• 5(current)
[PATCH] LaunchPlayer - External Video Player Launcher (to launch third-party players)
konfoo Wrote:Yes, provided your external player is capable of offloading decoding to the GPU, ofcourse.

excuse my ignorance. i just assumed vlc, mpc etc. did push the decoding off to the GPU.... i guess i need to look into that a bit further.
Would it be possible to specify in the configuration a specific file extension that 'triggers' the external player?

I am suggesting that the internal player would still be called unless a match was found on the extension of the media file that was selected to play. For example, send all "VOB" extension files to an external player; otherwise use the internal player.

thanks!
stiggy Wrote:Would it be possible to specify in the configuration a specific file extension that 'triggers' the external player?

I am suggesting that the internal player would still be called unless a match was found on the extension of the media file that was selected to play. For example, send all "VOB" extension files to an external player; otherwise use the internal player.

thanks!

That is an excellent idea.
Yes this (extensions) is on the to-do list, along with per-extension applications. If you have any feature requests *please* add them to the trac ticket - http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5300
This is a great feature, only I dont get it to work correctly.

First off, when I try to use it with wmp nothing happens. XBMC hangs for a couple of seconds, then nothing.
"Bind" it to VLC instead. The movie plays, but XBMC is on top and I cant watch the movie, only hear it. Only thing I can do is to alt+tab to VLC and alt+f4 to close it (although I never actually see the VLC-gui or the movie). After that i can control XBMC again.

Anyone have any idea?
larsson2 Wrote:This is a great feature, only I dont get it to work correctly.

First off, when I try to use it with wmp nothing happens. XBMC hangs for a couple of seconds, then nothing.
"Bind" it to VLC instead. The movie plays, but XBMC is on top and I cant watch the movie, only hear it. Only thing I can do is to alt+tab to VLC and alt+f4 to close it (although I never actually see the VLC-gui or the movie). After that i can control XBMC again.

Anyone have any idea?

You need to run the launched player in it's equivalent 'fullscreen' mode. MPC (/d3dfs or /fullscreen) and Mplayer (-fs) both work in this way. Reason for doing this - the controls are hidden in the window creation so that you don't see any UI pop over the XBMC screen right before the player starts playing. I'm aiming for a seamless switchover experience.

I have not tested VLC or WMP as of yet.
I have no idea why, but I got it working only after I gone to the Play with DVD (which was not the default). And after that, all files play in my preferred player (MPC)

Hooray for a very-welcome patch!
Sounds promising. Any chance to get a linux version of your patch any time soon?
konfoo Wrote:You need to run the launched player in it's equivalent 'fullscreen' mode. MPC (/d3dfs or /fullscreen) and Mplayer (-fs) both work in this way. Reason for doing this - the controls are hidden in the window creation so that you don't see any UI pop over the XBMC screen right before the player starts playing. I'm aiming for a seamless switchover experience.

I have not tested VLC or WMP as of yet.

I'm using the fullscreen-mode; --fullscreen for VLC. Maybe should try with MPC?

EDIT:
Just tested MPC with /fullscreen -switch, same results

<advancedsettings>
<launchplayer>
<defaultplayer>true</defaultplayer>
<filename>c:\Program Files\MPC\mplayerc.exe</filename>
<args>/fullscreen</args>
</launchplayer>
</advancedsettings>

Looks correct?
larsson2 Wrote:Looks correct?

I use /d3dfs. If that still doesn't work make sure XBMC is not running in fullscreen mode (you can't have two applications running fullscreen). You should run it maximized but not fullscreen.
enkil Wrote:Sounds promising. Any chance to get a linux version of your patch any time soon?

I plan to merge in the extplayer patch with some modifications.
Question 
Trying to set this up LaunchPlayer solution.

Following the steps on the original post, I have edited the XBMC.vcproj file to contain the lines regarding "xbmc\cores\launchplayer\..." etc.

done (I think) correctly.

Next, I refer to the readme in the Patch files zip.
It says "- Apply the following patches to XBMC"

and then it lists a few .cpp files with lots of lines of code following them.
(so does this mean we have to edit those particular files? (the cpp files))
-and if so, where abouts do you add these lines within those files?

Huh
Or do I understand it wrongly, and where it says "apply the following patches.." it just means, to build using the BAT file. ?

If this fails then Im obviously doing something wrong. I noticed one or two posts in this thread mention the patch having been applied and a new setup file available for download with the patches added to it. -Is this download in the original post? Because I tried the exe from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=48b80...c6d1e3c59c

And I couldn't get it to work. Perhaps I need to uninstall my last build (8.10 Atlantis) first? But seeing as there seems to be no uninstall, will deleting the program from program files work the same?

Thanks for patience reading, really want to get this going. Just need a little help

Wink

Damn, I just tried with the BUILD.bat, I should have realised I need VisualStudio installed. Is there a free version anywhere?

Without VisualStudio installed, I downloaded the patched exe from the above link, if I right click a video in xbmc, hit 'play using' then hit LaunchPlayer, my xbmc freezes outright. If I bring up task manager, I also see that explorer has crashed too. Damn Sad
Quote:done (I think) correctly.

If it's correct it will appear in your solution in VC++ when you load it under the players area.

Quote:and then it lists a few .cpp files with lots of lines of code following them.
(so does this mean we have to edit those particular files? (the cpp files))
-and if so, where abouts do you add these lines within those files?

If you don't know how to apply patches please search the forums or google. + means add, - subtract. @ indicates the line numbers.

The cpp files and h files in the archive are not patches (else they would be suffixed with .patch or .diff). This is the actual launchplayer source.

Quote:If this fails then Im obviously doing something wrong. I noticed one or two posts in this thread mention the patch having been applied and a new setup file available for download with the patches added to it. -Is this download in the original post? Because I tried the exe from here: And I couldn't get it to work. Perhaps I need to uninstall my last build (8.10 Atlantis) first? But seeing as there seems to be no uninstall, will deleting the program from program files work the same?

If it didn't work you misconfigured it or you're launching the wrong xbmc.exe.

Quote:Damn, I just tried with the BUILD.bat, I should have realised I need VisualStudio installed. Is there a free version anywhere?

VSC++ Express.

Quote:Without VisualStudio installed, I downloaded the patched exe from the above link, if I right click a video in xbmc, hit 'play using' then hit LaunchPlayer, my xbmc freezes outright. If I bring up task manager, I also see that explorer has crashed too. Damn Sad

Sorry can't help you there. Seems that you have a lot of other problems to fix first.
konfoo Wrote:I use /d3dfs. If that still doesn't work make sure XBMC is not running in fullscreen mode (you can't have two applications running fullscreen). You should run it maximized but not fullscreen.

When I use the /d3dfs -switch MPC says that its not a valid switch, but comes up with a list with available switches. For example it mention /fullscreen.

When you say I should'nt run XBMC in fullscreen-mode, do you mean I should start it in windowed-mode? Did try that to, same result.
larsson2 Wrote:When I use the /d3dfs -switch MPC says that its not a valid switch, but comes up with a list with available switches. For example it mention /fullscreen.

d3dfs is only available in the homecinema edition of MPC, IIRC
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[PATCH] LaunchPlayer - External Video Player Launcher (to launch third-party players)3