HDMI no audio ONLY in xbmc
- I have Asus M3A78-EM Motherboard that have ATI HD3200 graphic card.
- I use HARDY HERON to xbmc (Intrepid has bugs with my ATI HD3200 card in fullscreen modes for xbmc). I enabled HDMI sound, umutting IEC958 device. In Preferences=>Sound, I test HDMI ATI, and there is sound by HDMI (at my HDTV). If I use rythmbox, totem, or any software that has sound playing, is listened by the HDTV speakers.
- The problem is only at XBMC. I use ppa xbmc packages for hardy. There is no sound inside xbmc.No sound effects, no sound for playing music, no sound in videos. If I choose in Sound Hardware DIGITAL or ANALOGIC there is no change.
- After this problem, I made some tests. This motherboard has 2 soundcard devices. The first primary soundcard, with common 6 outputs, and HDMI soundcard device. For tests, I disable first soundcard device. I start system, and only 1 device was. alsamixer shows me only HDMI audio, and Preferencies=> Sound too. But XBMC no sound. I choose at xbmc sound hardware options, digital and analogic too, and:
default sound device = default
passthrough = iec958
I try some combos => default/default, default/iec958, iec958/default, iec958/iec958... I try analogic, digital... inside xbmc.

Only xbmc is the problem, all apps and sounds works by hdmi, before disable first sound card and after.
What's the problem?
I had the same problem. This is what worked for me. Nothing else would, so maybe it's worth a try. Our setups sound similar...
I try this and works, but with problems.

- Sound works but with a lot of bugs. If I forward or rewind a video quickly, when video plays normal speed, sound is lost. I have to STOP and PLAY the movie to recover sound. I feel that sound doesn't work so well too because sound effects at GUI are retarded. My general feeling is that sounds doesn't reply so well.
- Video now is tearing. I use sync vertical on to all but is a bit tearing.

There is any solution?

A lot of problems with this HDMI motherboards in linux. Anyone can tell me his bad (or good experiences)? Windows is my sollution Big Grin?
Just a few recommendations based on things I have dealt with trying to get things up and working..

If pulseaudio is installed/operating it should probably be disabled in hopes that it will fix some audio interactivity problems. It often helps to go into the theme settings and disable the clicking noises on navigation too.

With the configuration that you tried out, I get working analog and digital audio in videos, but I cannot play mp3s at all. The GUI interface will be making noises but no sound files play, and debug logs just show the pcm channel unable to be opened:

ERROR: CreateStream - pcm_open, alsa error: Device or resource busy

I wonder if you have different results? Any ability to play mp3s or files out of the audio tab? I wish I could just specify an alsa HW string to xbmc and have it be used everywhere. ALSA:device=hw=0.3 works like a champ everywhere else...

Now on the screen tearing... First I'd make sure you are running xbmc & X at the native resolution of the panel you are trying to use. Secondly, ATI has been very bad in driver support in linux, and screen tearing has historically made their hardware unusably bad. That said, with the most recent driver revisions, and by using the amdccle application to turn the vsync slider up, I have seen much better performance. It sounds like you already tried that, though :/. You might want to check your OpenGL sync settings, This thread was useful for that. (try setting the ENV var and switching the setting within XBMC)

So I've got pretty much no tearing @720p now.. it's not perfect but it's now watchable. Once in a while playback gets jerky and the CPU is not maxed out, so I've got no idea what is causing that. What does your load look like on the box? FWIW, I'm running HDMI on an ATI Radeon HD 3450 vid card on a c2d system @ 2.3Ghz with 4GB ram on a 64b install.

If Windows otherwise fits your needs, XBMC on Windows will might be easier going at this point. Driver support is the best there, but there have been some great strides lately on the linux side too. XBMC runs much more smoothly on my appletv, but it cant run 720p mkvs due to the pitiful hardware.

HTH
Just wanted to greet JM.Black for his post since it solved my issue.

Sexus6, I personnaly don't have Pulseaudio installed, and I don't have any problem.

Thanks a lot guys.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI no audio ONLY in xbmc0