Ubuntu 8.10, Atlantis: video fast, slow, fast, crash
I have been using xbmc on mac and windows for a while now but I want to build a Linux box to replace my Vista HTPC.

The system is a gateway gt 5404 (core2duo, 2 gb ram, ati x600 pcie). I installed Ubuntu 8.10 x64 yesterday and all went well. I got xbmc installed and all setup.

Every movie I have is iPod compatible and they don't play right on this build.
They start playing fine and then all of a sudden the sound goes out and the video starts playing double speed. That comes and goes throughout the movie as long as it doesn't crash. They play just fine on atlantis for Mac/Win and even on the LiveCD.

I tried installing the LiveCD to a Flash and to a HDD but neither would boot.

So now i'm stuck. From what i've read I first thought that it was PCM but i'm not sure if i'm using it, I don't have the config files for it in /etc.

Any ideas?
Metropolis Wrote:I have been using xbmc on mac and windows for a while now but I want to build a Linux box to replace my Vista HTPC.

The system is a gateway gt 5404 (core2duo, 2 gb ram, ati x600 pcie). I installed Ubuntu 8.10 x64 yesterday and all went well. I got xbmc installed and all setup.

Every movie I have is iPod compatible and they don't play right on this build.
They start playing fine and then all of a sudden the sound goes out and the video starts playing double speed. That comes and goes throughout the movie as long as it doesn't crash. They play just fine on atlantis for Mac/Win and even on the LiveCD.

I tried installing the LiveCD to a Flash and to a HDD but neither would boot.

So now i'm stuck. From what i've read I first thought that it was PCM but i'm not sure if i'm using it, I don't have the config files for it in /etc.

Any ideas?

Sounds like the same Pulseaudio issues everyone else is having with 8.10, look at the other threads on this.
Yep mate same problem I got myself too! You have to remove pulseaudio or kill it before launching xbmc.
Might want to move to 32bit Ubuntu as well.
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
I updated my 7.10 version to the latest XBMC last night and my on board sound appears to of blown. Worked fine before update and now no soundcard is recognised in my system.
Tired fresh install and no luck then tried running live cd of ubuntu but but no sound cards found now.
Any ideas or is it blown??
still learning linux, | Eve Media Box Case | Abit I-N73HD Motherboard | 2gb Ram | 8gb usb drive | xbmc live | 4tb Linux server |- Second box - XBMC live | GA-81915PM motherboard | 2gb Ram | Gainward 8400GS 512MB HDMI | 2.5" 60gb hard drive |Cheap MCE remote | Tvheadend server | Raspberry Pi | Acer Revo | Zotac ION

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu 8.10, Atlantis: video fast, slow, fast, crash0