• 8(current)
[AppleTV] XBMC ATV Patchstick Creator for Windows released
I just made a patchstick using atv-win 2.0 but when I run the patchstick on the atv it says
Quote:unable to unmonunt /mnt/rootfs: invalid argument
patchstick failed -- starting telnetd
something v1.9.1) started
discover...
discover...
discover...
failing
Link encap: Ethernet HWaddr
<more stuff>

Link encap:Local Loopback
<more suff>
Then it does nothing. Anyone got any suggestions?
Edit: Now my apple tv won't even boot...whoops. Also, this thumb drive is the same one I used in the past. I was using a different laptop back then to make the patchstick. I'm on my new Dell with XP SP3 is that makes any difference.
xeonicxpression Wrote:I just made a patchstick using atv-win 2.0 but when I run the patchstick on the atv it says
Then it does nothing. Anyone got any suggestions?
Edit: Now my apple tv won't even boot...whoops. Also, this thumb drive is the same one I used in the past. I was using a different laptop back then to make the patchstick. I'm on my new Dell with XP SP3 is that makes any difference.

The part before this was the important part. What did it report?

Quote:unable to unmonunt /mnt/rootfs: invalid argument
Registered protocol family 1
Registered protocol family 17
Registered udp transport module
Reistered tcp transport module
<something>sh tables configured (estabileshed 8192 bind 1684)
<something> shortcut mode
unused kernel memory: 268k freed
Started: Busybox v 1.9.1 (2008-05-19 20:9:14 EDT)
patchstick -- searching for patchstick.sh
cannot unmount /mnt/rootfs: Invailid argument
xeonicxpression Wrote:Registered protocol family 1
Registered protocol family 17
Registered udp transport module
Reistered tcp transport module
<something>sh tables configured (estabileshed 8192 bind 1684)
<something> shortcut mode
unused kernel memory: 268k freed
Started: Busybox v 1.9.1 (2008-05-19 20:9:14 EDT)
patchstick -- searching for patchstick.sh
cannot unmount /mnt/rootfs: Invailid argument

Humm, I would say to try another brand flash drive. You say you have used this one before? With what patchstick?

Also that you ATV will not boot now, very strange as the patchstick failed before it could start doing anything.
I can't remember which version. I know it worked on the very first windows version you made. I believe I even used it on the first, or very early, version on mac. I've used it on 3 different version though I believe.

The only thing I did before I tried the patchstick was upgrade to 2.4. it rebooted and worked fine. I tried two other sticks. One wouldn't boot and the other I get the same thing.
Could the apple tv hard drive be dead? When I was plugging the power back in after plugging the patchstick in the power connector kind of sparked. That wasn't real comforting, lol. Maybe something fried inside?
xeonicxpression Wrote:Could the apple tv hard drive be dead? When I was plugging the power back in after plugging the patchstick in the power connector kind of sparked. That wasn't real comforting, lol. Maybe something fried inside?

Nah, they always do that. You tried forcing a recovery boot using the IR controller ?
I did a forced recovery via the controller and that got it booting again. I redid the patchstick, even switched to the beta 12 version and I still get the same error message. It failed the patchstick switches to telnetd then shows me a login and just sits there. I pulled the power after letting it sit for awhile. When I tried to start it up without the patchstick again the apple tv wouldn't boot again. Any other ideas?
xeonicxpression Wrote:I did a forced recovery via the controller and that got it booting again. I redid the patchstick, even switched to the beta 12 version and I still get the same error message. It failed the patchstick switches to telnetd then shows me a login and just sits there. I pulled the power after letting it sit for awhile. When I tried to start it up without the patchstick again the apple tv wouldn't boot again. Any other ideas?

telnet in and try it manually. you will need a wired connection to do this, wireless will not work. otherwise... try another brand flash drive.
is there a guide anywhere on how to do it manually? I checked the Wiki, but didn't see anything. Didn't see anything in the stickies either.
xeonicxpression Wrote:is there a guide anywhere on how to do it manually? I checked the Wiki, but didn't see anything. Didn't see anything in the stickies either.

mount the second partition on the flash drive to /mnt/flashfs, run patchstick.sh. Should take care of everything.
Edit: Not needed
NEVER MIND! So I didn't realize USB Image Tool had to be on device mode and not volume mode. Worked fine now. It was set to volume mode by default I think. My bad...
xeonicxpression Wrote:Ok not having a lot of luck here. I'm telneted in and logged in as root root. I did fdisk -l and got
Code:
isk /dev/sda: 40.0 GB, 40007761920 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4864 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System
/dev/sda1               1        4864    39070076  ee EFI GPT

Disk /dev/sdb: 4007 MB, 4007657472 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 487 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System
/dev/sdb1               1         488     3913696+  c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
     phys=(486, 254, 63) logical=(487, 60, 21)
I did a mkdir /mnt/flashfs

I don't get what I'm supposed to be mounting though.
I tried:
mount /dev/sdb /mnt/flashfs

and
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/flashfs

both give me mounting /dev/sdb (or sdb1) on /mnt/flashfs failed: Invalid argument.

Are either of those the right partitions? Am I doing something wrong?

That's the same error I'm getting with the patchstick. Is it not getting created propperly? I'm just running the atv-win-2.0.exe. Having it download 2.4 and create a patchstick.img file. Then USB Image Tool fires up. I select the thumb drive and hit restore then select patchstick.img. Done deal right?

something not correct, "ls /dev/sd*" and post the results.

don't use fdisk, use parted. fdisk does not understand GPT disk format.
Thanks for your help Davilla. I feel like a total noob right now.No Oh well, atleast it's working again.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] XBMC ATV Patchstick Creator for Windows released1