• 9(current)
[AppleTV] XBMC ATV Patchstick Creator for Windows released
I've read so much that my brain now hurts. Can someone please explain simply what the process is to create a patchstick via Windows for the AppleTV so that I can SSH in and install XBMC?

I've tried atv-win-2.0 exe which created some image on my laptop, not sure what I'm suppose to do with the image. Am I to simply copy it to a USB thumb drive and plug it into ATV? I've SSH'd into my iPhone in the past and don't have a problem with CMD line prompts, just not sure what the heck to do here.

Thanks.
288enzo Wrote:I've read so much that my brain now hurts. Can someone please explain simply what the process is to create a patchstick via Windows for the AppleTV so that I can SSH in and install XBMC?

I've tried atv-win-2.0 exe which created some image on my laptop, not sure what I'm suppose to do with the image. Am I to simply copy it to a USB thumb drive and plug it into ATV? I've SSH'd into my iPhone in the past and don't have a problem with CMD line prompts, just not sure what the heck to do here.

Thanks.

The instructions say to use the application "Usb Image Tool" to copy the disk image to the patchstick. You did read the readme.txt ?
I just got my Apple TV in and ready to install XBMC. However, I have couple questions before I do that.

I've read somewhere that Davilla mentioned that there is a "faster" method of installing XBMC on ATV. Can someone direct me to that method? Though I'm new to the Mac/XBMC thing, but not really slow with these stuffs.

Thanks a lot Smile
kayo Wrote:I just got my Apple TV in and ready to install XBMC. However, I have couple questions before I do that.

I've read somewhere that Davilla mentioned that there is a "faster" method of installing XBMC on ATV. Can someone direct me to that method? Though I'm new to the Mac/XBMC thing, but not really slow with these stuffs.

Thanks a lot Smile

faster than what ?
davilla Wrote:faster than what ?

NVM, I think I remembered it wrong. It just that I remembered somewhere you mentioned that the patchstick method isn't the fastest method, but I'm not sure if that's what it meant or I could've interpreted the wrong way :o
hi all, noob here, i have got XBMC all installed on the ATV by following the instructions above. the only thing i can't do now is see the media on my mac via xbmc ... how do i link the two (mac & ATV) so that i can browse the mac via ATV and stream my content ... many thanks in advance!
Does anybody know if there is a Apple Patchstick Creator for firmware version 3.0.1??
Or perhaps how to downgrade from 3.0.1 to 2.4??
Yes. I have just released atv-win-3.0. The latest download from http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator will fully support it.

Smile
Hi!

Does the newest patchstick creator v3 for windows also makes the light on ATV flash white and not orange blinking?

Cheers
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but this still seems to be the only way of trying to restore the original ATV OS.

I've used the Apple TV Patchstick Creator 3.0 to create a 3.0.1 patchstick, and rebooted my ATV with the stick inserted.

This is what I get.
Just tried a second USB drive, and the same problem occurs.

So that's an 8gb San Disk Edge, and an 8gb PNY Attache Optima.
Hi. new to this, been asked to jailbreak an apple tv 1g.
Created the patchstick ok, took a few tries ..
Followed instructions to load patchstick on atv.
It goes through the motions i.e you see all the code being inputted and it finishes .
I assume it does not reboot of its own accord..
I then remove usb stick.
Note I cannot get atv to reboot using menu + "-" not matter how long i hold the buttons Huh
I then pulled power plug out and waited then reinserted.. it just boots up on the old system.

It appears I'm doing everything right but obviously something is amiss.
I don't have enough knowledge of the atv and mac to understand whats happening .
Done this on WIN7 64bit by the way..

Also used atv-win-3.0

Any help would be gratefully recieved if this forum is still active.

Paul.
Thats a very old way of getting XBMC on to the ATV.

OpenELEC / Kodi 15.1 is now installable on the ATV1. It will wipe the Apple Frontrow OS completely.
Works well Smile

http://chewitt.openelec.tv/appletv/
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Main_Page

There is another Kodi distribution - OSMC which will be released for the ATV1 shortly:
https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/progress-at-last/8689

HI wrxtasy.. thanks for this info..
Downloaded the files and created a usb, which loaded first time om my atv.
Many thanks.. all i got to do now is work out how to set it up now ?

many thanks

Oaul
Please make a new thread for ATV1 help with Linux OSes, since this is a mac-specific thread.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] XBMC ATV Patchstick Creator for Windows released1