[Apple TV] Easier way to install Python on ATV
Just a thought: If you need python installed on the Apple TV to run XBMC plugins/scripts, shouldn't the installation of python be handled via ATV USB Creator?

I think it's a bit much to ask "n00bs" to install wget and binutils and whatnot just to get plugins going.

If you could just say "repatch the atv with the latest ATV USB Creator and you shall be golden" it would be great Big Grin
m_lopez_h Wrote:Ok, I've installed the binutils (I had to change the permissions on wget for the script to run) and am now stuck on the final part of the script. For some reason the pax command won't execute. Any thoughts?

pax: could not exec: Permission denied
pax: End of archive volume 1 reached
pax: Sorry, unable to determine archive format.
ln: /usr/bin/python: File exists
ln: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/: File exists
-bash-2.05b$
-bash-2.05b$

"Permission denied" is a BIG hint that you might need a "sudo" in front of you command Smile
A Milton Wrote:I think it's a bit much to ask "n00bs" to install wget and binutils and whatnot just to get plugins going.

If you could just say "repatch the atv with the latest ATV USB Creator and you shall be golden" it would be great Big Grin

I do recommend that binutils be installed along with xbmc/boxee install. It's a selection in atvusb-creator. BUT for some reason, most users will uncheck the binutils selection (defaulted to install).

You can make a new patchstick with just binutils selected but if you want to install a full blown python, that still needs to be done manually. AlTheKiller raised a good point with python. XBMC uses an internal build of python for the running of python scripts so you should NOT need to install python in order to run python scripts from inside XBMC.
So installing python should only be necessary for testing/development purposes? Not necessary for end users? That's not a problem then.

davilla Wrote:I do recommend that binutils be installed along with xbmc/boxee install. It's a selection in atvusb-creator. BUT for some reason, most users will uncheck the binutils selection (defaulted to install).

Is there a reason to have sshd and binutils selectable? Most (if not all) users probably want to have those installed any way, and you can solve the problem with users deselecting them by making them mandatory. Just my 2 cents.
A Milton Wrote:Is there a reason to have sshd and binutils selectable? Most (if not all) users probably want to have those installed any way, and you can solve the problem with users deselecting them by making them mandatory. Just my 2 cents.

User Choice Smile I do have them defaulted to selected so some users are manually de-selecting them. Not sure why.

ssh need to be selectable in case the AppleTV is already has sshd installed. ATVUSB-creator uses a standalone version of ssh (dropbear) and I'm not sure what will happen if both flavors are installed.

binutils, possible to hide that and auto-install. Over-writing these is not a problem.

They are not showing right now but there are many other packages planned for selection. ATVUSB-Creator is really targeted for general purpose AppleTV patchstick creation.
davilla Wrote:ssh need to be selectable in case the AppleTV is already has sshd installed. ATVUSB-creator uses a standalone version of ssh (dropbear) and I'm not sure what will happen if both flavors are installed.

Couldn't the installer script sense if sshd is already installed and skip that part if that is the case?

davilla Wrote:They are not showing right now but there are many other packages planned for selection. ATVUSB-Creator is really targeted for general purpose AppleTV patchstick creation.

Yes, I understand that, but sshd and binutils should always be of interest regardless of the purpose of the patchstick IMHO.

I just think that fewer options would be better when giving support. It's simpler to ask if someone used ATV USB Creator than to ask if they used ATV USB Creator with sshd, binutils and whatever enabled.

This is getting quite offtopic. Feel free to delete or move to separate thread. Maybe a separate thread would be useful.
dafranca Wrote:Open txt editor of choice, copy and paste the following link:
http://pastebin.com/m74e02a69
Save file.txt as txt (no rtf)
move file to appletv home folder on ATV.
ssh to the ATV.
execute:
sudo sh file.txt

I know all these threads are like from 2008, but the link you provided says invalid paste id...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Apple TV] Easier way to install Python on ATV0