• 5(current)
[LINUX] Ubuntu PulseAudio Sound Issues
Topfs2 Wrote:Please provide fulldebug log on pastebin site, because we wont be likely to fix your issues with that much information you gave Wink

http://pastebin.com/f3688a8b9

here you go!

I found a alsa error in the log, which is repeated several times:
ERROR: GetDelay - snd_pcm_delay, alsa error: -5 - Input/output error

don't know if it has anything to do with it?
For those who wants to send 5.1 audio to their spdif amp please follow this instruction:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=714712

Basically what it does is XBMC will decode the ac3/dts 5.1 audio to 6 channel pcm and send to the pulseaudio server.

On the pulseaudio server, the alsa will try to encode the 5.1 audio feed from pulseaudio into spdf (ac3) signal and pass it to the digital output on the server. So on the amp side you will always see the audio source to be ac3. The end quality may decrease due to the conversion involved, but it better to downmix to 2 channels.

It does not matter what the source is (let it be dts, ac3, or whatever the audio format it can play), from the XBMC's point of view the output device (pulseauido) is a capable of 6 channel pcm ouput.
i've complied and installed the latest svn on Intrepid with libpulse-dev. Now my computer doesn't freeze when i press FF or STOP but i have terrible sound delays in video files, even the menu sound is delayd. Any ideeas? Thx.
I just downloaded svn17369, but starting playback gave me the sound error.

Where do I find the log? I have a plain 8.10 setup. So this feature isn´t working out of the box?
kipfel Wrote:http://pastebin.com/f3688a8b9

here you go!

I found a alsa error in the log, which is repeated several times:
ERROR: GetDelay - snd_pcm_delay, alsa error: -5 - Input/output error

don't know if it has anything to do with it?

According to log pulseaudio audiorenderer is never opened, please make sure you have the latest apt-get line from readme (you must be missing libpulse something)

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
olavjunior Wrote:I just downloaded svn17369, but starting playback gave me the sound error.

Where do I find the log? I have a plain 8.10 setup. So this feature isn´t working out of the box?

Yes its supposed to do that on latest svn, read this sticky about logs and such

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Yes, now it works Smile Just installed some updates to pulse and a new svn of xbmc today, and now it works. (It won´t play sound through pulse if another app is using it though, like playing with amarok. But that isn´t really an issue)
I got XBMC working perfectly with PA just by compiling the latest SVN from source.

Installing the latest SVN .debs yielded the same *old* results (XBMC hangs when i fast forward and i get the most annoying sound output that won't go away unless i reboot).
but how stable is the SVN version? is that tested and does it keep the same quality as the release version?
OK, have got SVN from source (17558) and libpulse-dev installed. No updates available that I am aware of, but have still got the problem with on stopping a movie in xbmc it goes into a loop which can only be fixed via a reboot. Was there another step I may have missed?
Debug Log...

I had the same problem if I stopped or pause a video .. It will go into endless loop with audio .. Ubuntu 8.10 (32bit , latest svn) .. I recompiled with pluse audio off and it was fine.
I did it all again, and now pulse audio works even through all speakers (5.1). The prog just keeps getting better and better. Also my debug log and backtrace showed nothing with the audio freezing.
Its not always the actual freezing we want from the log but something prior to the freezing, thats why we always want log. better you let a developer say if it contained anything useful that yourself.

Anyways, glad to hear it works for you though.

Cheers,
Tobias

What is the best thing for me to do? I now have XBMC version 17770 and I've uninstalled pulseaudio and installed esound instead. It works, but somethings I get droppes, and I wonder if it can have something to do with this.

Ive read that PulseAudio works with XBMC again, is that right?

Is it is some way better for me to reinstall pulse audio, or shall I just leave it the way it is?

/Söder
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Ubuntu PulseAudio Sound Issues0