• 28(current)
VDPAU API for Linux released by NVIDIA today - GPU hardware accelerated video decoder
phrehdd Wrote:As one of the few interested in the Mac Mini 4gig RAM combo, if I am reading the posts correctly -

XBMC/Live should be able to run on the Mac Mini
XBMC normally requires 512mb RAM for the 9400M to normally offload to the GPU
XBMC might offload to the GPU though the Mac Mini only provides 256mb for vid.

Linux might see all 512mb that should be available on the Mac Mini "as is."
Linux may be stymied by Apple's EFI and only get 256mb allocated to video.
Small possibility that OSX plist is hard set for up to 256mb but may be editable.

Am I missing anything here? Is it possible to tamper with Apple's EFI?

Thanks

- Phrehdd

Hehe, yes. Two posts below, 4GB ram gives 512MBs of vram under Linux. Sounds like a winner to me.
davilla Wrote:Hehe, yes. Two posts below, 4GB ram gives 512MBs of vram under Linux. Sounds like a winner to me.

Gee now I have to undo my Plex know-how and dig in deep into XBMC/Ubuntu and make the plunge.

Oh how I suffer <G>

- Phrehdd
Sorry for being such a noob, but does this mean that if I followed the guide posted by olympia, I still have to start over and install this VDPAU version as per motd2k's command lines?

Again, I apologize for this but I am completely oblivious to Linux and was wondering if I could somehow integrate this awesome feature with my already working build of XBMC.

Edit: I got this VDPAU version running. However, when I try to play 1080p files, I get jerky video, way worse than before although the core load is now significantly less on both CPUs. I'm running Intrepid and am probably gonna revert to the previous non-VDPAU version of XBMC I had which didn't have perfect 1080p performance but better than this. I know I'm missing something, but..
I get this error when trying to compile (I have tried make -j5 (which skips this error and only gives an error when xbmc.bin isn't available at the end when doing make install) and "make distclean&&make", same error:

g++ -MD -c -O2 -g -D_DEBUG -Wall -O2 -g -D_DEBUG -Wall -D_LINUX -D_FILE_DEFINED -D_REENTRANT -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DINSTALL_PATH="\"/usr/local/share/xbmc\"" -DHAS_SDL_JOYSTICK -DHAS_XRANDR -DHAS_PCRE -D'SVN_REV="18554"' -DDLL_PATH_LIBCURL="\"/usr/lib/libcurl.so\"" -I. -I../../ -I../../../ffmpeg -I../../../../ -I../../../../linux -I../../../../../guilib -DDBUS_API_SUBJECT_TO_CHANGE -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib/dbus-1.0/include -I/usr/include/hal -DHAS_PULSEAUDIO DVDVideoCodecFFmpegVDPAU.cpp -o DVDVideoCodecFFmpegVDPAU.o
DVDVideoCodecFFmpegVDPAU.cpp: In member function âint CDVDVideoCodecVDPAU::ConfigVDPAU(AVCodecContext*)â:
DVDVideoCodecFFmpegVDPAU.cpp:627: error: invalid conversion from âuint32_tâ to âVdpDecoder*â
DVDVideoCodecFFmpegVDPAU.cpp:627: error: too many arguments to function
DVDVideoCodecFFmpegVDPAU.cpp:632: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions
DVDVideoCodecFFmpegVDPAU.cpp:645: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions
DVDVideoCodecFFmpegVDPAU.cpp: In member function âvoid CDVDVideoCodecVDPAU::SpewHardwareAvailable()â:
DVDVideoCodecFFmpegVDPAU.cpp:712: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions
DVDVideoCodecFFmpegVDPAU.cpp: In member function âvdpau_render_state* CDVDVideoCodecVDPAU::FindFreeSurface()â:
DVDVideoCodecFFmpegVDPAU.cpp:746: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions
DVDVideoCodecFFmpegVDPAU.cpp: In member function âvoid CDVDVideoCodecVDPAU:TonguerePresent(AVCodecContext*, AVFrame*)â:
DVDVideoCodecFFmpegVDPAU.cpp:877: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions
DVDVideoCodecFFmpegVDPAU.cpp:878: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions
DVDVideoCodecFFmpegVDPAU.cpp:886: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions
DVDVideoCodecFFmpegVDPAU.cpp:890: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions
make[3]: *** [DVDVideoCodecFFmpegVDPAU.o] Error 1

This is on freshly installed and updated Ubuntu 8.10, ubuntu nvidia 180 drivers and then installing everything found in README.linux (which isn't ok anymore, two of the libs won't install with the instructions found there, you have to specify their exact versions).
For starters nvidia 1.80 won't be new enough. I haven't been having issues but then I don't know what version you pulled either. You may wish to read this -> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34655 and perhaps post here -> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=45525
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Going to lock this cos i'm too lazy to check both threads.

Here for continuation please... http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=45525

motd
  • 28(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VDPAU API for Linux released by NVIDIA today - GPU hardware accelerated video decoder3