[MAC] Third-party regular SVN builds for Mac OS X and Apple TV?
Question 
Similar to this thread in the Windows XBMC area:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=35452

I was curious to know if anyone was aware if any turbo keeners out there are compiling and posting SVN builds of XBMC for ATV/MAC on a regular basis.

During my time with XBMC on the classic XBox, I was spoiled by the T3CH releases every 2 weeks (which I installed religously). Hence my query about accomplishing the same on the ATV/MAC platform.

And yes .. before you ask or make the statement ... I "go geek" on a lot of keen things like this on a regular basis. That said, I am sure others might enjoy staying current with the SVN builds as well.

As always, insight and feedback is truly appreciated Nerd
Anyone is more than welcome. I think there needs to be a little bit of clarification on exactly what is needed to package it up successfully so that it runs on all platforms.

Perhaps d4rk or davilla could document the steps required. Once documented, practically anyone with an intel mac can build it for others.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

A guide of that nature would be awesome if someone with that knowledge had the time to create such a DIY document ... Nod
jmarshall Wrote:Perhaps d4rk or davilla could document the steps required. Once documented, practically anyone with an intel mac can build it for others.

Cheers,
Jonathan

The readme for building osx is pretty good. It's missing some steps about building all the libraries. Packaging is easer now, there is none Smile I thing dr4k has an automated step to make the dmg. I need to sync with him and get updated on the build to release step. I also remember him saying something about automated builds.

And of course, I have a plan to re-work the xcode project to better handle the libraries. And another plan to get the Makefile build working. Possibly doing the libraries in the Makefile would be best. Still thinking about this.
Whilst you be thinking about all of this Mr Davilla, please keep the potential of another WINDBLOWS option in the back of your head. Rofl
Mooks like me without a handy Apple platform would love XBMC.app in an XBMC.zip that we can easily drop into place on the ATV via SSH/SCP. Hopefully the theory sounds easier than making a new XBMCLauncher every time there is a new SVN build since I am sure that every time a newer build surfaces us geeks will have anxiety attacks until we install it. Nerd
Cheers dude ! Big Grin
XBMC4Ever Wrote:Whilst you be thinking about all of this Mr Davilla, please keep the potential of another WINDBLOWS option in the back of your head. Rofl
Mooks like me without a handy Apple platform would love XBMC.app in an XBMC.zip that we can easily drop into place on the ATV via SSH/SCP. Hopefully the theory sounds easier than making a new XBMCLauncher every time there is a new SVN build since I am sure that every time a newer build surfaces us geeks will have anxiety attacks until we install it. Nerd
Cheers dude ! Big Grin

That's not going to work as /Applications is owned by root:wheel so you will not be able to ssh/scp directly into place. The way I have done appletv test versions is to create a XBMC.zip that is scp'ed into /Users/frontrow, then ssh in for the extract and sudo mv to /Applications. Doing a dmg is similar with mount/sudo cp/unmount operation.

For "nightly" builds, it would be a dmg or zip. XBMCLauncher is only to know about the stable and tagged releases less great confusion abound Smile
No worries .. I'm easy.
My vote is simply for a way for regular SVN builds to be slipped into the ATV without the use of another OSX system.
Cool
XBMC4Ever Wrote:No worries .. I'm easy.
My vote is simply for a way for regular SVN builds to be slipped into the ATV without the use of another OSX system.
Cool

"without the use of another OSX system" absolutely Smile
I would be willing to donate my macbook pro computer time once a week to compile the builds if I can get the information to do this, as dav said there were some changes to the wiki that needed to be changed.
+1 for this

I would love to have svn updates for ATV
GrimSage Wrote:I would be willing to donate my macbook pro computer time once a week to compile the builds if I can get the information to do this, as dav said there were some changes to the wiki that needed to be changed.
You can install GCC compiller on ATV... I just compiled a program on ATV to install the GCC compiler.

Usage:
1) Open SSH connection
2) type: wget http://dafranca.fortunecity.com/GCC-ATV.cgi
3) type: chmod 755 GCC-ATV.cgi
4) type: sudo GCC.ATV.cgi

you will need 28% free space on /dev/disk0s3 (I will reduce this in the future)

to find out how much free space you have type: df

Hope it works for you...
Sounds geeked out enough for me Smile
So just to clarify, this GCC thing of yours will compile the SVN content for MAC ?
If so, can the GCC run on an Intel MAC with OS X 10.4.8 ?
What folder are we to snag from SVN to accomplish all this kewl stuff ?
Many thanks for your efforts !!
XBMC4Ever Wrote:Sounds geeked out enough for me Smile
So just to clarify, this GCC thing of yours will compile the SVN content for MAC ?
If so, can the GCC run on an Intel MAC with OS X 10.4.8 ?
What folder are we to snag from SVN to accomplish all this kewl stuff ?
Many thanks for your efforts !!

GCC by itself is not enough to be able to compile XBMC for Mac, you need XCode which is actually a frontend to GCC. You need XCode to link with the required OSX 10.4 sdk system libraries. So if you want to compile XBMC for Mac, install XCode (it's free by the way), check out from svn, follow the readme and have fun.

GCC by itself will let you compile and run c/c++ applications that do not require linkage to OSX 10.4 sdk system libraries.

And before anyone starts with XCode under the AppleTV, it's not trival, XCode tools uses SSE3 instructions which are not present on the CPU of the AppleTV. There is an SSE3 emulator, thanks to Turbo, but it's not for novices.
Davilla,

Davilla with the right dependencies from xcode I am able to compile all my c code on ATV, but when I tried to compile gnu curl I got into same errors...
The real think on xcode installer will not install on SSE2 architecture, but manualy it will install. It will be limited, but we force can sse2 to be used for compiling.

I will run same more tests.
dafranca Wrote:Davilla,

Davilla with the right dependencies from xcode I am able to compile all my c code on ATV, but when I tried to compile gnu curl I got into same errors...
The real think on xcode installer will not install on SSE2 architecture, but manualy it will install. It will be limited, but we force can sse2 to be used for compiling.

I will run same more tests.

See this URL for an SSE3 emulator for the AppleTV

http://0xfeedbeef.com/appletv/ -> AppleTV Enabler

Also you post below just mentions "You can install GCC compiller on ATV.". This implies it's only gcc. But your post on the awkwardtv forums says more and looks like it's manual install of XCode. This makes compiling XBMC for Mac more of a possibility. Don't forget the MacPort libs, there is a package at sf or one can just install MacPorts.

http://forum.awkwardtv.org/viewtopic.php...62e4372b43

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] Third-party regular SVN builds for Mac OS X and Apple TV?0