Pulldown/correcting of Hz issue
Frist of all, thanks to all of you creating this outstanding MediaCenter!

I´ve searched the forums a bit and came across some people saying the (3:2 I guess) pulldown and such does not work properly in XBMC. I´ve tried this out a bit myself and I actually notice a pretty big amount of "hz-jumping" (stuttering?), mostly when playing HD-movies in 24Hz (h264 etc.), but also in 25/50Hz movies. My TV is set at 1280x720 since this was the only resolution it could display in 60Hz with picture proportions shown correctly.

When trying the same material in for example MediaPortal (with CoreAVC or ffdshow) everything plays smooth, or atleast as smooth as it can with the Hz not corresponding between the TV and the movie. But still, it´s definitly watchable. Which I sadly must say the same material in XBMC isn´t, due to the jumping which seemes to be kind of irregular - first a couple of frames that plays along nicely and then a small "jump", a few goog frames, jump and so on.

In MediaPortal with the external codecs described activated this "jumping" is much more regular, creating a much more smooth movment of the picture.

Am I perhaps doing something completely wrong with the settings? (Think I´ve tried most of them on or off etc.) Or is it in fact that xbmc does not handle pulldowns as good as the other codecs out there, and if so, is there any chanse this might be fixed i future versions of xbmc? I without a doubt think xbmc is way a head of alla other mediacenter softwares todag when it comes to design and compability. But as long as this pulldown problem (if it is indeed a real problem and not just something that I made up =)) exists I guess I have to stick to Windows and just drag drop files (to Mediplayer classic) or perhaps MediaPortal but I really don´t like messing around that much with all the codecs for everything... Bottom line, I would really like to use xbmc cause I think it´s great. But for now, I can´t.

Thanks
We don't actually do any frame duplication as pulldown. We could potentially start doing it, but (i even tested it awhile back). But I sortof doubt it will help too much.

Normally by just having good sync should be enough. I suspect that we don't have good enough sync thou.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thank you for the reply.

I´m not sure whether it actually is just the pulldown that makes other codecs play movies much smoother than xbmc, or if there is more factors involved. I however have done som testing (E8400@3Gh, 2GB DDR2, 8800GTS) and when using external players, like VLC, Media Player Classic (and home cinema) and even external codecs like ffdshow that does not implent hardware decoding but just like xbmc only uses the CPU, I´ve noticed that theese players make the movies run very smooth with almost no "jumping" etc.

When trying the same movies in xbmc (on the same computer of course) there actually is a noticeble amount of more "jumping"/stuttering in the picture. This is thou done on a 60Hz display, but even so. When other codecs/players is able to play the movies with no (at least not much of) jumping/stuttering you would think that xbmc could do the same.

I think, just from my subjective pov., that there actually isn´t any need to implent pulldown etc. in xbmc. The thing that I guess would naturaly solve this issue is the option of beeing able to use external codecs in xbmc, since there already is codecs out there that handles playback exceptionally.

Althou from the comments about this in the forum this does not seemes to be the most easy thing to do. Not 100% sure why, but I guess it has something to do with xbmc using a different ground? (opengl?) than most other codes/players. But I also understand that there is some testing on this issue? It would be really interesting to hear something about the progress that has been done, if there has been any.

Again, thanks for devloping this great software. I fully understand that you do this on your spare/private time and because of that development could take a while. But if hopes are given I´m more than willing to wait Smile

Thanks again

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pulldown/correcting of Hz issue0