• 5(current)
VDPAU API for Linux released by NVIDIA today - GPU hardware accelerated video decoder
It seems MythTV just submitted patches for VDPAU support.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/my...055#359055
Looks like the kaffiene crew is gonna have at it too.

http://markmail.org/message/nyu3fouyfzja...te:results
Hi all,

Probably already discussed here, but it seems that nvidia have released Linux drivers that supports purevideo.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ar...dpau&num=1

Some performance results of the new drivers...
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ar...dpau&num=2

Probably install linux in ATV makes sense now in order to support high-profile/high-bitrate x264-720p content (obiviously using XBMC as frontend Wink.

What do you think? Sounds crazy??
ouch... no GeForce7 support. G8 or newer is required for VDPAU...
-
pko66 Wrote:-

You know, as a developer I have admin rights on this board, so I can see the history of your message. In addition, I'm subscribed to this thread so I get an e-mail with the original message contents.

All that being said, you're probably right, I did jump to conclusions kind of fast. I've seen at least one person on the team actively thinking about this API.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Is there a timetable for support of HA (hardware acceleration) for playing 720/1080 P video. Offloading this (h264 decode et al) to the processor is making my solution of migrating from the XBOX to an HTPC (so I can play high res mkv files) uncertain.

Currently I use the PS3 for HD quality content but it's no where near as nice as XBMC and I'm not thrilled about XP-Media center edition...
Question 
GreekGeek Wrote:Is there a timetable for support of HA (hardware acceleration) for playing 720/1080 P video. Offloading this (h264 decode et al) to the processor is making my solution of migrating from the XBOX to an HTPC (so I can play high res mkv files) uncertain.

Currently I use the PS3 for HD quality content but it's no where near as nice as XBMC and I'm not thrilled about XP-Media center edition...

I am running XBMC on a HTPC with an ATI dual monitor graphics card. Initial tests of 720P MKV files have played back flawlessly. I have my 1920x1200 monitor as a primary display and an extended desktop for my projector (1280x720) and all other video applications allow me to send my videostream as an overlay to the projector. Does anyone know if sending the video as an overlay to the secondary output is possible with XBMC? This would be the most important feature for me.

JiveTalker
Jive talkin, just isnt a crime
GreekGeek Wrote:Is there a timetable for support of HA (hardware acceleration) for playing 720/1080 P video. Offloading this (h264 decode et al) to the processor is making my solution of migrating from the XBOX to an HTPC (so I can play high res mkv files) uncertain.

It's not up to the XBMC folks to implement this. This is down to the ffmpeg guys.... For a timetable hit them up.
Well I just got my nVidia 9400 and installed the VDPAU driver and mplayer patches. I'm both overwhelmed at how little CPU power it takes to play my 720p x264 encodes (1%) and underwhelmed at what a poor job of rendering it does (frames presented out of order, terrible blockyness on some content). The majority of my content it just bails out when either creating the decoder or presenting the first frame.

So it looks like we have some time to work on it while nvidia gets the kinks out.
cold_realms Wrote:It's not up to the XBMC folks to implement this. This is down to the ffmpeg guys.... For a timetable hit them up.

there is an xbmc developer working on hardware acceleration as a GSoC project and there is a topic in the linux dev forum, but don't ask for any updates there because they will rip your head off....No
edit: nevermind, i'm stupid.
For anyone playing with this right now, the out of order frames is a known issue that is being worked on "temporal misordering of frames". Also, even though the profiles should support it, the driver is limited to *4* reference frames at any resolution. If you try to play something with more, it will play until the point the 5th frame is referenced regardless of how many decoded playback buffer surfaces you have allocated.

Who is in charge of xbmc's ffmpeg syncs btw?
CapnBry Wrote:Who is in charge of xbmc's ffmpeg syncs btw?

Browsing AreaScout's branch might give you a clue... Wink

TheUni
Aha, thanks!
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VDPAU API for Linux released by NVIDIA today - GPU hardware accelerated video decoder3