound now works with XBMC and mythtv running at the same time.

As you mentioned, I am having the fullscreen issue as well. XBMC at full screen will not allow 'mythtv' to be on top. I messed with the advanced settings.xml options with no success.

I'm going to try mplayer and see if I get any different results. Will report back.

Thanks again for your help.
-PBjr.

BTW: Using a C-Media CMI8788 sound card with 7.1 analog output.
  • 23(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[PATCH] LaunchPlayer - External Video Player Launcher (to launch third-party players)3