• 7(current)
[LINUX] Ubuntu PulseAudio Sound Issues
Hi Everyone, I have worked out that I want to totally remove pulseaudio, after a lot of testing I have fount that no mater what I set or kill when I start xbmc it always starts up pulseaudio,,,,, if I "sudo pulseaudio remove" it wants to also remove the ubuntu desktop ? Will this cause me problems ? will it not allow me to login into ubuntu again ? I want to just use alsa as my sound setup.
Read posts just before yours and you will find links to websites that have details on how to remove pulse audio.
Thanks uomairz,, I did read all these posts and went ahead and unistalled pulse audio bla bla bla.... It seemed to unistall it ok but, and Im sorry if this has been covered before, and I have tried every thing possible on every link and post I can find, I can get sound now through alsa on every thing else ie mplayer, rythem, totem.... but xmbc my audio setup is ice958 just like everyone elses, even changing this to defaut still has no sound in xbmc and the video plays really fast. Please if anyone knows how I can fix this please help me.... Im using ubuntu 9.04 jaunty, my sound card is a onboard I think its intel.
This is so frustrating ??

Cheers
Insem
Insem Wrote:Thanks uomairz,, I did read all these posts and went ahead and unistalled pulse audio bla bla bla.... It seemed to unistall it ok but, and Im sorry if this has been covered before, and I have tried every thing possible on every link and post I can find, I can get sound now through alsa on every thing else ie mplayer, rythem, totem.... but XBMC my audio setup is ice958 just like everyone elses, even changing this to defaut still has no sound in xbmc and the video plays really fast. Please if anyone knows how I can fix this please help me.... Im using ubuntu 9.04 jaunty, my sound card is a onboard I think its intel.
This is so frustrating ??

Cheers
Insem

Did you enable/unmute the digital outputs in Alsa mixer? Depending on your audio card there are 2-3 of them...
So is the only way to get AC3 passthrough working to uninstall or kill Pulseaudio? Can't you somehow force xbmc to use alsa only?
spliff Wrote:So is the only way to get AC3 passthrough working to uninstall or kill Pulseaudio? Can't you somehow force xbmc to use alsa only?

Welcome to the forums. But please. Read the entire thread, it contains everything you need to know.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
thanks for your replys, I have reinstalled pulseaudio and caused other issues, I think I will use windows now for my XBMC it seems to work better, Thanks
Has anyone gotten pulse to work properly in Jaunty? I got everything working in Intrepid, and used pulse as my default output, and XBMC was playing just fine.

In Jaunty, I can get sound output from HDMI by setting HDMI as the default output, but pulse audio device chooser refuses to let me select HDMI as a sink. The option doesn't appear at all, only analog output.

Any ideas?
Pulse works perfectly well with XBMC and jaunty, I use it daily.

Pulse Audio does not however support digital passthrough, it's a known limitation and it might be true on digital pcm aswell, haven't ever tested to be sure.

This however aren't XBMC specific. If it works with paplay and not in XBMC it's worthy to discuss here, otherwise refer to distro specific forum or pulseaudio mailing list.

I'm closing this thread now, please open new threads when problems arise. Given that it works in paplayer but NOT in XBMC.

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Ubuntu PulseAudio Sound Issues0