what platform to choose ....
I've been running xbmc on my old xbox for a few years now, but the time has come and I'm looking for a new platform. I guess my question is what platform to choose , Windows or Linux ? Is one platform more mature/stable then the other, or is it as stable as the machine it is running on? (The hardware I'll be using is a X-Fi Xtreme Music and a nvidia 7600)

/A
I would say both the Linux and Windows releases are pretty equal. Granted I use XBMC more often on Windows than on my Linux install but that is my experience anyway. Depends greatly on what version of Windows you would be running though. My htpc came with Vista and as I was browsing my library with fanart enabled and everything I was quite dissapointed in the performance. As I was thinking about installing XP on it anyway, I did and the performance went up drastically while I used equally new drivers in both cases. So now I run it on XP and it works quite perfectly really. Although I have to say it's running my own tweaked XP install (nLite).
But if you're comfortable running it on Linux Ubuntu would be a good choice as well. Or of course XBMC Live if you have compatible hardware.

Also, this could be of future interest with regards to choosing between platforms:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=40362
thanks
Well I'm running ubuntu as primary os on all other machines I have, so thats not a big issue. The new VDPAU release looks very promising. Let's now hope we can see some new improvements on the alsa driver for X-Fi card, was hoping to use that as the pre-amp.
/A

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
what platform to choose ....0