• 4(current)
[PATCH] LaunchPlayer - External Video Player Launcher (to launch third-party players)
WiSo Wrote:Of course XBMC uses an internal protocol to access the shares which an external program doesn't have. How should an external player access a share if it doesn't have an internal smb client (not mentioning the syntax).
Mapping the shares to local letters is the only choice here.

If the external player call will ever be implemented is not yet clear. I heard different opinions from the team and finally the team decides about the architecture.
Ok, unfortunately this is a little bit too "technical" for my skills and understanding. I thought that XBMC could pass to the external player the correct networked path, but this is an uneducated thought, I admit.
In any case I posted on the Trac system.

To be honest, I think this is just a stopgap solution (albeit a really good one). People clamoring for external codecs, etc. are IMO missing the point about what made XBMC great in the first place.
XBMC has to handle all files internally, with the right performace, the right feature set, etc. This is what it's always been all about. And I'm confident it'll get there.
WiSo Wrote:If the external player call will ever be implemented is not yet clear. I heard different opinions from the team and finally the team decides about the architecture.

When the latest ffmpeg libs with postproc support are available in XBMC there will be no need for an external player -- except if you are using DRM-encrypted content or want to launch a player that supports some sort of online service which has no decoder available (i.e. a strm file launching a player that can decode hulu with authorization, or netflix watchnow (which is DRM'd)). Everything else can be transcoded or converted to a format that is watchable, and there is more than enough variety of codecs out there to service any compression need (H264, etc.).
Agreed and I'm also not a friend of the external player solution but I'm willing to make compromises if we don't have another solution for a certain problem.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Great work konfoo! Just wanted to let you know that your efforts are greatly appreciated and you should be commended for stepping up vs. just whining to those that are putting in the effort. I can't imagine how frustrating that must be to the developers and just wanted to reinforce that the vast majority of us really are appreciative and respect all of the effort contributors like yourself are putting in.
cheers,

crazyivan
midgetspy Wrote:It should be in your UserData folder.

Thanks.. working like it should be Smile

Big Grin
I can't seem to get this to work.
I checked out svn revision 16149, took the patch information from readme.txt
and made 3 patches of it , applied them to project/VS2008Express/XBMC.vcproj,
xbmc/Settings.h, xbmc/Settings.cpp, xbmc/cores/PlayerCoreFactory.cpp
and xbmc/cores/PlayerCoreFactory.h.
All patches were successfull.
Then i put LaunchPlayer.cpp and LaunchPlayer.h in xbmc/cores/launchplayer/.
Then i did ./configure and make, but make fails with the message:
Code:
xbmc/cores/PlayerCoreFactory.o: In function `CPlayerCoreFactory::CreatePlayer(EPLAYERCORES, IPlayerCallback&)':
/home/alius/src/xbmcpatch/XBMC/xbmc/cores/PlayerCoreFactory.cpp:72: undefined reference to `CLAUPlayer::CLAUPlayer(IPlayerCallback&)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [xbmc.bin] Error 1

Did i do something wrong somewhere?
Alius Wrote:
Code:
xbmc/cores/PlayerCoreFactory.o: In function `CPlayerCoreFactory::CreatePlayer(EPLAYERCORES, IPlayerCallback&)':
/home/alius/src/xbmcpatch/XBMC/xbmc/cores/PlayerCoreFactory.cpp:72: undefined reference to `CLAUPlayer::CLAUPlayer(IPlayerCallback&)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [xbmc.bin] Error 1

Did i do something wrong somewhere?

It looks like you're compiling under *nix? I haven't yet added support for Linux and OSX, so the makefiles to build the project under *nix don't have references to launchplayer. That is next on the list after I get the remaining issues under Windows straightened out.

If you want to provide patchfiles to get it compiled under *nix please do so. Laugh
How can I add other skins without uninstalling the launcher version?

* I changed the drive letter to make it work !!
btw: a nice addition would be to make it configurable for which file types to use the external player. like with the apple movie trailers i'd prefer internal playback, for mkv/avi/ts external etc.
Could you please post a compiled Atlantis 8.10 build with your patch in it? I'd be really grateful, thanks!
midgetspy Wrote:Could you please post a compiled Atlantis 8.10 build with your patch in it? I'd be really grateful, thanks!

Will do, working on some other features as well.
Will this feature be part of the next official release as well?

Maybe with some changeable setting within the xbmc itself? Like the cache size change? Which is implemented as a built in option?

When will you release a windows binary with the official release?
New build up.

I have no idea if this will be part of the official release. As far as I am concerned it should not be fully integrated and should remain in advancedsettings because it encourages users to not use the default player.
can someone please clarify if this approach in short allows XBMC to act as a front end to your media. ie. launching an external player removes the overhead of the cpu for video decoding and puts it back on the GPU?

that cant be the case or the developers would have done this ages ago just like its available in MeediOS etc.

XBMC as a front end...now that sounds nice....

i still cant get decent playback on my PC install, but i aint alone.

thanks
alienagenda Wrote:can someone please clarify if this approach in short allows XBMC to act as a front end to your media. ie. launching an external player removes the overhead of the cpu for video decoding and puts it back on the GPU?

Yes, provided your external player is capable of offloading decoding to the GPU, ofcourse.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[PATCH] LaunchPlayer - External Video Player Launcher (to launch third-party players)3