• 3(current)
[AppleTV] XBMC ATV Patchstick Creator for Windows released
How do we turn the thumb drive into a normal drive again? I tried to right click on it in windows and select format, but it says the drive is 19.5k, so I didn't do it.

Edit: I should probably clarify. I made it into a patch stick, this was on a mac though, and now want to turn it back into a normal thumb drive.
http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197
XBMC4Ever Wrote:I must chime in on the negative side.
Tried this on 2 different systems so far with 3 different USB sticks.
Everything works fine until I attempt to restore the img file back to a USB stick. The Restore progress bar only gets to 2 bars each time, then it stops and the program resets as if it had just been launched.

Suggestions ?

******* EDIT *******

No idea why ... but the GUI approach did not cooperate completely .. but the command line version of USB Image Tool did.
I retract and now state that my Windows USB stick is good and a nuke 'n pave on my ATV 2.2 is now running XBMC Atlantis due to the new Windows USB stick Smile

Im having the same problem!! i've tried 2 different flash drives and 3 different computers. BUT none of them will let me run the CMD version of USB Image tool... ANY help would be great this is a christmas present i was planning to have set up and ready for the morning!! thanks in advance~! JOHN
I'm a newb and having what I think are issues. I have created the thumb drive, loaded it onto the ATV and now see the options for Boxee and for XBMC. When I go to select one of them, the screen goes black and seems to do nothing. I can hit menu to get back out of the black screen and to the main menu, but nothing has changed. Is this the point that it is supposed to download the actual XBMC or is this it? Confused...Thanks for any help in advance.
That happens to me if I have 2.3 loaded on the atv. If I use the patchstick on 2.2 it works as it should. Perhaps if the patchstick installed a loader higher than 0.8? Then again I really dont know what I'm talking about Smile
Quote:Black Screen
I'm a newb and having what I think are issues. I have created the thumb drive, loaded it onto the ATV and now see the options for Boxee and for XBMC. When I go to select one of them, the screen goes black and seems to do nothing. I can hit menu to get back out of the black screen and to the main menu, but nothing has changed. Is this the point that it is supposed to download the actual XBMC or is this it? Confused...Thanks for any help in advance.

I am having same problem, new ATV came with 2.3

Thanks
jbwash Wrote:I am having same problem, new ATV came with 2.3

Thanks

For some reason .8 will not successfully launch XBMC. You get the black screen. Just use Launcher 2.2 . It works on my ATV 2.3 .

pmcd
For those of you using the USB Image Tool, and experiencing a crash after two bars...

I had this same issue, then found a post on the opensource forum. It turns out that the process was a success, despite the crashing of the tool.

Give that USB a try, boot to it just like advised. If it was not a success, it shouldn't be bootable (and you shouldn't do any harm). Remember, you won't see anything on the drive, it's not an NTFS formatted disk any longer.

So your solution is simply to ignore the crash, in simplest terms. Worked for me, and I tested twice to be sure, before posting this.
pmcd Wrote:For some reason .8 will not successfully launch XBMC. You get the black screen. Just use Launcher 2.2 . It works on my ATV 2.3 .

pmcd

How would I be able to switch from Launcher 2.2 versus Launcher 2.3? I am getting a blank screen. I just used the scripted and put everything on my usb stick. . .
chartrapp Wrote:How would I be able to switch from Launcher 2.2 versus Launcher 2.3? I am getting a blank screen. I just used the scripted and put everything on my usb stick. . .

update to Launcher 0.9 or Launcher 2.3. see the announce thread for details.
process created a boot disk (YAY) it works enough to get to the "starting Linux" prompt. Stays there for a good bit of time (over 5 minutes). Not really sure if this is normal or not. Just wanted to get some feedback before I either leave this running for longer, or try to reimage the USB drive.

edit: Left the drive running for 30 minutes at a time pre and post apple software update. The boot stops on "starting Linux..." (exact number of ellipses).

There are no error messages proceeding this.

Any suggestions, or should I just go ahead, clear the drive and try again?
umm - so i just accidentally updated my ATV to 2.3.1 (it asked me so many times i was bound to his yes by accident)...so trying to reinstall xbmc/boxee now. i've extracted all the files via the cmd prompt and am now running the USB image tool. is the file i want on the usb drive the boot.inf? it feels like ages ago that i figured this out originally -

thank you. as i recall i just put the file on the usb drive, stick that into the back of the atv when it is unpluged and then power it up. correct? thanks.

oh. xp Sp3
ptorres Wrote:umm - so i just accidentally updated my ATV to 2.3.1 (it asked me so many times i was bound to his yes by accident)...so trying to reinstall xbmc/boxee now. i've extracted all the files via the cmd prompt and am now running the USB image tool. is the file i want on the usb drive the boot.inf? it feels like ages ago that i figured this out originally -

thank you. as i recall i just put the file on the usb drive, stick that into the back of the atv when it is unpluged and then power it up. correct? thanks.

oh. xp Sp3

I suggest reading the README.txt file. It's there for this exact reasion.
Davilla - I have been following the Readme file closely.

this is the section I'm hung at:

Run either batch file and it will download, extract and inject boot.efi
into the disk image. Everything will be automatically done so you don't
need to manually extract or download anything.

Once the disk image is created, use "USB Image Tool" to do the actual
copy to USB flash drive. Run "USB Image Tool", switch from "Volume Mode"
to "Device Mode". Select your USB flash drive then select the disk image
using the "Restore" button. This tool does work in Vista but will need to
be run as administrator. To do this right-click on "USB Image Tool.exe"
then select "run as administrator".

I ran the mk-atv-xbmc-ssh.bat in cmd and everything seemed to go just fine. so then got to the USB Image Tool section and (having now tried three diff brands of sticks) follow the instructions of switching to device mode, selecting the right drive and then hitting restore - it asks me to copy the image file. there are no image files to select - so i try to "restore" the boot.inf mentioned above. Is the 2Z694-5499.DMG file what I need to put on the USB drive? I see on the web that DMG this is the new MAC extension for image files.

Well - just tried that and it failed - could not write to the USB device (error 87). its a usb stick listed in the XBMC pages as compatible (Sandisk cruzer micro 512MB)

Any suggestions. Did the step preceeding this in the cmd prompt not go as expected or am I doing something wrong in using the USB Image Tool?

Many thanks - really, trying to follow the instructions to a T.
copy/paste the output of the bat file to a pastebin site and post the URL here.

do a dir in the directory that you are running the bat file and copy/paste the output to a pastebin site and post the URL here.

I need to see what you are seeing.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] XBMC ATV Patchstick Creator for Windows released1