• 4(current)
[LINUX] Ubuntu PulseAudio Sound Issues
Question 
so... in order for me to play video Huh correctly... i have to disable pulseaudio before i start xbmc.

however... all the other audio plays fine without pulseaudio...

why dont i just uninstall pulseaudio and be done with it!?

Huh
Has anyone got sound to work through XBMC with PulseAudio? I thought I would try it since something had broken with SPDIF output via ALSA.

All I've had is nightmares today getting PulseAudio working. No sounds play clicking through the menus, and my DVD ripped movies now come through as Dolby Digital - pretty sure they were something else before. Playback for most other media through XBMC is no longer working, e.g. HD DVB-T recordings with AAC/LATM and AC3 soundtracks.

From the log file there are a few logs about Input/Output error to the passthrough device. I think some of these issues are cropping up because PulseAudio does not support AC3 passthrough via SPDIF yet.

If anyone does have it working (including AC3 or any sort of surround sound playback), what settings are you using for your Audio Hardware in XBMC?

I'm running XFCE which posed some additional problems for getting PulseAudio to start.

Going back to ALSA for the moment, at least that has been working in the past.
Big Grin 
This work on 8.10

In teminal!!
#sudo rm /etc/X11/Xsession.d/70pulseaudio
#killall pulseaudio
#sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio
#sudo apt-get install esound

to see if its work type # alsamixer
Cool
I got latest svn 16760 and try to use "new" switch --disable-pulse.
XBMC still crashes when I try to play mp3 file.
I thought (probably wrong) that --disable-pulse will take care of pulse audio issues but apparently I still have to kill pulseaudio in order for xbmc to work correctly.
As other people already noticed AC3 and DTS movies works fine but playing mp3 locks xbmc if pulseaudio is in use. Also I think ( i don't know how to check that for sure) performance of xbmc(CPU usage) is much better when pulseaudio is in use and I play DTS movie versus killing pulseaudio and playing same movie. But maybe it is just my perception at 3am Big Grin.

Anyways pulseaudio -k before xbmc works OK for me so far.
Ubuntu8.10
That switch does the opposite of what you believe
--disable-pulse will disable SUPPORT for pulseaudio, it will disable our native pulseaudio integration.

if you don´t specify --disable-pulse it will enable pulseaudio support, so if you want to use XBMC and PulseAudio then you dont use that switch

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
After recompiling svn yesterday the last couple issues I was having with pulse are gone.

AKA no more sound/video bursts after a long pause. ^_^
where do you find the svn?
Here's all the info you need:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_compi...ource_code

If you have any previous builds of xbmc installed you will want to remove them prior to compiling/installing an svn build.
If you're not familiar with compiling software it's really quite easy, be sure to read the instructions and not just skim them.
hikaricore Wrote:After recompiling svn yesterday the last couple issues I was having with pulse are gone.

AKA no more sound/video bursts after a long pause. ^_^

Hmm... This made me think that I wouldn't have to worry about pulse issues anymore, but... I compiled from source today (build 17... something, didn't pay attention, jan 11/09 anyway) and I get crashes when ff'ing or pausing. If I sudo killall -9 pulseaudio, however, everything works just fine. Is there something else I need to do get the latest pulseaudio fixes working?
Did you install libpulse-dev?? I installed thew svn today aswell and it works.

Code:
sudo apt-get install libpulse-dev
Chrisleben Wrote:Did you install libpulse-dev?? I installed thew svn today aswell and it works.

Code:
sudo apt-get install libpulse-dev

Yep, that fixed it. Thanks Chrisleben!
fasteddy Wrote:Yep, that fixed it. Thanks Chrisleben!

No Problem Smile
are the analog surround sound issues resolved in the SVN version?
pulseaudio still doesn't work for me, with svn 17072.
kipfel Wrote:pulseaudio still doesn't work for me, with svn 17072.

Please provide fulldebug log on pastebin site, because we wont be likely to fix your issues with that much information you gave Wink
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Ubuntu PulseAudio Sound Issues0