Plex Media Server Client in XBMC - Have XBMC support for Plex PMS protocol plex:// ?
There's a couple other threads you may wish to checkout. There's nothing stopping it being done (as a plugin) and I've already stated that I'd be more than willing to provide pointers etc. for a plugin author should they decide to take it on. I believe Elan from Plex has also offered his services in a similar role.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Indeed and as long as your plugin set the right content types it would fit the current library views fine. One could even set up direct homepage links to the various sections if you edited the skin a little.
So as jmarshall says its not impossible but pretty sure the current dev team for xbmc have little interest in doing it for themselves but are more than happy for someone else to try.
Here's a link with some info in it to get you started:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...hlight=PMS

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

thanks for the replies. Plex serving XBMC running confluence would really be a dream scenario. Homepage links would be sweet. Its the Plex navigation and looks i disslike. XBMC looks, and handles much nicer. And imo, looks play a big part in MediaCenter software.

Judging by the amount of posts relating to unified library, SQL and the likes, Im guessing someone smarter than me will make it happen.
+1
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

+2

PMS is great. definitely.
well... i would be a pleasure to help you, but i don't have any mac.
+3Big Grin
Is someone working on this feature? Would be great in my mixed XBMC/Plex setup.
I am very keen to get this up and running as a plugin for XBMC. My main concern is if its possible to have XBMC Plugins populate the "home page menu" and hide the real XBMC "Movies" and "TV Shows" automatically. or even better, merge the Plex stuff with your real database.

My main thing that is holding me off doing anything yet is you cannot yet edit the media info metadata (the video source and codec etc) as they still dont have the video source as info you can use (you know the BLURAY, HDTV, DVD tags?)
still I have found plex media server to be a very nice media manager but at the same time, is no match for XBMC's interface and skins. so the idea of plugging Plex into XBMC via a plugin is awesome IMO
I've never coded a plugin before or know where to start but I am keen to try it (along side Eumel and I's ATV3.0 Skin hehe)

oh btw I have Snow Leopard Server running 100% Vanilla on PC hardware as my PLEX media server test bed as well as standard SMB shares to XBMC. I have both a Mac mini running PLEX and Darma RC1 so i can code and test at home. just need some helpful coders that are willing to have me ask annoying questions Tongue
I know there are many topics on this already so I apologize, I'm just trying to find out if there are any plans to use the approach Alexandria is using - specifically doing away with the Video/Library mode separation, have an arbitrary number of libraries/categories etc and in general make everything a lot more flexible.

I know the current solutions to simulate this using smartlists, profiles etc but they are not very elegant and hide the basic issues. Since next release will be focused on Pvr, are there any plans to do this in the future, and possible merge Plex+Xbmc media management (I know there are differences of opinion between the 2 camps w.r.t the protocol used) ?
Their library code is closed source.
If you have problems please read this before posting

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I came back to XBMC after using Plex for a while, but I've still kept an eye on what they're doing. It sounds like it would be possible to use the Plex Media Server to manage your library and have XBMC read it, but 1) you'd need someone to code it into XBMC, and 2) as of right now the Plex server is OSX-only. Supposedly Windows and Linux ports of the server are forthcoming, but for now it would only be useful to Mac users.

And to clarify, it wouldn't be "merging" the Plex and XBMC libraries, it would basically be an add-on for XBMC to connect to and read a Plex library.
I would veto any such addition to XBMC core code or official XBMC addons repo. Such closed source projects that have used open source to try to leverage their market share should not be supported by an open source project such as XBMC.

If someone wants to pursue this as an unofficial addon, then they are welcome to do so.
MrCrispy Wrote:I know the current solutions to simulate this using smartlists, profiles etc but they are not very elegant and hide the basic issues. Since next release will be focused on Pvr, are there any plans to do this in the future, and possible merge Plex+Xbmc media management (I know there are differences of opinion between the 2 camps w.r.t the protocol used) ?

I think we'll gonna find out very soon. Any Sigma based commercial product will have to deal with files/library ambiguity and video library's constraints. However, I don't see Plex server as a solution - Xbmc needs to find it's own way.

IMHO, we will be populating and organizing our libraries differently or we shall witness the birth of another Xbmc fork. I sure hope for the first option but if a had to put my money, it would be on second one. Time will tell.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Plex Media Server Client in XBMC - Have XBMC support for Plex PMS protocol plex:// ?0